main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Excellent start of the series! Everything from Vader and Palpatine, the writing, the art (omg, the art is gorgeous!) is just superb. And I dont care when people say that they dislike the canon explanation behind kyber crystals. I am loving the concept of bending kyber to your own will as a Sith.

revan772, darklordoftech and Vialco like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

I think that's a safe assumption, just as he was zapping Luke at a lower setting. When he zapped Vader in ROTJ, the lightning sparked off the armor, burnt gouges into it, and showed Vader's skeleton. He was trying to kill.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Good call, especially since I'm sure Palpatine wasn't using the full power on his lightning when he was messing up his face in Ep III.

4. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    That was my reading of the situation, he'd hardly want to kill his new apprentice without a replacement!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, probably just a get-his-attention, "Hey, stop that!" jolt.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    It was a decent start to a story, but did anyone else feel slighted since the story's setup was padded and not much really happens? If the lead story took place in a movie, it was about 10 minutes of a Star Wars movie. The 2nd story was cute, but overall I didn't feel like I received $5 worth of entertainment. This is the 1st modern Star Wars comic I feel this way about.

To be fair, I've been re-reading the Classic Star Wars title Dark Horse published, and this story would have taken place in about 5-10 pages in that format.

Regardless, I'm very excited to see what happens next.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It did a very good job setting up Vader's first arc. From what I have seen Marvel goes into a lot more detail than Darkhorse did (where as Dark Horse liked to give you more of an overview of the events in lots of different time periods). Just depends on what kind of style people prefer.

revan772, Vialco and SensationalSean like this.
  8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I always figured the Jedi's lightsabers were destroyed but I pictured it as a quiet thing in the background, not the freaking Nuremberg Rally in Space. This series is messed up, I love it.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I thought it was brilliant. I love how they continued the story immediately after ROTS, filling in that period and not leaving it to our imagination.
    Palpatine using Force lightning on Vader made complete sense to me. He's asserting his authority and quelling Vader's questioning attitude about Padme. He's telling him to back off and focus his anger elsewhere. It's a win win for Palpatine. As we knew before he has Vader in 'acceptable' armour because he wants him frustrated.

BigAl6ft6, Vialco and SilentGuy66 like this.
  10. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Maybe he was still on meds sustaining his life after the surgery so felt more stronger.. in ROTJ he was older, more tired etc so probably the force lightning effects were more damaging to him..

11. Pua

Pua Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2010
    I really liked the drawing of some of Vader positions. You can see he is Anakin from Episode III and not the Vader we know from the OT. It's like he is still getting used to his new costume (or armor as Palpatine called it).

12. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

That was a cool addition to the backstory.

In much of the EU I've read, Palpatine has dissuaded Vader from hunting Jedi, so it was refreshing to see him task Vader to get his lightsaber from a Jedi. This approach makes more sense to me and I hope we see more of this.

Vialco likes this.
  13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    In the EU (Legends), Vader already had a lightsaber when Palpatine didn't encourage him to go after Jedi. At the moment, it seems like it's a very important lesson for Vader to go after a Jedi in order to construct his lightsaber.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Or Palpatine was going full out then where he wasn't here so the force lightning didn't have the same effect.

15. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Really enjoyable issue, but I am left with some admittedly nitpicky questions:
    With this idea that Sith crystal has to be taken from a Jedi, there'd have to be an exception made for the Inquisitors, since they're not really Sith, right? Otherwise we'd have to assume a pretty healthy supply of Jedi out there who were good enough to survive Order 66 but weak enough to be killed by an Inquisitor without a lightsaber.
    Also, isn't the current Darth Maul series supposed to be his first encounter with a Jedi? Maybe Palpatine also gave him a waiver on the rule since he didn't consider him a f'real apprentice.
    I was also a big fan of Mas Amedda's crazy propaganda rally. I hope we get more scenes dealing with early Republic-Empire transition stuff.
    Maybe Sidious just made up all this "must be taken" stuff to keep Vader busy while he takes care of paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrDarth0 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I really, really, really hope the Jedi whom Vader faces on this planet is an old established character. Shaak Ti or Quinlan or Coleman Kcaj or Eeth Koth would be really cool.

revan772 likes this.
  17. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    I bet 20 thousand republic credits that it's this guy

[​IMG]

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And who might that be? Looks a little like Cin Drallig or Dass Jennir mixed with Roblio Darté and Rahm Kota.

spicer likes this.
  19. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    I bet another 20 thousand credits that its a new character. (Hopefully I wont by broke by the end of the third issue :D)

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

Son of a Bith, BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Double post

23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Triple post

24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Character name, from series writer Charles Soule:

25. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    Credits will do, and now I am filthy rich!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.