main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. FalconStang

FalconStang Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2017
    One day more shall understand the difference between anger and what you are describing Vialco. It's obvious GL did when he invented the character. True understanding is like the difference between knowledge and wisdom.
    "Those who are knowledgeable learn from prerecorded facts in works of others, those considered wise have gained their wisdom through experience which is more costly than any other learning known."

2. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    Felt like a pointless action scene to pad a weak story tbqh.

Character wise he was Darth Vader before he put on the suit in ROTS so I agree his behavior here doesn't line up.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yeah but to be fair it's impossible to do right. The problem here is that Lucas didn't really care to link Anakin and Vader together when it comes to behaviourisms. It's like they have incompatible personalities and I'm not talking about one being light and one being dark here.

As for this series I have decided to wait how it will continue. Maybe killing clones is just a phase of Vader trying to prove to himself how evil he is.

4. starwarsfan54

May 29, 2017
    Pretty much.

In the OT Vader's character is inconsistent.

He goes from snarky bragger in ANH to terse and independent in ESB to fatalistic slave of the Emperor in ROTJ.

5. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    I believe that the reason, if reason may ne named at all, behind why Lord Vader and Anakin have such dissimilar ways is due to a condition that reflects a dissociative type of disorder usually experienced by victims of PTSD or other mentally distressing things. Padme dying basically by his own hand and before that the rancid destruction of the younglings and padawns in order to keep her alive caused a mental break with his feeling side and allowed the rage and anger to blow like a volcano under too much pressure. The continued death, destruction, and rage releases were simply a continuation of the original in an effort to quell painful memories of a youth and childhood of hope, love, and successes in favor of blinding rage to survive on. It's sad, but logical in it own way. Most people look abhorred when I tell them that Vader is my favorite character, but his strength of character isn't destroyed even after he went through and did in anger when he put the hamner down on Palpatine and saved Luke. At that point he justified Padme telling Obi-Wan that '...there is good in him...' and there was still goodness and hope there and Luke freed it once more.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's kinda my head-canon too but I don't think portraying "PTSD" was the intention behind it all.

Hm no, I'd call that character development. We get enough information as to why he acts the way he does in the later films.

7. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    I won't pretend expertise in any medical diagnosis or mental sciences, however I know from my life and my jobs it would explain alot. I shall remain an avid die-hard fan of Vader's character and willfully state that the Rouge One uses were beyond awesome, yet this comic is my personal buzz-kill, and for for many reasons beyond those i've stated thus far. *sighs mumbling 'oh well, what the sith ne way my peoples, my star warsians, lend me your tolerances'*

Thanks for enduring my rantings ya'll, I quote Dennis Miller by saying, 'That's just my opinion, (a very sarcastic and sardonic smile) I could be wrong

8. ExplosivEwok

ExplosivEwok Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2017

The way I see it, Vader and Anakin are two different people. Anakin at this point hates himself so deeply that he retreats, and nothing at all - save his son - can pull him from that suffering. Darth Vader takes over fueled by anger and hate to dominate his persona and kill off everything Anakin ever cared about.

9. ExplosivEwok

Jun 27, 2017

More than that, you see the changes in his character throughout the first DV comic. Getting put in his place by the Emperor post-ANH and having to fight his way back to the top. The fatalistic slave of the Emperor bit is something that was always with him, you just only really see it in the presence of Palpatine himself.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Palpatine is a scapegoat. It's easier to blame someone else, your master, than dealing with all the sins you committed yourself. "I must obey my master" was nothing but a lie imho.

We see previously that Vader follows Palpatine quite willingly. Palpatine doesn't need to use cruel methods of punishment (usually, the first issue of this series was the exception) because he can use Vader's greed and lust for power against him.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This issue was so darn cool because it was excessively Vader-murder focused and he held a freakin' grenade from exploding. I will say, the clones being in ver. 1 armour did kinda throw me but let's just say they've been out there a long time, missing the Clone Wars entirely and when Order 66 kicked in they just threw the Jedi out the airlock.

As for Vader murdering the clones, I absolutely buy it. First off, he's testing his limits and ability. Second off, it's been a real rough week. Third, and most importantly, there are two ways to go with Vader and clones A) he would either be receptive to them because Anakin spent much time with them and thought their skills were useful B) he would want them dead and gone because it's a tie to his past life as Anakin Skywalker. Which he hates. This goes with B and I approve.

Son of a Bith and spicer like this.
  12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. He reverted to being a slave again, with Palpatine as his master. He was imprisoned by his own hatred.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's not what a slave is. Slaves are forced to do the others bidding. Slaves are victims, while Vader was a perpetrator of violence. Vader chose to serve Palpatine out of his own dark will, their relationship is more akin to employee and employer. Heck, Vader as Sith had more personal freedom than he ever had as a Jedi.

