main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    LelalMekha in which movie has Darth Vader's first lightsaber hilt (pictured in the Visual Encyclopedia) appeared thus far, if any? He didn't have one in ROTS, and IIRC his hilt is different in the OT and R1.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That one didn't appear in any movie, AFAIK. It was made for the ROTS Visual Dictionary, where it was described as Vader's first Sith lightsaber, the one he built on Sidious' instructions after losing his Jedi weapon on Mustafar.

And in fact, he had a different hilt in all three OT movies. Looks like Vader had at least 4 different sabers:
    - The one created for the ROTS Visual Dictionary
    - the one from ANH/Rogue One
    - the one from ESB
    - the one from ROTJ

La Calavera and spicer like this.
  3. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Actually, the one from ROTJ is the same as ESB but the prop from ESB was lost in production so they had to make a new one (the took the old graflex which served as Anakin's blue saber). So the ROTJ saber is the same as ESB, but due to production hickups it looks different. Also, I am not sure about the ANH saber, because it should be the same saber as in Rogue One, but the Rogue One saber looks like the ESB saber!

I want those pictures! :D

But a picture comparisson: A New Hope saber:

[​IMG]

Empire Strikes Back saber + Rogue One Saber:

[​IMG]

The above image is the prop from ESB and this following picture is from Rogue One visual guide:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the ESB and Rogue One hilts are identical, and the New Hope should be the same as Rogue One, but visually it is not exactly same. My point? The saber in Rogue One/New Hope/Empire/Return is the same saber but looks different due to production. The same can be said about Anakin's blue saber. The hilt looks different in each of the movies.

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes, but the Visual Encyclopedia still refers to Vader having several Sith lightsabers throughout his career. Not one, not two, but several (three or more).

5. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017

Please post the pictures if you can, I do not have access to the VE.

6. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I already did. Go see the last post of this thread's 13th page. ;) You'll see that the same page has the ROTS saber labelled as "Darth Vader's first red lightsaber," and another one labelled as "one of Darth Vader's lightsabers." That means he's had at the very least two distinct weapons, although "one of [his] sabers" implies more that merely two.

revan772 likes this.
  7. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    Oh, I did not noticed that before. Thanks! :)

So its safe to say that the New Hope saber is different one. But if Rogue One looks different than New Hope hilt, I doubt he would bring another saber. Ergo, the R1/ANH/ESB are the same in my book.

Anway, how do you think Vader is going to get his first Sith lightsaber? Apparently it's supposed to be a Dark Excalibur type of quest. My guess is that he will find and "bleed" Mace Windu's crystal. That would be poetic.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This being Vader, he probably tinkers with it.

9. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

Exactly. Anakin tinkered with stuff at the Lars Homestead after his mother died in AOTC, so we know it's something he does when he's feeling down. He's probably feeling even worse all the time after Mustafar, so he would have modified his lightsaber often to cope with the misery and guilt.

There's no reason to over-complicate things by suggesting Vader had loads of different lightsabers because the hilt changed slightly from movie to movie. He just made changes.

10. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    I would say, that during the years, he had multiple ones, but the ones we see in the Rogue One and OT are the same one, he just tinkered with it.

SensationalSean likes this.
  11. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    What if Ahsoka destroyed one of the sabers during the duel on Malachor since Vader exited the battle damaged? We'll probably find out soon.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    You know, I'm used to working with what official sources actually say rather than my own explanations, even if they "make more sense".

13. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    In Rebels he had the same saber as he had in ANH. So its either the same one, or he used the same design for a new one.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  14. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    But when he leaves the temple, we don't really see the saber with him, do we?

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I prefer him sticking to just 1 blade during his duration as Vader.

16. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So does the first issue have a definitive release date yet? Don't remember seeing one in the topic, and the link provided in the first post simply states June.

17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    RE: Vader's changing lightsaber

Vader's suit also changes slightly over the course of the 4 (not including RO) films he appears in. Does this mean Vader goes to Doctor Cylo every few years for a tune up?

Personally I'm just of the mind that if it looks similar in each film then it's probably meant to be the same

MandaloreRex2015 and cwustudent like this.
  18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    He's not aware of Cylo until after ANH, or during the Darth Vader comics by Marvel. So I assume that the subtle changes to his suit were made either by him or someone other than himself and Cylo.

Darth_Voider and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I've always figured his suit and his sabers changed so much because, throughout his career as a Sith Lord, Vader is positively self-destructive and needs fixing constantly.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Given that Vader never met Cylo before their encounter in Sidious's office, that's impossible. I doubt Vader trusted anyone to upgrade his suit. He probably made any modifications himself. Which must have been few. It's canon that Palpatine used the best cybernetics available to rebuild his ruined apprentice.

MandaloreRex2015 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  22. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    That...that is simply beautiful! :)

23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    We need more Padme in the Canon!

bhagavandas and padme.sky like this.
  24. padme.sky

padme.sky Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2016
    OMG *my feels* :_|[face_love]
    If we see Vader raids her tomb for one last goodbye I will die.

25. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Is this cover a reference to something?