main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Darth Vader Broken Neck?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Force Smuggler, May 28, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd say it's sad but in line with all the other damages Anakin suffered.

SateleNovelist11 and mes520 like this.
  3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I wonder when he got it. I didn't think the injuries he suffered on Mustafar was neck breaking, but maybe they were. Perhaps he was dropped on his head when Obi-Wan cut off his arm and legs?

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I could see Vader getting one dueling against a powerful Force user(s) or against a group of rebels.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, most likely some leftover Jedi he was hunting down soon after ROTS gave him that.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    maybe in rebels coming up.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If bones are broken, they just heal right back into form, unless they completely shatter. My guess? Vader did this voluntarily to enhance his strength.

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Maybe, but spinals are tricky to heal in the first place. But yiu do make a point, its probably tiresome to hold up a heavy metal helmet 24/7.

10. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    could it possibly have been done in order to strengthen that area to handle the weight of his helmet and armor.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It would be pretty unfortunate if all the spinal bones get broken at once. That would also point to a voluntary replacement.

Vader already has so many cybernetics, why not have a few more if they benefit him? Those artificial bones are probably more durable than flexible ones which is good if you're thrown against a hard surface.

I think replacing all the spinal bones would also be very tricky.

12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Palpatine is a crafty old S.O.B. Way back when he was supervising Vader being plunked into that suit he figured, well, what if Vader actually gets his act together one day and tries to off me in Sith traditional style? So he put a few strategically placed bits of metal into Vader whilst he could, the better to facilitate any time he might need to get zappy with his uppity apprentice.

True story.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe we could see the cause in the Vader Marvel Series?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I've been knowing that ever since I read the essay about Darth Vader's injuries years ago. He didn't break his neck in ROTS, as he was able to move via dragging himself along the rocks and raising his head a time or two. If his neck were broken then, he wouldn't have been able to do that.

I think it happened at some point after ROTS, not sure when though.

15. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Interesting , but ...

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I was thinking this, the amount of time he wears the helmet combined with his ability to strengthen his neck muscles with his obvious disability. Or it could be precautionary as a way of strengthening his skeleton to match the strength of his prosthetic limbs.

Darth_Pevra and thejeditraitor like this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Vader had been through a lot. He had an iron will to live up until he elected to save his son from Sidious. He walked away from many, many things that would have killed most people.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There is this theme of Sith surviving the seemingly impossible. Maul, Vader ... and even Palpatine looks like a desiccated corpse in ROTJ who should be long dead.

But they still need a body to survive, they can't become ghosts according to TCW, they can't rise from the dead.

So no resurrected Plagueis, Palpatine or Vader in episode VII. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the villains find an old Sith Lord surviving the centuries in suspended animation.

Django Fett likes this.
  19. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    In the old eu, i used to think ot happened below
    [​IMG]
    From Darrh vader and the lost command. His has been seriously hurt here and is basically surving off the force and is have delusional angry visions. The femalenis a native shaman and the man is tarkins son. The next panel showsnhim in the empal surgical reconstruction clinic aka the med facility were the armor was first put on him. Palpatine states he brough the whole building a huge castle down on top of himself

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Good point. I was thinking about that, too. Vader had a great deal of self-loathing. But he also had a will to live and a fear of death. He had a desire for revenge and power that made him keep on living.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, rejection is almost too weak a word to describe how Vader viewed his former self. It takes a very special kind of insanity to refer to your former self as a different person. One scene in the Tarkin novel that stands out to me is that when Palpatine talks about Vader and Anakin like they are the same person, Vader immediately corrects him. Palpatine, being a simple sociopath, is not fully capable of grasping the complexities of Vader's mind.

But yes, his will to survive was even stronger than his insanity.

Senpezeco, jakobitis89 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
  23. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I never noticed it but I think it did happen during the rots fight. Jedis are able to jump so high and when Anakin jumped he couldnt break his fall because his limbs got cut off. So yeah even though Hayden lifts his head up some GL had already had the idea that Vaders injuries came from The Duel with obi wan when making rotj.

24. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Probably just another thing Lucas forgot about when he made the prequels...