main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Grevious' bells and whistles did him no good in the end. Vader didn't need any of those, Sidious just wanted the suit to restore him to something like he was prior to his injuries (and make him look really badass).

Vialco, Daneira, Vthuil and 1 other person like this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It makes more sense than Palpatine hobbling his best weapon.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't think "agility" is the best word to describe suited Vader.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Lords of the Sith says you're wrong. ;)

Vialco likes this.
  5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Didn't read it. What did he do?

6. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I enjoyed #2, but missed Palpatine's puppet mastery (which, to be fair, works best when it's used sparingly) and found Camuncoli's art disappointing. I realize that his work is a quite stylized and normally appreciate it, but the depiction of Vader's helmet was inconsistent to the point where it became distracting.

It seems like this issue was more rushed than #1, which felt tidier overall. I had no problem with Vader's characterization, it makes sense that he'd be a bit rabid at this point and killing those clones seemed like a natural response to his violent urges.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More like what he didn't do! A highly mobile and agile death machine.

Vialco likes this.
  8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I take it you haven't seen Rebels.

[​IMG]

Edit: something wrong with the linking, Vader's moving much faster in the actual episode.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    So, after checking the brief description of Barash again, I believe I was wrong in stating that the concept was nothing new in Star Wars and that Zao would be an example of someone who has taken the Barash vow. The Barash vow is taken as a sort of punishment. Zao certainly didn't do that, and he's more of a hermit rather than an outcast or repentant, for a lack of a better term. Therefore, the Barash vow is to my knowledge at least a brand new thing in SW.

Now, given the info provided by the droid, it seems that Kirak is the only Jedi that's taken the vow in recent times. I'm curious if there are possibly others?

La Calavera and Vialco like this.
  10. FalconStang

FalconStang Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2017
    This is my first post on this message board, but i hafta say i'm disappointed in the whole bleeding kyber crystal bit. I have read so much Star Wars including the Sansweet Encyclopedia and I feel the take on Sith lightsabers, while very imaginative and fantastic, is a major error that will bite someone in the rear before it's over. First explain how Darth Maul had two if he had to murder several Jedi each in order to get them to bleed amd turn red. As blind as the council was supposed to be I think they'd notice that many Jedi being slaughtered w/o explanation. Perhaps I'm just an old hand that is intolerent of radical new (?!*garbage*!?) ideas about a tech that hasbeen explained all too clearly already, but this idea was way too out there for me. It really ticks me off that the idea leads to all Sith as evil instead of simply as selfish and power thirsty which is more accurate. As we know at the start the use of the Force was a three sided belief with three groups whose beliefs conflicted on one level or other. Like the Angela said, '...all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads...' Some Evil are Sith but not all Sith are Evil, just selfish and thirsty for self fullfilling power. I remain disappointed and hope they see the error they have made and retify it soon.

11. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    This is my first post on this message board, but i hafta say i'm disappointed in the whole bleeding kyber crystal bit. I have read so much Star Wars including the Sansweet Encyclopedia and I feel the take on Sith lightsabers, while very imaginative and fantastic, is a major error that will bite someone in the rear before it's over. First explain how Darth Maul had two if he had to murder several Jedi each in order to get them to bleed amd turn red. As blind as the council was supposed to be I think they'd notice that many Jedi being slaughtered w/o explanation. Perhaps I'm just an old hand that is intolerent of radical new (?!*garbage*!?) ideas about a tech that hasbeen explained all too clearly already, but this idea was way too out there for me. It really ticks me off that the idea leads to all Sith as evil instead of simply as selfish and power thirsty which is more accurate. As we know at the start the use of the Force was a three sided belief with three groups whose beliefs conflicted on one level or other. Like the Angela said, '...all toads are frogs, but not all frogs are toads...' Some Evil are Sith but not all Sith are Evil, just selfish and thirsty for self fullfilling power. I remain disappointed and hope they see the error they have made and retify it soon.

12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

As I've said before, there's no requirement that a Sith Lord take a kyber crystal from a Jedi for their lightsaber. Darth Sidious has ordered his apprentice to obtain his crystal this way to help him settle into his new situation. There's no evidence that Darth's Maul, Tyranus or Sidious obtained their lightsaber crystals from Jedi.

13. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    After an okay first issue, I am quite disappointed with the second one.

As others have already wrote, Vader killing the Clones without any need or reason to do so is just plain out of character. It seems its only there so they could give people a "cool" looking fight between badass unstoppable Vader and bunch of Phase II clones.

If their goal is to put at least one action scene with Vader into every issue (and I hope this isn't the case), then they should have him fight some pirates that took over the abandoned Jedi outpost, but I guess pirates are not as iconic as clone troopers, and that's what they obviously really wanted. Not something that makes sense, but something that looks iconic and will probably sell better with your average comic audience, that perhaps doesn't buy every single SW comic out there, but will buy Vader.

Also Vader seems to have mastered his suit pretty much immediately without any need for an adjustment period. In this, I very much preferred the Legends portrayal, where he actually needed some time to learn to use the strengths of his new armour.

I'm also not a big fan of his new ship, hope he won't be using it for too long. I would very much prefer if he would be using a modified black Eta-2 Interceptor like he did in Legends.

The new Jedi looks interesting and I'm getting some Musashi vibes from him, we'll see, hopefully he doesn't disappoint. Thou the fact that he was just created to be a story device to have something for Vader to kill doesn't bode well for his in depth characterization.