By claiming that Vader was a slave, you're taking away agency and responsibility for his evil actions.

14. starwarsfan54

May 29, 2017
    Vader's character was reinvented in each movie because Lucas didn't have an overarching plan for him at the time.

In ANH Vader wasn't Luke's father he was just a generic villain and the Emperor was just a figure head with the real power being in the hands of the Governors like Tarkin, in ESB he was plotting to overthrow the out of touch Emperor and probably become the main antagonist of the series, in ROTJ the Emperor is several steps ahead and Vader becomes some type of victim with the dark side being a drug the dealer/emperor hooked him on.

The character is most consistent in the prequels with him being a "road to hell is paved with good intentions" fallen hero.

15. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    If u really want to be confused by GL's intent for Star Wars go read the comic book called 'The Star Wars'.
    Crazy cool but not resembling the Star Wars we know and love much.

cwustudent likes this.
  16. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    If you read the rough draft for any creative person's initial attempt it would look completely different. George Lucas's intent for Star Wars is what we see on the screen.

First drafts are just that. Don't confuse unpolished with true vision.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

17. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Regardless of various iterations of Vader's character, it's cool that we're still able to debate him. Between the OT, the prequels, TCW and the post-Disney material, there's so much about him!

18. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    I just enjoy getting to view a master storyteller's begining to the greatest fiction story ever written. Since I enjoy writing stories my self it's interesting to see how someone else works through the chatacterand storyline evolution. And I believe the comic was based off of the original screenplay. I've often wondered how it would've coinsided with GL's want to make it into an opera in the begining.

19. ExplosivEwok

Jun 27, 2017
    That's all true, but there have been plenty of stories since then to explain why he is the way he is in each of those instances.

FalconStang likes this.
  20. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    {That's all true, but there have been plenty of stories since then to explain why he is the way he is in each of those instances.
    ExplosivEwok, Today at 1:41 PM}

I agree here completely. Whatever the original intent we all now know the Dark Lord of the Sith all too well. And I reiterate that Vader remains one of my favorite characters, the other should be obvious by my avatarial name of course.

21. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I realy agree with you that it would be very interesting to see the Inquisitors in their own series. I would imagine that Vader will be even more involved in the creation of the Inquisitorius than originally expected, and that´s why this possibility of including this story in his comic. Still, I understand the idea of bringing this part of Vader´s journey to canon as soon as possible: they are probably wanting to present new ideas and start over, leaving Legends´ version of things behind.

In fact, I think Darth_Pevra is exactly right about Vader: to me it´s not that much like "Palpatine is my master and I must obey him", like Vader said in ROTJ, but more like "I´ve done everything for the very best reasons and everything that went wrong with it is the Emperor´s fault: he calls the shots, right?", so I´m hoping to see in this comic the transition from Ep.III Anakin/Vader to the one we saw in Gillen´s comic, shielded by this line of thinking... until that fateful moment when he learns about Luke, and realizes that he is just not that comfortable taking orders after all...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I honestly hope we do not see the transition from Episode 3 Vader to post Episode 4 Vader in this specific series. There is no way they will do 20 years the justice it deserves before the title is cancelled. There is so much room for development over that time, that to see it all take place now would feel like we were being cheated.

As soon as Anakin got his suit, he didn't just instantly become the Vader we see in Episode 4. And it certainly didn't happen within the first 5 years either.

There are going to be tough choices for Vader to make as he slowly kills Anakin within himself.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Son of a Bith and spicer like this.
  23. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    You are absolutely right. I meant a gradual progression, and not something radical that presented a definitive answer right away. In fact, if something felt wrong to me about the RODV novel, was the fact that Vader ended up using pretty much every trick we saw him do in the OT, from saberthrows to overwhelming an opponent with telekinesis, in pretty much a month after being in the suit... it gave me the feeling that there was no room for improvement after that. And that´s just talking about fighting abilities: there is much more interesting development to be made in the way he perceives the galaxy, the Republic, the Jedi, etc...

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    One can argue that Vader finally killed Anakin in Darth Vader #24 (the Gillen series). Or if not, then he was certainly struggling with that up until 1 year after ANH.

BigAl6ft6 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  25. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    Actually Lord Vader never totally kills his inner Anakin. In ROTJ Anakin finally surrenders his self hatred, rage, and anger the way Yoda and Obi-Wan always taught him to by sacificing his wants, needs, and desires in order to save the only part of Padme that was left which was of course his son Luke. That's why we see the three 'blue-glowies' of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda standing together as friends and loyal fellow knights of their order once again. Watch out after-life cause The Boys Are Back in Town.