main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, I can't believe we've never seen Vader hunting down fugitive Jedi after the creation of the Empire before... this has been an untapped market, especially in comics!

2. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Remember when Vader killed Plo Koon's niece?

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that was a good issue.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He killed 50 in the first Purge comic.

Not really, but that was the legend Palpatine made.

SilentGuy66, spicer, DelRiego and 2 others like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That said, while we've seen this story before (Purge, Dark Lord, etc) it'll be really nice to see it without the post-ROTS era "Vader is pathetic" vibe. I was always annoyed by that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I wouldn't say he was pathetic in that stuff. He was just still transitioning and was kinda emo like pretty much every Sith right after they turn. I mean Bane turned then became a cry baby for 2 chapters "I don't like killing" "I don't want to murder people all the time" wimp. :rolleyes:

revan772 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sounds good to me. I liked the DH comics from this time period and am looking forward to this, especially with Soule writing.

spicer likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'll be interested to see how Vader's characterised.

LORDS OF THE SITH, set eight years later, depicts him as being unwaveringly loyal to the Emperor -- idolising him, even -- so I hope if there are still traces of Anakin's "we could overthrow him!", we see them thoroughly extinguished by the end of this series.

In fairness, the immediate aftermath of RotS is basically the only time when it's excusable. I'll be surprised if we don't get some moping. After all, again from LOTS:

"Once, he'd found the armor hateful, foreign, but now he knew better"

Damn, I enjoyed that novel.

9. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    We might get some moping and it's understandable, as long as it's not Darth Vader and the Lost Command levels of moping.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, they'll go for three trades Jammin, so at least 17-18 issues.

Vialco likes this.
  11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    *sigh*. I do like seeing Vader in more stories.....but they should focus on other darksiders (not named Maul) in comic format before getting another Vader series. What about Star Wars: Dooku? Mixed with flashbacks as him being a Jedi then getting his dark pre-AoTC self. Or Ventress getting her own series, exploring her early days as Dookus apprentice and learning more about her past. Another possibility is a mini series about the Inquisitor organization, seeing various inquisitors including the grand one. Learn more about their inner workings.

12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    There will be Inquisitors for the Vader comic too, so it's not just the same usual darksiders.

As for Dooku, I would love a book about him (preferably written by Luceno) but I don't think that character works well as the protagonist of an ongoing Marvel series.

iPodwithnomusic and SilentGuy66 like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Something covering Dooku a little before TPM through the start of AOTC would be appreciated imo.

14. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010

Not necessarily. There's already a third volume of Poe Dameron up for pre-order on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Po...3&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+poe+dameron+vol+3 .

Unless something changes, we should be getting at least 19 issues.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I couldn't be more excited and more nervous at the same time. A Vader comic series set during my favorite sub-period (can I call the "immediately after ROTS" setting like that :p ) of my favorite period in SW? Written by Soule who wrote Lando and Obi-Wan&Anakin? He also writes Poe Dameron which I find kinda meh, but hey, he wrote two A+ SW comics so far! Also the early Inquisitorious? Yes please, IIRC I asked for that exact story in the "Dream Book" thread some time ago [face_dancing] Maybe Marvel does take our wishes in consideration after all.

Here's why I'm nervous - this comic will overlap for sure with my two favorite SW things ever which are both Legends. Will it contradict anything in Dark Times and The Rise of Darth Vader? I sure hope not, as Vader's appearance in Dark Times is very sparse and when he did appear it was brief and didn't impact anything other than the original characters in the series. So, it won't be the easiest thing to mess with Dark Times. As for Dark Lord, how cool it would be if this comic validated that novel even more than Tarkin did? I guess there's some hope for my head canon, although I'm beginning to prepare for "the worst"...

That all said, I'm still disappointed that Marvel didn't hire Ostrander, Duursema, JJM or even Doug freakin Wheatley to work on this. Don't get me wrong, the team on this one is great, however, hiring SW comic veterans would be nice. But there's always the next series.

Barriss_Coffee, Vialco and Daneira like this.
  16. Jordan D. White

Jordan D. White Marvel Comics Editor VIP

Mar 26, 2015
    No plans for any cancellations this year, so long as the books keep selling.

17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Guess we'll soon have a total of four ongoings plus a regular mini from Marvel. Now all I need is a similar Kanan series revival [face_praying]

Also, who else expects Vader's mustafar castle to appear at some point

Emperor: Lord Vader you'll be happy to know I've begun construction on your own personal castle as reward for your service to me
    Vader: That is unnecessary my master
    Emperor: Nonsense my friend. After all you've fought for and suffered your own personal retreat on mustafar is just what you deserve
    Vader: Mustafar master?
    Emperor: What better place for solititude, wouldn't you agree my apprentice?
    Vader:.......

18. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I don't really know the literary side of Star Wars, but this sounds interesting. Now, where would one find a sword and maybe run into an inquisitor....
    [​IMG]

Vialco likes this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Actually came back to post this. I'm especially curious how he met Vaneé, a character who's name seems to clearly imply a Naboo ancestry. I'd love it if he's not actually someone linked to Palpatine or a Sith cultist or anything, but one of Padme's old family or friends. Living on Mustafar, with no one around but your dead wife's relative... lots of good memories for Ani!

20. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Vader, desperately trying to make amends for what happened with his wife, approaches the Naberrie's:

"Your daughter was murdered by the traitorous Jedi. The Empire would make reparations. What do you desire?"

"Well, cousin Vaneé has been out of a job for a while..."

DelRiego, Vialco, revan772 and 9 others like this.
  21. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    See the Empire is great. Palpatine and Vader fixing unemployment. And to think people call GrandAdmiralJello crazy for serving them.

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Looks like Christmas came early again! [face_dancing]

vncredleader likes this.
  23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Nice to have now 2 SW Vader 1 :D

24. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Exactly and Palpatine speeches on the state of the galaxy are always inspiring and uplifting.

Palpatine "The Only thing we have to fear is.....The Jedi Order....and Remants of the Separatist....and Rebels....Aliens....Outside threats....."

vncredleader likes this.