Overall have to say I don't have a very good feeling about this series after the first two issues. I'll keep reading and hoping it gets better, but so far it seems like Vader fan fiction to me.

I know I sound very negative, but the fact is that everything Marvel is doing was pretty much already done by Dark Horse, so people will obviously compare it with what DH did, and for me at least, DH is way above what Marvel did so far with Vader post-ROTS.

Ulicus and T7-01 like this.
  14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    That is a valid point. I agree that it's a bit odd that Vader has almost no issues figuring out how his suit works/feels so quickly. Yes, Anakin/Vader is a tech genius, but still, this is a bit too much.

It will be very strange if the doesn't. His black ETA-2 Interceptor is canon, and he used it 5 years after ROTS in Lords of the Sith. From the Gillen Vader series, we know that Vader owns a Naboo starship, much like Padme's (it may be her's ship afterall), so it's possible he'll keep this new ship too? Who's to say that Vader doesn't own several ships? He's second only to the Emperor, so no doubt he can afford such luxuries.

To be fair, Marvel just started exploring Vader post-ROTS, lets give them a chance. Although I agree that Dark Horse set a bar so high, that it will be extremely difficult for Marvel to live up to it. Not impossible though, so here's hoping :)

T7-01, Vialco and MrDarth0 like this.
  15. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    I thought this issue was great. This Barash thingy is a neat idea and very Jedi. Regarding the Clones murder, at least this close to Order 66, Vader hates them like he hates himself and Obi-Wan and the Emperor and literally everyone. He's in a really, really bad place right now. The OT shows he never gains much care for any of them. Though I assume he'll calm down (a bit) eventually.

16. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    (Vialco: As I've said before, there's no requirement that a Sith Lord take a kyber crystal from a Jedi for their lightsaber. Darth Sidious has ordered his apprentice to obtain his crystal this way to help him settle into his new situation. There's no evidence that Darth's Maul, Tyranus or Sidious obtained their lightsaber crystals from Jedi.)

I fully understand that fact. In fact I can readily agree with the veracity of its definition. However I still disagree with the view of the Sith being absolute murderous evil instead of simply selfish and craving of power. Also the idea that a kyber crystal must bleed to turn red. Only someone with a complete Bachelor of Science in Bovine Scatology would attempt to pass such off on anyone who reads, watches, or studies Star Wars. They should've stuck with the idea that crystals come in a variety of colors, amazing idea huh?, and left it at that. After all you have kyber, illum, adgean, corusca, and inumerable others that power a lightsaber well if not perfectly, do they all need to bleed in order to find red??

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    While Inquisitors will show up in this series, I wish instead of another Vader series they got their own series instead, letting them be the main characters. Fleshing out ones that appeared in Rebels and focusing on a new Inquisitor character. Vader could appear, but not as a main character. Jedi survivors could also be shown. Just not a fan of getting much more Vader even though his last series ended not so long ago. I'm sure it makes sense from a marketing perspective though.

Ithorians likes this.
  18. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The kybers are the only type of lightsaber crystal in canon. In their own fashion, the kybers are alive. They do things that defy science, which is why the Death Star took 2 decades to finish.

I personally like this new explanation for lightsaber crystals. It's more mystical and makes it impossible for any non-Jedi or Sith to create one.

As for the Sith not being absolute evil....have you seen the Prequels? The Sith have always been murderously evil. That's what full mastery of the Dark Side of the Force does to a person.

cwustudent likes this.
  19. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    I still disagree that the Sith are that version of evil. While I feel the same negative reaction to most Sith actions, I can understand Anakin's way of dealing with his world. The anger and hatred, including the self-hatred, are not evil just human. Very few murderers kill out of anger, most kill out of cold dispassion and a lack of identity with other people. Murderously evil by definition would be cold and without feeling, like Sidious. This is why I stand by my opinion. As far as canon goes, I refuse to publish my opinion. It wouldn't be likely to be printable anyway.

tatooinesandworm and spicer like this.
  20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree with FalcoStang's post above on this. The Sith are certainly evil, and perhaps aim to be absolute evil. But at the same time, they aim to be calculating and measured to an extent, not straight up slasher-horror villains. That's the impression I got from both Legends and canon, at least from the Sith Masters - they don't massacre sentients for the sake of it, or if they do, they do it rarely and it's not their prime objective (Lord Odion being one exception, although even he had an "excuse" as to why he wanted to kill everyone except for those he needed). And again, I understand why some people see Vader's actions in the last issue as out of character for him and Sith in general, but I still maintain that he's yet to adjust to his new self, both physically and mentally. It will (or at least should) take awhile before we see the Vader from the OT.

tatooinesandworm and Senpezeco like this.
  21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Anger is a normal, human response. Acting on that anger and hurting others is wrong. That's where the Jedi are right and the Sith are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  22. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

spicer likes this.
  23. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    *bows jedi style to spicer and tatooinesandworm*

I guess i'm too human and traditionalist, at least Star Wars style ne way, hehehe.

*shrugs sheepishly*

24. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
  25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    The lesson about Anakin's fall is that pure hatred, rageful killing and acting out of anger is wrong.

Anakin Skywalker turns to the Dark Side and loses everything he held dear.

His wife
    His best friend
    His limbs and lungs
    His good looks
    His freedom

Because he gave in to anger and hate, he lost everything else. In the end, all Vader had left was his anger and self-hatred and was consigned to a miserable existence.