main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I get that Vader was supposed to be "angry", I'm not dense. The act still seems out of character considering how he usually behaves.

La Calavera likes this.
  2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I am sorry but I just don't agree with this at all.

In context of this story, the only things you should be considering are Episodes 1-3, and Clone Wars.

This is a boy, who was born a slave. Had anger at not being able to do anything about it, and all he wanted to was to free his mom.

Then a group of strangers appears out of the sky, and says you have gifts, let us help you develop them. Young boy has had no father figure but his "owner" Jabba, and his "owner/boss" Watto. Great guys, I tell you.

So now, a caring, gentle, and encouraging man comes and tells you he free you, but not your mom.

You make a promise to your mom that when he has trained you to use your gifts, you will come back and save her.

He is killed before you learn his middle name.

His apprentice, steps up and says, I may not be able to do it as well as he could, but give me a chance to train you.

Knowing that training is all you need to save your mother, you agree, again you are still a child.

Years go by and you finally have a chance to save your mom. Along the way, you reconnect with your first crush, and finds out she kinda digs you too.

You guys go on a second date, and try to save your mom. She dies in your arms and her killers are surrounding you. You rage slaughter them all.

Now the only two people who you really care for try to support and love you. For a couple years this is the best time on your life. Your best friend is pushing you to develop your talents more and more, your wife supports you and tells you that you are going to be a dad.

Then you start having dreams. Dreams that right now, the best time of your life, is about to be crushed and taken from you.

You reach out to your peers and friends. They tell you the future is clouded.

You reach out to another fatherly figure who has kinda been in the background your whole life. He is kinda weird, but he always seems to really support you. He is literally the only one who seems to be concerned about your problem.

He twists your reality and convinces you that your friends and peers COULD help, but they aren't going to.

In order to save one of the TWO people you love, you have to turn your back on ALL your friends and peers for the last 10 years. The last person you have to turn your back on is the one other person who you love.

In betraying everyone and turning on them, you don't save the one person who you just sacrificed EVERYTHING for.

Two days after being told your wife, mother to your unborn child is dead, you are tasked with hunting down a Jedi. Someone who could have tried to help you save your wife, but instead kept the knowledge to themselves. (At least in your twisted reality).

The data for where a Jedi is, could be in a database full of red tape.

Instead of waiting for the proper procedures and clearances, you move to take exactly what you need, allies and enemies be damned.

Yes, there is perfect narrative context for why Vader would slaughter a squadron of clones. Or slaughter a tribe of Tuskens. Or hunt down an murder a hiding Jedi. Or choke out an officer that is questioning his orders. Or slam Palptine against the medical bay where he was "reborn". Etc.

Vader has a lot of lee-way in my mind for wanton violence for quite a while.

------

Sorry for the length, thanks for reading.

I didn't even put in anything about Ashoka...and I just don't have the finger capacity on my phone right now. Maybe I'll go back and edit later.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Vialco, BigAl6ft6 and ManWithoutAStar like this.
  3. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    "Vader" has been an entity for all of a week. How in the world could he have established a pattern of behavior yet?

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Who's to say Vader's out of character? We didn't create him, it's the Story Group making his journey now. We've never seen him in this timeframe yet, so it's not out of character at all if we've never seen him in character right after Episode III.

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Soule and Gillen talk about Darth Vader(2015) and (2017)

BigAl6ft6 and Cynda like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It doesn't fit with Anakin Skywalker either. You can try to sell this part of the comic all you want, I'm not buying.

cwustudent, melkor834 and La Calavera like this.
  7. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    The entire of village of women and children Tuskens. Who would have been more defenseless than Clones? That was Anakin.

An entire class of Palawan learners, hiding and fearing for their lives? Anakin-Vader.

BigAl6ft6, SilentGuy66 and DelRiego like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yeah, and in both situations the context was different, pal. But I get a certain feeling you're not interested in a fair discussion.

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    They started to talk about issue 2 around 14:25, and they mention this same discussion. It's basically Vader who has no one left but the emperor and if he stops and reflects on his choices, he will no longer be able to function.

BigAl6ft6 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  10. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    What? I am very open to a fair discussion. I have been offering examples and counterpoints. I haven't been trying to shut you down or belittle your comments back.

Please, discuss.

I am stating that I don't think that the context is different. I think that Vader, just days removed from losing his wife, (in his mind, unborn singular child), all of his friends and support system, is working through unimaginable rage and pain.

He is in the very classic sense working through his pain by setting his sights on a specific goal, so he doesn't have to dwell on his internal pain and thoughts.

Why do you think, in context of this story, he is acting out of character?

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin/Vader just lost all of his remaining limbs, got burned alive and is now in a permanent body suit. He lost his only chance at a happy life with Padme and his child's death (he doesn't know about their surivival afterall) and what he views as the betrayal of his best friend. Adding to that he's also basically forced to be the Emperor's slave for life. And all of this happened like 3-4 days ago, a week at most. It's still a very fresh wound for him.

Why are people questioning why he would be extremely angry over this when it's only been a fews day ago since it happened. OT Vader has had years to calm down and process what happened.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    A very angry, very powerful individual that was promised a lot, lost more than he thought possible two days ago. The context the way I see it at least, is that after his loss, he needs to vent his excessive anger and prove his powers that he's probably not sure he has to the extent he did. Not very rational, but he's been in the suit for 2 or 3 days only. I agree with you that a Vader like this is not someone that should be presented after this arc wraps up, but even after that we shouldn't be given the Vader from R1 and onwards rightaway. Anakin was very emotional, and an early Vader wouldn't be the most calculating and cunning Sith Lord ever. Just my opinion.

