main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, remember that Order 66 was very effective. Out of ten thousand Jedi Knights, we've seen a total of five survivors. That is a 99.95% mortality rate. Unlike Legends where Purge Survivors numbered in the double digits, Canon survivors have few and far between.

Vader probably spent most of his time between ROTS and ANH doing special missions for Palpatine. Which, as we saw in the first Vader series, could range from planetary coups to hunts for rogue scientists to simple extermination of underworld scum.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  2. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I see what you mean, it could feel a little more compressed... but gladly, at this point, there is no need for us to assume that everything of importance in this era happened shortly before ROTS. We are only seeing the first time Vader and the Inquisitors went to Mon Cala, and the eventual first attempt of the Calamari to secede, so there is still much to be told. The Rule of Five was an interesting story, yet fairly unimportant in the wide scope of the galaxy; I´m sure there are plenty of interesting stories to fill years and years of the Dark Times era in this comic, if they intented so.

The thing is, the opening crawl already stated that Vader and the Inquisitorius have been proven very successful, so the hunting of several Jedi was to already have taken place, in the originally intented timeline; To me, it´s still a rather exciting idea, to have the chance of actually seeing at least one or two of those hunts!

MandaloreRex2015, Jarrus and spicer like this.
  3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    They shouldn't have changed the timeline to one year after ROTS, instead they should have retconned the 6th Brother.

The author intended this and subsequent stories to take place three years after ROTS, now the Story Group screwed it for him.

revan772 likes this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And both have a boring, goodie-good personality.

I liked Ahsoka in TCW but she really outlasted her welcome for me.

SilentGuy66 and cwustudent like this.
  5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I see what you mean about the Jedi Purge being really effective, but it's not just the Jedi, but other important events. In Legends the Caamas Disaster, subjugation of Kashyyyk, and subjugation of Mon Calamari all happened that year. The Ghormann Massacre happened a year later.

I mean, I get that the early years of the Empire would be busy what with Jedi survivors, Separatist hold outs, ect. But just look at the Wookieepedia Legends Timeline. Even discounting all the Clone Wars battles, 19BBY was extremely busy compared to the other years of the Imperial Period.

It's just like how I hope the new Solo movie dosn't have him meet Chewie, meet Lando, win the Falcon, do the Kessel run, alienate Lando, join in the Battle of Taanab, AND make Jabba angry all within a few days of meeting Obi-wan in the Mos Eisley cantina. I'm fine with some important events in Vader's early life happening 16 or so BBY instead of 19 BBY.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Gudenruben2 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    The Solo movie will cover the period from 11 BBY to 5 BBY, so you don't have to be worried about that.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

JediBatman and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wut. The intention was always for a single year time skip. If Soule wants to use the Sixth Brother either he knows about his death in Ahsoka and has laid out a carefully constructed story for him, or he's just using some inquisitor with the same name as the character in Ahsoka and will use him as he damn well pleases. I tend to think the former, as Soule's shown that he pays good attention to the details of other canon works.

8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Even people who are really good about continuity can occasionally make mistakes.

revan772 and cwustudent like this.
  9. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Nope, not at all. Soule intended for this story to take place three years after ROTS, not knowing about the 6th Brother already being dead. He even mentioned it in an interview.

Nobody in the Story Group noticed either and they realised their mistake only after fans started pointing it out to them on Twitter.

Their solution? Let's change the timeline to one year after ROTS so the 6th Brother can still be alive instead of changing the 6th Brother to someone else in the Ahsoka novel. Another mistake in the issue was calling Tarkin Grand Moff, even though he's supposed to get this title in the Tarkin novel, which is happening years later. Story Group didn't notice.

10. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Makes sense, indeed, but how could they just change the Inquisitor from the novel? They said he was the Sixth Brother, and we saw the comic´s Sixth Brother in Coruscant training with the others as early as 19 BBY, and with a matching appereance, no less. They would have to go around and say "ohh, the novel was the Sixteenth Brother, it was a printing error, but no harm done, right?" :D

I imagine they figured it was better to fix the mistake right on, rather than retcon it and make the other, correct source, mistaken in turn because of it...

P.S.: Or just say that the Ahsoka novel happened in 16 BBY! It was a little weird that every clone trooper was replaced almost immediately with a stormtrooper anyway...

11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Someone should bring that to their attention too, so it can be corrected with an updated issue. The nice thing about digital comics is that little errors like these can be mended easily.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It was edited to Governor, FUI.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe there were two Sixth Brothers, and they were twins?

...don't worry, I would fire myself if I made that retcon too.

14. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    And with a powerful enough sibling bond, if they're both in the same place at the same time they become the Third Brother!

Ithorians likes this.
  15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I approve of this retroactive editing. The Story Group is on the ball these days. Pablo probably has more time to do his job now that he's not trying to dodge Guttierez every day.

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    We all know that they were simply joking around with the whole Pablo avoiding Andi thing. It was clear as daylight :)

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    This comic is awesome. Dac City! Floating cities instead of only an underwater one!

The only thing I dislike is the Jedi Temple as the Imperial Palace.

Everything else is great.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The thing with retroactive editing like this is that it can be used to edit a bunch of Legends stories to fit with the canon. A lot of stories need minor edits like this issue did, and boom, they could be canon.

19. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    Great solution! Wouldn't mind if they would move the Ahsoka novel to 16 BBY. And it would also give them more space for a post-ROTS Ahsoka mini-series :)

Ithorians likes this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Darth Vader #14 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Up to inquisitor number 10!

Does also show the imperial march in the first year was relentless. AT-AT's , AT-ST's etc.

22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Awesome preview!
    AT-AT's are up and running just a year after ROTS - a similar situation as in Legends, where a couple of months after the formation of the Empire, AT-AT's were being produced and in a testing phase. It's cool to see Clone Wars tech along side OT Imperial fighters in combat at the same time. I would have loved to see some V-Wings thrown into the mix too, but I guess there's still a chance for that. And the Tenth Brother is a miraluka, yes? He clearly lacks eyes, and it doesn't seem like that's due to some injury. I wonder why he's wearing a turtle neck (for a lack of a better term) over his mouth. It would be mindblowing if he is actually Jerec, and the covering of his mouth is so to not reveal his trademark tattoo's in order to keep us Legends fans guessing.

Can't wait for the full issue!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Although... wasn't the AT-AT in Rebels meant to be an early model, implying it was pretty new as of 4 BBY?

24. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Maybe there are different types of AT-AT's? I'm not that much into Star Wars military tech & vehicles, so I wouldn't be able to answer this in detail. But, IIRC, the AT-AT's in Rebels are bigger than those from TESB. If so, that would imply that there are different models of AT-AT and maybe those in Rebels were indeed pretty new?

25. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Is it just me or was that one Inquisitor a Tunroth?