main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't think there's anything to suggest Vader has forgotten about the Carrion Spike. And he doesn't strike me as the sort of warrior to want to rely on stealth technology, except in extreme cases like this.

Vader can't deflect slugs back at the shooters.

That they were throwaway was the point; he was using them as disposable in order to slowly build up his own knowledge of Vader.

Same as any prequel story, then. But the tension comes from trying to work out why they're hunting each other, and how it will be resolved. Tarkin walking out into no man's land had a great air of finality about it even though we know the outcome. It's one of those examples of something being compelling enough to make you briefly forget you know how the story goes as you're reading.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just realized that issue #18 is essentially the Star Wars version of the movie Predator (1987).

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah lotta fun, I love done in ones and Tarkin made for a great POV (and his outfit / blaster made him look like a Great White Hunter on Savannah) issue in summation: Vader's a freakin' nutbar. Oddly a very simple trick to make the issue's conflict work.

Let's just say this particular species hide only does that particular cloaking trick on that particular planet and call it a day.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    It's not some kind of digital cloaking. It's just chameleon skin.
    chromatophore:
    1. a special animal cell, usually dermal, that contains pigment granules: it is often capable of expansion and contraction in such a manner that the skin color changes, as in the chameleon
    2. a plastid containing chlorophyll or other pigments
    Vader can probably cloak visually and electronically using the Force if he wanted to (assuming he can mind trick people to get by visually and use the Force to interfere with electronics)

The only thing the skin allows is to not have to concentrate on also using the Force to get past people visually. At least not as much.

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Ever since the preview for #18 was released I thought Tarkin was wearing over-the-knee / thigh-high boots... Only today do I realize they're probably just regular cuffed knee boots worn up instead of folded down. That went from a giggle to a d'oh. My brain, I swear. Him shuffling about the Death Star Overbridge in slippers is something we'll always have, at least. A man of many soles.

Charles Soule posted his writer's notes for #18 (emphasis mine):

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah more one-shots, please. I liked Aaron's exit arc on Star Wars which was just basically a series of one-shots, I think that would work great for Vader.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Slight quibble, this seems to imply that Vader's Force-choke range is down to something like, maybe 10 feet or so? Just guessing but that seems to be it. But in Empire Strikes Back he's Force choking Admiral Ozzel across God-knows how much distance in space. Well, the answer is simply "Vader got better at it" Maybe this is what made him realize "Hurm, I really should work on extending that Force choke range..."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Vader's mediation room was only a short distance away from the command bridge itself- and within the command tower?

9. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    So according to Comic Con, the new Fortress Vader arc is whopping 7 issues! I guess the writer has been thinking of this idea since he's started. I'm really intrigued by it.

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Geez.

Hope it's not 3 issues of mediocre filler in between four good issues.

Though, so far this series has not disappointed.

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Do you guys think that this will be the final arc of the series or do you think that we will see more?

The final part of Fortress Vader will be issue 25 which would make this series just as long as the old one

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think it has something to do with visuals. You need to see someone really well to be able to force choke him or something like that. When we see Palpatine force choke Dooku, he also does it through a screen.

My guess is the Sith can't just force choke anyone without a visual aid or otherwise they could have just killed all the rebellion leaders using a long-range choke.

MrDarth0 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Bite your tongue! This series must go on!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

spicer, KamNale and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    I can see this being the case. Just like the "need" to move your hand to use telekinesis or a mind trick - it's a focus. Coming from a Dungeons and Dragons background, that's definitely a helpful way to limit powerful magic so it doesn't break the story (like in this case a Sith just killing everyone without effort).

Darth_Pevra, kalzeth and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So say we all!

spicer likes this.
  16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Meaning you should never pick up a phone call from uncle Palpatine. Especially if your name is Mon Mothma.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nah, its all fine as long as you don't turn the video on. :emperor:

MrDarth0 likes this.