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Soule confirmed the next arc is going to be about the founding of the Inquisitorius. I wonder if they're starting from scratch there or how much Legends stuff they'll reference.

14. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    How long does the acceptable period of acting out in rage/pain statute last?

I can't imagine having to work with Leia in the Senate, acting with every bit the same passion and drive as her mother, and not knowing why she stirs up emotions of Love, Loss, and Protection within you.

Clearly in Episode IV, it wasn't the first time that Vader and Leia had met. With the connection to the Force that Anakin has, something had to of broken loose inside of him and he would have acted irrationally. This would have been 16 years after ROTS right?

Oh gosh. I so want this story told now. Maybe Vader and Leia are assigned a committee duty together and Vader has to rage kill after every monthly meeting the committee holds.

BigAl6ft6, cwustudent and Daneira like this.
  15. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I am familiar with his sad story.

But, sad story is one thing, personality is another. He has never been a character that normally takes it on random targets because he is angry at something else. That is actually a defining trait of Kylo Ren instead.

It’s personality traits that make the characters what they are, not random actions tangentially related to sad stories. Anakin/Vader had always been a character with precise targets and goals, and an MO with its own internal logic. There has always been a direct link between cause and action with him, link that is strongly established in the narrative. He didn’t kill sand people because he was just pissed off at something else. He didn’t kill children because he was mad at Obi-Wan. Or, he is being completely irrational and does something he regrets like choking Padme, and that irrational/unintended behavior is also established in the narrative.

Killing troopers doing their job as servants of the regime he believes for not reason whatsoever, was never established in any narrative of this character whatsoever, there was not even a narrative set up in the comics for this. On the contrary, it does a 180 on the character he was days before, and erases previously established depth/personality in favor of shallow badassery. I was expecting still be a sense of “this is the character that continues from movies/TCW” in these series, and naturally a character that would evolve from that to the man he was in ANH, but what I’m getting so far seems to be Jason Voorhees instead.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That'd happen after any meeting Vader has to make, he's not a 'meetings' person.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Twisted by the Dark Side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... Consumed by Darth Vader.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He's never befor or after killed without any reason. Even force choking Padme was an act of revenge because he thought she betrayed him. And that's because he needs reasons and justifications for killing. Deep down there is still a conscience that absorbs and questions all his doing.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

La Calavera likes this.
  19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I agree, though to be fair, the new canon has been very insisting on the idea that Anakin and Vader are totally, completely and utterly different persons. Like, guy has a personality disorder or something.

But it would be interesting if this issue wasn’t just a pointless filler but part of an underlining storyline that would eventually deal with the psychological repercussions on Vader. I mean, we already know about the physical obstacles he has to overcome and we know he will succeed, but we still don’t know the emotional ones (which I hope they exist – otherwise this will be a rather boring and repetitive tale).

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    I'm not a fan of this version of Vader to be honest. It feels like he his some brute savage with no control of his emotions. At the same time he moves/talks and uses the force like he's been in the suit for decades. I was hoping this "year one" Vader would be more about him adjusting to his new suit, re-learning to use the force, re-attune his saber skills and slowly become the Vader we know. It all just feels so strange and disconnected to me. It would have been nice to get into his headspace more and see how broken/emotionally destroyed he is. Instead we see a driven and commanding Vader that seems to have moved on from his past life and is a willing and obedient servant to the Emperor. Zero conflict and no stakes. None of it feels earned. I would have enjoyed a portrayal more in kin with Rise of the Dark Lord novel that came out years ago where Vader makes a more gradual progression to accepting his new dark fate.

T7-01 likes this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Well, unlike Legends, in canon Vader's suit isn't poorly made, but rather the best cybernetics and prosthetics the Empire could provide. Even then, it's a poor substitute for flesh and blood, but Vader finds the suit acceptable. When he's in it, he can't feel the pain of any of his injuries. He feels completely whole and is able to move around with agility and strength. Palpatine wanted an apprentice with strength and ordered the best scientific minds in the Empire to rebuild Vader and spare no expense. Despite his injuries, Palpatine still believes Vader will be the greatest apprentice he ever had. Yes, he's limited and a shadow of what he could have been before Mustafar, but even now he's very powerful. In some ways, the suit makes him more formidable then before. He tanks blaster shots in that thing and can make amazing leaps with his new legs. I know I've said that suited Vader isn't the equivalent of unsuited Anakin elsewhere, but that's not due to the suit at all, but rather Vader's lost potential from his mutilations and burns.

DurararaFTW and Charlemagne19 like this.
  22. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Which makes absolutely no sense in canon. If Vader's suit is the "best" the empire can provide than where exactly are the extra twirling appendages and advanced cybernetics that Grevious had? The fact he just puts on the suit and feels no pain or injury also goes against the idea that he's filled with rage and agony from the injuries that make it hard for him to breath and he has to readjust to living life in an "iron lung." None of this new canon makes any logical sense.

23. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

Man, the art in this issue was poor.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Vader's brain is still that of a human and humans aren't capable of using "extra appendages" like someone of Grievous' race is. I don't think that Sidious wanted to mess around with Vader's brain too much.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Also, while spinning may be a good trick, it's not everything. Vader's juggernaut-like fighting style has always seemed both more intimidating and more dangerous then the acrobatics of PT-era Jedi.

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1, Daneira and 2 others like this.