main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    this arc is going to be amazing.

themoth and HeatherAntos like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If this is Vos, I’ll be pretty pleased as that’s a One Canon loose end tied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm equally excited and terrified of the prospect that the Jedi might be Vos. Excited because Quinlan is one of my favourite characters, and terrified because I don't think he was handled well in the new canon.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, so it sounds like Mon Cala is conquered really early on in the new canon, just a year or so post-ROTS. That means that Raddus and the exodus of city ships presumably doesn't happen until much later, as the Mon Cala city ships being converted occurs between Rebels and RO.

So we have the following major events on Mon Cala between ROTS and TESB:
    • Imperial occupation (18 BBY, +/-)
    • City ship exodus (4-2 BBY, +/-)
    • Mon Cala rebel uprising (1 ABY, +/-)
    Some big gaps, but obviously the Mon Cala weren't emboldened to rise up again until the Rebellion was formed. I'm excited to see how this all unfolds!

--Adm. Nick

Ventrix likes this.
  5. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016
    This was my favorite arc to work on in the series, hands down. Just you wait.

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Oh man... I'm so excited for his! These two Mon Cala arcs are basically tailor made for me. :D

--Adm. Nick

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Fingers crossed for another epic lightsaber battle between Vader and Unknown Jedi Master. Maybe we'll even get to see the Inquisitors get schooled first.

8. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    No, Vos rocked in nu-canon. He was able to defeat Dooku in a lightsaber duel putting him above Obi-Wan in dueling abilities. After Anakin, Mace, Yoda and Kit Fisto, he was probably one of the most powerful Jedi. Having Vader beat him will cement Vader's skill as being above Dooku.

Darth_Pevra, Ithorians and Vialco like this.
  9. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Vos was far more interesting in Legends than just an arbitrary power level.

10. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    He was painfully incompetent in Dark Disciple which is why I hope it's his chance to be handled well.

Though, I don't want it to happen at the expense of Vader like what they did to him in Legends.

cwustudent and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Vos as a potential Sith candidate is much more interesting. The original arc was more slavishly tied to the concept of there literally only being two Sith at a time, which I did not necessarily care for.

Six Sith running around during the Clone Wars is much more fun.

12. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh well, Vader Down already did that quite clearly, didn´t it? ;)

Jarrus and SilentGuy66 like this.
  13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm gonna sticky this thread. We're (the Mods) slacking on keeping up with this and changing titles... we're trying to get back on track with this. :)

--Adm. Nick

Vialco likes this.
  14. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm in the minority here, clearly, but I never liked Legends Vos. He always seemed to have one foot outside of the Jedi Order and the decision to leave didn't seem very hard for him. He was also very gullible and got strung along like a fish by Tyranus and Sidious. I also didn't buy the romance between him and Khaleen, mostly because she was never fully fleshed out. Ventress on the other hand was a perfect match for Quin. Say what you will about his initial characterization, but Canon Vos came closer to finding out Sidious's identity than Legends Vos ever did. Plus his Juyo attacks overwhelmed the renowned Count and knocked the best duelist the Jedi Order ever produced on his backside. Canon Vos was far stronger with the Dark Side than Legends Vos ever got.

Plus Canon Vos's ebullience was a nice contrast to his later fall. Legends Vos strayed into the Dark but never really fell.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It doesn’t get much better than this. I really want to know who this mysterious Jedi is.

16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Well, we do know the original intention was for the Mon Cala to be conquered in 16 BBY, but we ended up with this one year post-ROTS retcon. Which really bothers me. More than it should.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I'm kinda confused why they made this change. It doesn't really make that much sense, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

18. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    They did it because 16 BBY created a continuity error with the Ahsoka novel, which is happening during 18 BBY and one of the Inquisitors that is in the comic is killed in that novel, therefore he wouldn't be able to be present at Mon Cala.

Personally, I think they should have retconed the Inquisitor, instead of the date.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ah... that explains it. Yeah, seems easier to retcon the Inquisitor, but oh well.

--Adm. Nick

cwustudent likes this.
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    They would have had to alter the artwork - that individual had been identified as the Sixth Brother in a previous issue. Adjusting the opening crawl and Palpatine's dialog was almost certainly the path of least resistance.

cwustudent and Daneira like this.
  21. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Or they could have said that the Inquisitor in the Ahoska novel wasn't the 6th Brother, but some other number that we haven't seen yet.

Why nobody thought about retconning the novel instead of retconning the comic?

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is so true. I enjoyed the Dark Disciple novel for that very reason.

Vialco likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Or that they renumbered the Inquisitors, etc.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    They could have retconned the Ahsoka novel and have it that the Sixth brother was seriously injured instead of killed.

Ithorians and Vialco like this.
  25. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    They put themselves on a tight spot by killing the Sixth Brother so close to 19 BBY. In the light of using him on another media, I mean. Everything about Inquisitors and dark siders in general has been treated in canon like a hot potato; nobody wants to hold it for too long. Rebels is a good example: killing every Inquisitor after one season (8th Brother´s case was pretty extreme at that), or bringing Maul back and then say "but we must avoid him interacting with basically everyone in the galaxy, since he can´t have an impact on this era"... they are treading carefully because of Legends, I imagine, where after a while Imperial darksiders seemed to number up to hundreds and hundreds.

I do think it´s pretty good for them to try and show us a little more about the Sixth Brother, because this is likely the only media were are going to have the chance, and didn´t like the idea to skip 3 years in the comic, where a lot more could be shown. Still, I have confidence in the writers and the Storygroup, I think they can turn this mistake around and actually make some very interesting stuff out of it!

Jarrus, SilentGuy66 and Vialco like this.