main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Would be funny if Barr's mind trick fails and he's the only Jedi recognized by the Clones. [face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and AV-6R7 like this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We know that the Sixth Brother won't die in this arc, but we don't know the fates of the Ninth Sister and Tenth Brother.

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You're right, I was confusing the numbers. For some reason I counted Sixth bro twice, thinking he was Eighth Bro

spicer likes this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I have to say, I'm loving Ninth Sister in the Mon Cala arc. A good follow up from her strong performance in the Rule of Five duology. By far my favorite Inquisitor. The sheer sass of that lady always makes me laugh. She's not afraid of Darth Vader himself. Makes me wonder how she'd act in the presence of the Emperor.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Prosset Dibbs. Called it!:p
    Awesome issue. I can't wait for the next one.

BigAl6ft6 and revan772 like this.
  6. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    I see we met the biggest Metallica fans in the galaxy [face_laugh]

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    So awesome.

I'm also fine with less Vader actually. I like seeing Inquisitors in action. An interesting order both in Legends and in canon.

Also: Inquisitorius troopers confirmed!

The list of black armored troops just increases. Shadow troopers, Death troopers, inquisitroopers.

Neat.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Very good issue. The fact that they took the time to give some of these characters some development before they died makes me wonder if this event is going to play a key role in the development of the early Rebel movement. And perhaps Verla makes it out alive and becomes a significant figure during the Rebellion development as well.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Well my predictions about Barr’s mind control and Dibbs were right.

Great issue.

Wanna put down another prediction: Barr will kill an Inquisitor and join them. He’s already fallen to the Dark.

Would be cool to see him survive as a Jedi but I think not.

revan772 likes this.
  10. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Well, that was a great issue! It balanced the small character moments and the larger conflict really well.

I loved that Vader suppressed his urge to murder Jedi and accepted Tarkin's request - it sets up their future dynamic really well.

On the other side, it was a very pleasant surprise that Barr's group got some character development and the mind trick wrinkle further highlights how flawed the Jedi philosophy had become.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree with everything said compliment wise concerning this issue.
    Barr used a mindtrick to get them to join his cause, and it's a little shady, but the seed of revenge was already in these people, he was just giving it a little push. It's not the noblest of causes, but at least he's doing something and not hiding like other Jedi. I did like the mini back story for each follower of Barr as it added to me caring about each random person and why they were there in the first place. I don't think we'll ever hear about them again as their role fulfilled this part of the story, but it was very well done.

Also someone earlier mentioned knowing which Inquisitors will survive. Unfortunately if you're reading the Star Wars main comic you also know that Vader is successful in his mission to capture the king, and you also know that Raddus helps the Rebellion in Rogue One and Ackbar in ROTJ, so sure we may know future events, but knowing all of that didn't make my enjoyment of this issue any less.

SensationalSean likes this.
  12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I don't think he was.

13. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I deeply enjoyed this issue. One of the many interesting things that can be make when you are starting with a clean slate is that your characters can make unexpected turns at every corner, if it enhances the story. I´m far more interested in master Barr after this issue, and his companions ended up being quite tragic figures, at the very least manipulated by someone that they deeply respected because of him being a Jedi. It gives a great new perspective at how some Jedi could fall in their way of confronting the Empire.

Perhaps, like was said earlier, this new Jedi could end up as an Inquisitor himself. He´s certainly halfway there, in terms of darkness, and he should be facing Vader in the next issue, perhaps opening the chance for him to survive the arc (as the Inquisitors seemed quite content with just killing him right there and then). The logical thing would be for Vader to kill him, but this series makes things interesting with little surprises all the time...

The other thing that was pretty interesting to me is that Prosset Dibs was confirmed as the Tenth Brother. This character´s abilities were heavily praised by Windu in the other comic, and we saw him in action being probably an above average Jedi, so this seems to imply that either the Inquisitors were never meant to be low level Jedi, or that their power is growing exponentially by this time (especially, I imagine, in the case of the Grand Inquisitor)...

14. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    One thing I'm surprised most aren't discussing is how "Master" Barr is really just a Padawan learner. That certainly explains his willingness to skirt the code in order to achieve his goals.

15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    A failed apprentice makes for a foolish master.

16. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    Agreed. I honestly think it's kind of foolish for people to be leaping at mach 10 on the usual "see this proves the Jedi are bad and their philosophy is bad and rar Jedi Council grr" train when the story goes out of its way to point out that the guy is barely trained and was tossed out by Order 66 into the much darker galaxy with no one to supervise him, finish his education and guide him to adulthood through the many pitfalls of being Force-sensitive. Like, no duh he's making poor choices and doing things he shouldn't be doing. The Dark Side makes you bonkers, and he has no one to turn to for guidance (assuming he wouldn't just lie and hide it like Anakin or Barriss - maybe he would or maybe he'd ask for help, but the Emperor took that option away from him).

Not every Jedi orphan that ends up losing their culture and being left to face the galaxy and the Dark Side alone is going to grow up to be Kanan.

Ventrix, spicer, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Seems reasonable that those death squad Clones will start shooting at all of them, including Barr since he's a Jedi. Seems a bold and suicidal move, akin to typical Jedi stuff we've seen with even Master Nu. Quite a few of us already called Prosset Dibbs, myself included, so no surprise there. But it does offer a tantalizing possibility of seeing Barriss at some point as an Inquisitor, although as time goes on it seems less likely, but if does occur this comic series would be ideal as Inquisitors are prominently featured and Marvel did a good job with Dibbs. Sidious has recruited quite a few ex-Jedi to serve him, the void left by betraying Maul was to huge to fill even with Vader the supposed 'chosen one', its a gamble that that eventually undoes both Sidious himself and the Sith in the end. Vader handing his leash to Tarkin seems to take shape in this story, although it was made clear earlier on that Vader is under orders from Sidious to get along with the Imperials and not be a loner, so its not like he's got a ton of choice in the end - same goes with working alongside Inquisitors who are potential rivals as well .

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This issue was so cool, I loved how the flashbacks would happen after someone got toasted, I especially loved the Anakin flashback right after some sucker was opened up (and cut to battle droids being chopped in half). As for the Execute Order 66 cliffhanger, the focus on his hand indicates he's using the Force, I don't think the clones just activate if someone simply says Execute Order 66, they need the Force behind it.

Speaking of which, where is it in the issue that Barr is Jedi Mind tricking this associates to join him? I thought they just randomly found him and decided to join up or is there a hand wave I'm missing (like at the end of the issue when he executes order 66)

Oh and is it just me or did Tarkin look contrite / sad when asking Vader for help?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  19. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    It sure seemed like he was using it to give them a little push to join his cause and ultimately endanger their lives.

Fair point, I had forgotten about the Padawan wrinkle. However, he still represented a twisting of the Jedi philosophy, in that he used the Force to insert himself into disgruntled civilians' lives. It's not black and white, but seems like the thinking Luke spoke about in TLJ.

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And I am now wondering who that Master was. Would be cool to see Barr reflect on them next issue. Kcaj or Eeth or even Oppo don't have canon deaths yet so perhaps he could be one of theirs. Maybe he will reminisce about their death idk.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Issue 16 was a page turner. Can't wait for the next issue next month

Sith Iratus, Vialco, spicer and 2 others like this.
  22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    With #17 being five weeks away, it's going to be a long wait ️.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

23. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    It's pretty obvious that Barr would be killed by Vader...I wonder if they'll throw a post twist in and Barr joins the Inquisitors, but since he knows who Vader is...that might not happen.

24. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great issue. The character development on Barr was very interesting.

25. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I really enjoyed this issue and this arc in general. I did like the fact that we got to see how Barr got everyone to fight alongside him, and it makes perfect sense that he was a padawan due to what he did with the Force to get his followers to come and fight alongside him. This issue also makes the Mace Windu comic much better in my eyes since we see the start of the descent of the Tenth Brother.