main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    This series keeps constantly surprising me in the most positive way possible.

Didn't expect the time jump, even thou it looks like it was a case of continuity slip on the side of Lucasfilm Story Group and now they are trying to fix it.

Wonder who the mysterious Jedi is (if it is a Jedi). I'm expecting someone who knew Anakin personally, so perhaps Quinlan Vos.

2. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    My money is on Quinlan Vos. It's just a theory, but I bet Vos was at the temple during Order 66 and might have used his ability to sense it was Anakin who was leading the attack. He escapes and then he finds something that Vader touched and put two and two together.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. Glad that they had the time jump. Yeah I imagine they originally were planning on it being a three year jump but then after it had already been sent to print realized they had that continuity gaff with the sixth brother (from the Ahsoka novel) if it happened after 18BBY. No big deal and they caught it right away. And they will likely correct it once the TPB comes out and they have a second printing.

I'm guessing it is Quinlan Voss as well. It has to be a character we already know or else they wouldn't be trying to cover up their identity. Lol. Watch it ends up being Barriss.

4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    If they do correct it I might just go ahead and buy the second printing of it just so I have the correct timeline for my collection.

5. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    The change in year makes sense indeed!! Now that we know it´s meant to be 18 BBY and knowing that he is part of the arc, I hope we get to know more about the Sixth Brother, considering his demise is relatively close in the timeline. I´m still hoping to see those bright electric blue eyes the Ahsoka novel described!

About this issue, it was a pretty good start of the story arc. I´m fine with it being a little low in action, it was the same with The Dying Light. It was great to see Tarkin again, and it was full of references to other media in, I think, an uncontrived way. The Jedi, the new Inquisitor and those stormtroopers (still sounds plausible to me that they serve the Inquisitorius) are all various and interesting elements for future issues to develop...

@spicer Hey didn´t that new Inquisitor look like the lost brother of a certain Jedi that was roaming around the galaxy aboard the Uhumele during the Dark Times?? :p

6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I don't know why, but for some reason I find it funny that Tarkin just casually mentions to his underlings that their emperor like to watch Mon Calamari Ballet.
    I mean, I know we saw him attend the Opera in ROTS, and it's likely common knowledge. But the context of his comment just amuses me.
    :p

Whoever the Jedi is I would be surprised if it wasn't someone we've seen before. Someone who knew Anakin. Vos would seem an odd choice, but I honestly can't think of anyone else it could be.

7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah there definitely aren't many Jedi it could be if it is indeed someone we already know. Aside from Voss really the only others it could be potentially still alive that would give them reason to hide the identity to the audience would be Luminara Unduli or Barriss Offee. We know it isn't Ahsoka.

Luminara is confirmed dead in Rebels but I don't believe we know yet when she actually died.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Someone who knew Anakin...Ferus Olin? ;)
    Is it because of the long white hair:p To me the new inquisitor looks like he would fit in Mortal Kombat.

EDIT: I just had another look at the new inquisitor in the comic. Could he be a miraluka? He appears that he doesn't have eyes, and it doesn't look like there is a wound where they would be, indicating that he never had eyes at all. Does anyone else see the same?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Ithorians likes this.
  9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit my previous one anymore. Another continuity error in this issue:
    Someone on twitter noticed that Tarkin is a Grand Moff in this issue, and he is supposed to become one in the Tarkin novel. The novel takes place in 14 BBY. This issue takes place in 16 BBY, but should take place in 18 BBY instead. Regardless if it is 18 or 16 BBY, it still doesn't match the timeline of the novel.

WHERE'S YOUR GO...STORY GROUP NOW :p

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep in mind that the Legends-verse's "Grand Moff badge" appears to be more "commander of all forces within the sector" in the newcanon.

Governor Pryce wears the same badge.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    he's called grand moff in one of the panels too

spicer likes this.
  12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It's not just about the badge. He is referred as a Grand Moff too.
    [​IMG]

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair enough. Maybe the comic writer didn't know how late Tarkin's promotion was.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The writer not knowing is one thing, but... (you know the second part of my phrase).

MrDarth0, tatooinesandworm and spicer like this.
  15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Perhaps, and the writer not knowing that is not a problem, because there is the story group to set these kind of details straight. Well, at least it should set these kind of details straight.

EDIT: LelalMekha and I posted pretty much the same thing simultaneously :p

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (1/6 Released)

Edit: May I suggest this thread be sticky-ed and the previous arc be un-sticky-ed.

And we're 100% sure it's NOT Ahsoka, because she didn't realize Anakin was alive until 5 years BBY, right, so that makes sense to me. I didn't read the Ahsoka novel, but the 6th Brother isn't or shouldn't be alive at this point? I'm a little lost. What's the correction that needs to be made? Has this been officially recognized?

