main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If they hit those dates, as usual keep an eye on the releases thread.

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    When it comes to stories centred around villains, the key thing to me at least is to make their story interesting. It is very difficult and almost impossible to sympathise with a villain character, like a potential inquisitor. But, if the story is captivating and I am eager to learn what happens next, then that's all I need. No need to like or root for the character, just hook me with their story.

3. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Huh? How is Vader any different from writing Wolverine or Batman or any other "immortal" character we KNOW isn't going to die? You just need to show his psychology and inner progression and how he's affected by the events around him. We don't need some Aphra character to show up and upstage him in his own book. Keep these stories about who they're supposed to be about Vader.

Regarding this issue, more I think about it the more disappointed I am. After stressing how unorthodox and dangerous this Kirak character was in the prior issue, his portrayal here isn't much different than your standard prequel era Jedi and the payoff of seeing Vader slay him isn't as strong. Kirak obviously had banished himself for a reason, he's mentally unstable and possibly has some sort of past demons he's running from. Yet the defeat simply felt underwhelming. It would have been interesting if Kirak laughed out loud or reacted with indifference or something when Vader threatened the village. Anything but the obvious reaction that makes just another brainwashed jedi who has no original thoughts. I was just hoping there would be more to his character.

4. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    I hope they do an issue to where we see how he feels about killing the Jedi and all that. I know that he believes that they are traitors, but I do hope that he starts having regrets and maybe dreams about Padme. I also hope we get plenty of back story for the Inquisitors as they were my favorite aspect of Rebels. And finally, with a certain Jedi now canonically alive, I wonder who else survived?

5. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Are you talking about Ahsoka and Caleb Dume? Ahsoka and Rex faked their deaths at Mandalore. Caleb took on a new identity in Kanan.

I would then assume that any other Jedi that survives Order 66 would have done so by faking their deaths or changing their identity.

Because all we have is ROTS to tell us who lives and died, the only ones we can be sure of that died are:

Saesee Tinn
    Kit Fisto
    Agen Kolar

Mace Windu*

Ki-Adi Mundi
    Ayala Secura
    Plo Koon
    Stass Allie

Younglings and Zett Jukassa, Cin Drallig

Luminara Unduli (via Grand Inquisitor)

Kirak Infil'a (via Darth Vader)

Jocasta Nu (pending)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Foreknowledge. I literally know how Vader's story will end. That is the difference.

7. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Old Man Logan. The Dark Knight Returns. Hell even Sherlock Holmes has a "final" story ending according to his author and yet we still see millions of stories about him. Knowing how he's going to eventually meet his demise is not very important. We want to see how he gets there.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not certain there is a market for introspective Vader.

One of the things that Path to Nowhere in Dark Times did was have Vader be shown the Empire was using slaves. What made it clever was Wheatley's art gave an indication of the revelation affecting Vader, but nothing more as to how - it was a really fine balance but very effective.

9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    The art was so good that you could tell how the masked Vader felt from those panels.

MandaloreRex2015 and redxavier like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That was the brilliance of it.

spicer likes this.
  11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I'm not familiar with OML or TDKR. Maybe you can elaborate?
    I disagree. [face_peace]
    I agree. [face_peace]

12. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Barriss. ANSWER IT story group.

13. KamNale

Feb 11, 2012
    Well from TCW they have Sinube and the younglings. Perhaps he gathers them and escapes somewhere and Vader and the Inquisitors find them. Speaking of Inquisitors all the ones we've seen are alien. If they continue doing aliens what kind would you guys like to see? I personally would love a more obscure alien that was in the background of one the movies. Amani, Chevin, Florn Lamproid, Xexto, etc.

14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I remember that comic. The thing that really sold it is Vader and Palpatine standing exactly where Anakin and Obi-Wan had their last chat before Utapau.

15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    That´s very interesting! I would like to see a Quarren, since they are one of my favorite background alien, and it would be reminiscent of the quarren Sith from Legacy. An Umbaran could make a good Inquisitor too, I think... and well, they could always include a certain Miraluka in there :D...

MandaloreRex2015 and KamNale like this.
  16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I hope they don't go that route as a version of that story has been told already. See Dark Times: Fire Carrier.
    Jedi Master Zao protects a group of younglings that survived Order 66. Master Zao has some vague similarities with Sinube, particularly regarding their lightsabers.

Xexto Force user would be awesome!

cwustudent and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    So I read Issue 4 too:

The fight was very rushed and it is sad to see Kirak Infil'a go. Especially because we won't see him in a near future again. I wish they would have developed this fight more in the second issue instand of doing a clone massacre.
    I have one question: Why couldn't Kirak free himself from the force choke?

18. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

I guess
    that while Kirak was being choked he was also trying to support the dam structures that Vader was breaking apart.

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually, there doesn't seem to be a way to break a Force Grip in canon. At least not directly. The only way to escape another Force-Wielder's grasp is to distract them and disrupt their concentration, as Kirak did in the previous issue.

20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Just got caught up. Vader's a cheater when it comes to duels but we knew that from The Empire Strikes Back when he literally threw everything but the kitchen sink at Luke. :D

21. KamNale

Feb 11, 2012

That was actually the story I was thinking of lol, but perhaps they could do something different.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader "cheated" I would think but the Sith cheat anyway and he's not the brute force headbreaker he is in the OT now. Besides, the "Come"! panel was fantastic, probably some of my favourite art in the series here.

Karl0413 likes this.
  23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    They really do include Clone Wars characterization in planning these comics. I totally read these lines in Matt Lanter's voice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That glove looks distressingly non-invincible.

Dante1120, DurararaFTW and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But that's the left glove.