main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    That is the important point. Padme does have reason and will to live. She insists there's still good in Anakin, she just gave birth to twins, she has absolute reason to live. It's weird. I get the likely intended poetic idea of dying of a broken heart/spirit, but, well, it's all weird and, in my opinion, a bit lacking in how it was depicted.

Yet another reason for there to be more Padme narrative material from her perspective.

2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    A Padme-centric novel by Claudia Gray could do a lot in that regard.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    THIS. She was amazing with Leia, and is great at writing stories with massive implications that can be extended into other stories. She'd be able to write a Padme story with elements that could be continued in other stories, not just "we need a Padme story for a sake of a Padme story." Plus I'd love to see how she juxtaposes the Republic politics with what she developed in the post-ROTJ era.

4. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    It should be set during EPIII. I don't think I can take any more romance from EP2. I read the novelization of it and despite her getting more development it does go downhill whenever the writer had to include the scenes from the movie. Anakin is handled well too when he's not talking on dates about his totalitarian wetdream. R.A. Salvatore made him struggle a bit with being socially awkward due to spending too much time on training.

''Stop looking at me like that.''
    ''Why?''

/shudder

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I think Salvatore doesn't get enough credit for what he did with the E2 novelization. He is (understandably) upstaged by Stover, but I think AOTC the book also serves to elevate the film, and give actual plausibility to Padme's side of the Padme/Anakin relationship. Which, frankly, is a massive feat.

6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Okay this a little OT, (related to DV vol. 1) but does issue #6 when Vader finds out Luke is son through Boba contradict the films? I was watching a video if Star Wars Theory last night & it came up as a question at end. Also, if the comics are dealing w/these issues can we expect DV vol. 2 tp help w/these issues as w/Padme?

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Taalcon- you hit a good note there. I always thought the same thing. The AOTC movie novelization actually told a better story than the actual movie. Stover's book was very good and in many ways it was better than the movie. In fact, all the prequel movie novelizations told in my opinion a better tight cohesive, believable story than the what put on film. The prequels were a lot more epic in novelization, and much more truncated in film. Maybe the reliance of too much reliance with digital technology and trying to fit the hourly time frame so that you can have a bigger turnover in the movies, each movie could have benefited from an extra 10-20 minutes of film that went into further detail of various issues.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    No, it doesn't contradict anything.

Jedi Ben and Maythe14thBeWithYou like this.
  9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I agree, I think CG did a great job w/BL in providing MUCH needed background on the First Order. I didn't expect it in TFA so think it was done well.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Really excited for this.

11. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Mixed feelings on this one. I'm not down for a half-assed retread of Purge and Dark Times but CANON! now. Been there with Dark Disciple, and I don't want that again. And I'm also not stoked for something that overrides those series either, regardless of canon. Just doesn't appeal to me. But if they can walk that middle line and give me a new story that's good, I'm game.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I hope the Marvel folks on this forum read your post and seriously consider it.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have a lot more faith in Soule than most of the current slate of comic writers. Even his B effort, Poe, is at least treading new ground, so while his Vader might have some superficial similarities with Legends stuff, I imagine he'll really make it his own thing and deliver something we all can appreciate.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    One way to avoid the problem with Purge (i.e. it was essentially the same plot over and over again) is to give Vader a long-term Jedi nemesis that lasted more than one story. Someone who disobeyed Obi-Wan's order to hide and became a real thorn in Vader's side for a while. Not like Kanan and Ezra, who didn't emerge until closely before ANH and then tried to avoid Vader; rather, someone immediately after ROTS who lasted a year or a few and kept pestering Vader.

Perhaps this series will do that; I don't know. It would really make a great FPS as well... something like TFU but more believable and less of that silly father/son schtick they were using (that always felt wrong to me somehow). More of Vader as a one-man army with a twisted sense of justice, like Batman stalking the streets.

15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I can see why one may perceive Last Stand of the Jedi, Seconds to Die and The Hidden Blade as three different versions of more or less the exact same story, but The Tyrant's Fist was a fresh perspective on the "Vader hunting surviving Jedi" part.
    Dass Jennir, Jax Pavan (you know which one), and I'm not 100% as I haven't read The Last of the Jedi, but I believe Ferus Olin is another example of that? I actually expect this new series to give us such a Jedi character, but my point is, it wouldn't be anything new. If Marvel does give us such a character, I just hope they don't make him the new Jax Pavan, where he or she meets Vader face to face several times and somehow manages to escape. To me that is the worst thing about the Coruscant Nights books. At least in Dark Times Jennir never encountered Vader.

16. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    That sounds like something Marvel could eventually spinoff into a new series based on an original character, similar to Aphra. But with a Jedi I suppose they would go back perhaps to the gap between TPM and AOTC or even fresh eyes on the Clone Wars.

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    As long as it's an interesting character, I certainly wouldn't mind.

18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Oh definitely. I'm sure Marvel didn't intend on spinning Aphra off in February 2015. It took time for us as fans to get to know her and come to love her

spicer likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm I that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying a nemesis. Someone plotting against Vader. Dass, Jax, and Ferus were never threats, and most of the time they were off performing side shenanigans. Those stories also weren't from Vader's POV. I'm talking about a Vader story where he's up against a powerful Jedi. For a semi-extended period of time. Preferably a named Jedi (truth be told, Mace's former padawan Depa would have been perfect for this; someone seriously dangerous).

And dear god not Shaak Ti. Again.

20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Vader was against powerful Jedi they just did not last long cause they faced him directly like the Dark Woman. That was from Vader's pov right?

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    They're saving that story for the Mace Windu spin-offs.

22. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Question for people who are more familiar with how Marvel handles their numbering/resets/etc

If the new Darth Vader series has an Annual issue, would that be Darth Vader Annual 1 or 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

So much this. Please no. Spare the poor lady further deaths. "Dead in the Jedi Temple" is fine by me; it spares her more suffering.

Actually, I'd be totally up for it if it were Yaddle. :p

24. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Anyone thinking Coleman Kcaj?
    [​IMG]

I mean, he's one of the few council members who was never, and I mean never, accounted for?
    I liked the idea of him falling in the temple in my head canon. But I'm good with him being sent on a mission in the days before Operation Knightfall and somehow being one of the few survivors, at least for a few weeks or months after ROTS. Really gives them a chance to develop this seriously underdeveloped character.[face_thinking]

spicer, ColemanKcajFTW and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    *sigh* That's also not what I said.

I said I would like the authors to have a Vader story, in which he's pitted against a Jedi nemesis that continues to pester him for a long time, about a year or few. Not some side character who barely had anything ever to do with Vader like Jass. Not someone who lasted 5 seconds like the million Purge books. I want a long-term opponent for Vader. Like what Batman has (well, if Batman was seriously a bad guy).

And I really don't care if they go crazy or dark in the end. Vader's gotta win after all. But it would be SO cool to have Vader match wits/forces against a recurring nemesis. His victory would be that much sweeter in the end.

Darth_Pevra and Revanfan1 like this.