Also, I was surprised that Tarkin was already Grand Moff, but I didn't know if there was anything to contradict that from happening already and I guess there is from what I've read above. Will changing the date for the Ahsoka issue fix the Grand Moff issue or make it worse?

As for the rest of the story, I loved young Raddus and Ackbar. I didn't cross reference the storyline in Star Wars, but it's the same King in both or different ones?

cwustudent and The2ndQuest like this.
  17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    There are two things that need to be fixed in this issue in order to be consistent with canon: the three years reference should be changed to one year (in the crawl and the dialogue by Palpatine), and the Grand Moff reference for Tarkin should be removed too. A possible third thing to fix is with the artwork regarding Tarkin's Grand Moff badge, but as Iron_Lord pointed out that may be left as it is.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    @spicer @LelalMekha in regards to the Grand Moff comment I noticed it as well. However he is also referred to as Governor Tarkin on more than one occasion elsewhere in the issue. Probably a chance that Soule called him Grand Moff throughout the entire issue and the editing team corrected it but perhaps missed one.

In anycase it would still probably be ok even if they didn't correct that one mistake because the officer that says it is clearly very young and perhaps wasn't aware of Tarkin's proper title (and this wasn't Tarkin's ship at the time so also probably wasn't his normal crew). You could see Tarkin correcting the young officer if the officer mentioned him by a title that would have been under Tarkin. But not by a title that was meant to be more accomplished than what Tarkin currently was at that point.

19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Another possible inconsistency, although to be fair an extremely nitpicky one. I didn't notice it myself, but it was posted on Twitter:

BTW, this is a very good Star Wars Twitter account, where canon consistencies and inconsistencies alike are pointed out (among other Star Wars discussions and posts). In case the person who owns that account also posts here by any chance, good job!

To balance things out, here's a (positive) post for the latest issue on io9:
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/darth-vader-dreams-his-own-revenge-of-the-sith-fan-fict-1823796234

20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The title of Grand Moff didn't even exist at this point, Tarkin was the first one. What, the officer was so inexperienced they didn't realize he didn't have a title that hadn't been invented yet?

Big fan of this issue, though. I think the timeskip was supposed to be three years, but it's easier to change some text than edit out the Sixth Brother.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    @Daneira

Ok didn't realize that the title didn't exist until then. Definitely should be edited to Governor Tarkin as well. I imagine the writer did call him Grand Moff throughout the entire issue and they just missed one of the times he was called that so didn't end up changing it.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Wow. One of the best comics I've read from Marvel's Star Wars line. I feel compelled to clarify that point. A lot of you might think I'm saying that because it is about Mon Cala, but you'd be dead wrong. With a few exceptions (Shattered Empire & Poe Dameron are EXCELLENT and I wish all comics looked and read that good), I've been mostly unimpressed with Marvel's Star Wars line of comics. The stories are boring, often predictable, and don't move the story forward much. The art... well, let's just say that the vast majority isn't to my taste, especially one artist.

In this issue, Charles Soule shows how fantastic an author he really is. He masterfully blends elements from TCW, Rebels, Legends, and other new canon stuff to show us Mon Cala in the aftermath of the Clone Wars. This is EXACTLY how comics and books should be written. He takes all of these elements, then introduces stuff that is new but feels complementary. The art is very good as well, Giuseppe Camuncoli really does a great job with characters, ships, and the world's setting.

I could go on and one about how much this issue was awesome, I can't wait to see what's in store!

--Adm. Nick

23. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Or a Firrerreo, and he´s hiding some fangs!! Still, it would be an hilarious that he ended up a Miraluka considering all the clamoring for a recanonized Jerec some of us made when this comic was starting, haha...

BTW,
    I did notice that thing about the blue helmet vs grey description for the Sixth Brother, I thought it was just me! Not a big issue, though, but I´m more at odds with his personality; he seemed arrogant and extremely ill spirited in the novel, but he just had his first line of dialogue and the art seems to present him as more of a timid, lay low kind of character. Just a perception, of course, but I do hope we get to see more from him...

Jarrus likes this.
  24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Hahah, that would be somewhat ironic and a bit of a slap in the face for Legends fans. But, even if the new inquisitor is a miraluka, that doesn't shut the door for a possible Jerec re-canonization. Or maybe he could be retckoned as Jerec before he went bald. We don't know how Jerec looked like in Legends that soon after ROTS, so it wouldn't contradict much.

Ithorians likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    @AdmiralNick22 Do you think that
    given Tarkin and Ackbar both appear in this arc, the latter may end up enslaved by the former, as he was in Legends?