main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    He didn't ask her to join him though, he only said that Palpatine will show her mercy if she told him where the remaining Jedi are hiding but he knows that "there is no mercy" for Palpatine. I think her taking him off guard and splitting his helmet thus revealing Anakin's face and then hearing Matt Lanter's voice intermixed with James Earl Jones was pretty effective, imo.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Of course it was effective, it was also the simplest way he could show the humanity inside of the suit. To do it without revealing the human face, like Lucas did in Empire and ROTJ, is a lot harder (but more interesting imo. because humanity is not defined by looks, some real monsters look pretty). Only at the very end do we get to see the face of a man.

La Calavera likes this.
  3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I agree with you, but the TOTA episode wasn’t about Vader and Ahsoka, at least not in the same way ROTJ was about Vader and Luke. So I understand why the episode didn’t spend much time investigating Ahsoka’s and Vader’s emotions for each other.

And for the limited time spent on them (unlike ROTJ where Vader and Luke had an entire conversation and an entire prolonged and chatty fight and more dialogue after Vader killed the Emperor), I think they managed to make the most of Ahsoka/Vader with minimum dialogue and minimum screen time in an extremely effective way. Because sometimes you don't need dialogue to paint the same picture.
    They did manage humanize Vader without denying his evil, and they did it without the aid of dialogue, which, I would argue, it's not that simple as it sounds. And not just because we saw a bit of his face. It's not like he felt more human in Rogue One just because we saw him taking a bath. It was mostly the way Rebels animated his eye expression, the creative use of JEJ’s and Lanter’s voices, and that odd, prolonged silence of Vader after Ashoka says “I won’t leave you”, as if he had to take a moment to evaluate his inner conflict before Lanter’s voice comes in to say “then you will die”.

I was, imo, a really well directed “little scene” that felt more dramatic and bigger than the time it took to tell it in the episode.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I agree with many of your points even though I still wanted more from that episode.

But why exactly? Why couldn't they, amidst all the nonsense like helicopter lightsaber and Ezra Bridgers annoying personality have taken the time? Wouldn't it have been better to invest say fifteen minutes in their confrontation?

5. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    You know what I realized? Yaddle isn't dead in the new canon. New enemy for Vader?

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She's not on the Council anymore by AOTC though. Which is probably why Legends (Jedi Quest) included a "how Yaddle died" story.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Because we're watching the show through Ezra's eyes. That's the reason why we didn't get to see what happened at the end and why we didn't get to see her investigating who the Sith Lord was throughout the season.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And to be fair, while you personally may not like Ezra, he is a more important character on this particular show than Ahsoka is.

(Also, bringing up the sabercopters is kind of silly, because while they were dumb it's not like they were some huge time sink).

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Filoni did warn us many times that Rebels was not meant to be the Ahsoka and Vader show.

theraphos, BigAl6ft6, KamNale and 4 others like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't have to agree with it.

11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Grootsplaining: explaining to the creator how he/she has misinterpreted their own creation. ;)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Vialco likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's not what I'm doing. I just think that the choice to make Ezra the be all and end all of the show is a bad one because the character plain sucks. I'm well aware that he is meant to be the focus of the show but when it doesn't work ... well.

As a consumer I don't have to care about whatever initial concept was behind a product, more important is the quality of said product. And less focus on Ezra would certainly have enhanced the entertainment value of the show.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Maybe you don't like him, but I do, and so do many others I imagine. I think the hate on him (and Rebels in general) is so overdone it gets disgusting to see at times. Watching season one in one sitting, Ezra really does develop over the course of it. That's when he sold me as a great lead for the show.

MandaloreRex2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, all power to you. I don't presume to speak for everyone. But if the show was doing so well they wouldn't have cancelled it.

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    They didn't cancel it though. Dave Filoni decided to end it because they're almost at ANH, and he thinks the character arcs are almost complete.

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yea that was a good decision. It's better to end something on a high note than to add stuff that doesn't get the series finished. We all went through that in TCW. There you have a canon, incomplete series.

Revanfan1 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, Season 4 is a shorter season - but that could also be from a desire to launch something new once TLJ clears up a lot of the mystery around the sequel era. Bottom line is we don't know enough to make "Rebels was cancelled because people don't like Ezra" anything more than total projection.

Also, remember when this thread was about the Darth Vader comics?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It wasn't canceled, though. If it were canceled I'm sure we wouldn't be getting he proper finale we're getting. They plan these things out far in advance, and they were working on season 4 a year ago, maybe later. I'm sure they knew that's where they were ending it. I'm sure they wouldn't cancel the highest rated show on XD.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  19. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    ^:)^

I'm curious where this series can go. Excited for the unexpected!

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    We're all impatient for the next issue cuz the last one was freakin' fantastic

Vialco and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  21. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    So I've got three questions for the upcoming issues.
    1. Why does Vader and GI both need to go after one (elderly) Jedi? Training?
    2. What other Inquisitors will we see in these comics? (Will we finally see Six? What other species are they?)
    3. What other Jedi are alive? Yaddle? Coleman Kcaj? Eeth Koth?

themoth, MandaloreRex2015 and kalzeth like this.
  22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I can't wait to read #6.

kalzeth likes this.
  23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yarael Poof, Shaak Ti, Quinlan Vos, Tsui Choi, Bultar Swan, perhaps still Luminara at this stage, and Tera Sinube. Obviously many could and should die off-screen (or off-page) but who knows at this stage.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Shaak Ti is dead. She was killed during the raid on the Jedi temple by Vader.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

themoth likes this.
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Which source? Yoda's vision doesn't cut it for me. There's no way she decides to record a message to future Jedi after the clones storm the temple and then just meditates until Anakin walks in stabs her in the back.

lmao nope

She's one of the most powerful and able Jedi - she's going down with a fight.

kalzeth likes this.