main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

The "bleeding" crystal bit sounds like some corny fan fiction that you'd think up while high with friends. I mean it makes little to no sense and basically creates giant issues in continuity. Why isn't the Jedi order populated with sabers with white blades if you can go back and remove the "blood" from it like ashokha did? If you can "bleed" crystals than does that mean the Inquisitors have the same force powers and traditions as the Sith? If every Sith for thousands of years killed and "bleed" jedi sabers then why in TPM is the Jedi order shocked by the appearance of a Sith Lord. Synthetic crystals were so much of a more elegant and simple explanation that didn't need to be convoluted with this mess.

FalconStang likes this.
  2. FalconStang

FalconStang Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2017
    I agree completely. I think this will bite'em in the rear hard and bloody before it's done, let's see how many red crystals that gets them, hehehe.

*bows jedi-style to Rickleo123*

Rickleo123 likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I see no particular reason why bleeding crystals has to be either uncommon or shocking. It seems like a way of showing the Sith perverting the living kyber crystals.

Vialco, Revanfan1, cwustudent and 2 others like this.
  4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't see why bleeding crystals would be uncommon or shocking either. It's an ok concept, and IMO, so far has proven to be no better or worse than the concept of synthetic crystals from Legends. I suppose the real issue is why did the synthetic crystals concept had to be replaced in canon, i.e. don't fix what ain't broken. Maybe in the future there will be a specific narrative reason why living crystals are necessary in canon, but at the moment it appears the only reason for it is the story group going "hey, look at us, we're doing some stuff differently than in Legends".

FalconStang likes this.
  5. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    To:Charlemagne19, No rancour intended, but...As always it's unecessary in the extreme, it goes against all other knowledge, canon or not, and it is not particularly imaginative, creative or useful to the storyline, specifically or in general. In my mind it's a waste od talent better used to come up with something else and so against the grain to bs truly wasteful. If you are a successful author then those items should be glaringly obvious, after all you must know your audience in order to direct an ongoing tale effectively. Every stage performer from a stan up comic to a player in a stage play adjusts their words and ways to effect the audience while attempting to remain true to the material they work with. If you have no care for your audiences opinions then you are wasting their time and yours as well i fear.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I personally think the idea the kyber is alive (which makes them special and a part of the Force) and "bleeding" a kyber crystal is way, way awesomer, imaginative and more Sith-are-bad-and-evil-folk than "synthetic" ones. "Oh, here we got a pile of these fake ones over here" vs. "You want to be a Sith? Make a kyber crystal BLEED, dammit!!"

7. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    It also rienforces the idea of "evil cannot create, only corrupt". I myself love the idea of bleeding crystals.

8. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Same here. I like the concept of the Bleeding of the Crystals. I really love the idea that they are Alive and sentient.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There's a simple and clever question to ask, a question which dangles over the readers heads in Darth Vader #24.

If Vader really got over his past then why is he still fantasizing about it?

Sure, Vader kills three different representations of his past (which symbolizes his will to free his own spirit), but does that really stop him from obsessing over it? Doesn't look like in TESB, now does it? ;)

The tragedy of Darth Vader to me isn't that some evil master forces him to do evil, it's that Vader himself disavows all humanity he has and chose to live in a universe without compassion, a universe in which he doesn't even feel compassion for himself. Indeed, he embraces pain because he believes it makes him stronger and he will deny his old name (like in Tarkin). It takes Luke to show him that compassion can have meaning and strength.

10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I would imagine that after 20 years of thinking your son is dead, being told he is alive and is the rebel who escaped your cross hairs at Yavin, would bring up some emotions that you thought would be pretty dead and buried.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

La Calavera, spicer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's not like sentient crystals are new to Star Wars anyway. But at least the Shards were treated as people, not components...

12. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    (quote: LelalMekha: It's not like sentient crystals are new to Star Wars anyway. But at least the Shards were treated as people, not components..)

This is all too true as well. So if even Jedi are using sentient for slaves are the not evil too? Oooo the directions this could go. Hehehe, another point on this is why would anything sentient, i.e. self aware like well like most humans anyway, choose to be slaved to a Jedi weapon. It's like those silly learning cartoons where the vit-a-men serve inside because it their duty. Geez whiz kids what next? "Dooty is dooty after all Cap'n...", Long John Silver.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There's a difference between "alive" and "sentient". Grass is "alive" but it's not sentient. Same deal with kyber.

14. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    it says they are sentient, not just alive so here we are

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well if they are "sentient" (wookiepedia notes that they're more of a collective consciousness than an individual), and the Jedi and Sith can sense their "moods" then, pretty obviously, making a Kyber crystal a Jedi lightsaber = happy crystal. Making a Kyber crystal bleed by a Sith = not a happy crystal. So, therefore, the Jedi are making the Kyber's happy. The Sith and (presumably) the Death Star aren't.

Basically boils down to Jedi good, Sith corrupt. Which is one of the big points of Star Wars. So that's why alive Kyber is a much better thematic idea than synthetic.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually, Catalyst mentions how Galen uses complex scientific methods to lull or coax the kybers into cooperating. The kybers used in the Death Stars weren't attuned by Force-wielders. So those kybers couldn't have been bled. Only a Dark Side Force-wielder can do that to a Kyber crystal.

La Calavera and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Their are some pro's to the old canon version. Synthetic crystals showed the Sith intelligence, because in Legends they learned how to make them. In also helps them stay of the radar of the jedi more since they don't have to acquire a kyber crystal to twist.

On the topic of red blades and Sith, I hope we see a past Sith (maybe a nu Exar Kun) or few prefer using non-red blades, instead of everyone of them having an obsession with using a red blade. Or perhaps red being rare or non existent color for pre-Sith dark jedi during the hundred year darkness. Using other ways to acquire a lightsaber instead of bleeding crystals.

I wonder when bleeding crystals became a thing. Did the first dark jedi learn about it and make all their blades red (or figured it out, but kept jedi colors)? Or was it something that caught on post war when the new Sith were away from Jedi space and jedi crystals. That would make some sense, because they wouldn't be near jedi sabers to steal and use, forcing them to have to bleed crystals near korriban to make new lightsabers. The only jedi colors remaining if any of the survivors from the war brought their jedi blades with them to the sith homeworld. Though the new canon could make it that lightsabers weren't used in the war because they didn't exist yet.

18. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    Well, we know that the red blades were a thing as way back as Great Scourge of Malachor. That happened thousands of years before the Empire.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm okay with sentient crystals.

SAPIENT crystals, on the other hand? Aw hell naw.

:p

Anyway, moving back a bit: my takeaway from the "Vader butchers a bunch of clones" scene was that this was Vader, essentially, taking his own measure. He's not only nigh-impossibly angry in the immediate aftermath of his humbling but exceedingly insecure, and so puts himself through his paces in a live-fire situation to see how he holds up against some of the best of the best. First, as a pilot, then as a warrior. These are the guys who just, collectively, gunned down some of the greatest Jedi in the galaxy, after all.

That being said, I still thought it was exceedingly ill-conceived, hate that it happened and I think less favorably on this series as a result.

20. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    And still, Vader has already done worse deeds.

Vialco likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yet this definitely stands out. To the best of my knowledge, it's the first time Vader has gone a'murdering without any kind of justification whatsoever.

Sand people? "They killed my mother. Prepare to die."

Jedi? "Officially sanctioned enemies of the Republic/Empire. Prepare to die."

Padme? "She brought Obi-Wan to kill me. I still love her, so I'll let her off with a light choke. Wait, what? She's dead?! Nooo!"

Clonetroopers? "Loyal Imperials doing their job. Prepare to die."

One of the above is not like the others.

Is straight up Stupid Evil "out of character" for Vader in the immediate aftermath of his injuries? Perhaps not, given the circumstances. Is it nevertheless a daft and disappointing way in which to characterise him, even briefly? For me, yes.

22. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    I feel that they took a bit too much artistic license in this series. From sentient crystals too a far too chaotic Lord Vader, compared to the calm cold executioner wrapped about barely contained rage, fury, and hatred, that we all know so well.

23. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    You do realize that this Vader spent merely days in the suit, right? The point of the comic is to show that this is not the Vader we all know from the OT.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I was under the impression that living kyber crystals had already been established prior to this series?

As for Vader, he should be considerably more rough around the edges in the wake of his injuries and what is, essentially, a walking entombment. It would be strange -- outright inauthentic, in fact -- if he were either cold or calm at this point in his life.

25. FalconStang

Jun 26, 2017
    Perhaps your correct, perhaps it's personal opinion on both our parts, but i dislike this comic nearly completely. I feel it is a blight on the face of Star Wars. And no matter what they call canon I refuse to consider it. Hopefully someone out there controlling the galaxy far far away will wake up and realize they screwed up, and I mean royally too.