main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Matt Martin‏@missingwords
    I didn't say he's dead. It's not confirmed either way. That's just a list of Jedi whose whereabouts are unknown to the Empire at that time.

spicer likes this.
  2. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016

Never heard of those. Do you mean with the Massacre on Kashyyyk this one? This one doesn't have jedi in it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Massacre_on_Kashyyyk

I wonder which recent novel would have such content in it.

3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Until new canon says otherwise, I'm mentally filling in the blanks with Legends Material--'Massacre on Kashyyyk' for me is covered in 'Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader' and 'The Force Unleashed 1', and 'Jedi Last Stand' for me is covered in the comic book 'Star Wars: Purge'.

'Star Wars Republic: Hidden Enemy' covers Luminara being shot down. We can imagine her Legends fate parallels her canon one, and that she survived the shots to be imprisoned.

kalzeth and spicer like this.
  4. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Jocasta strikes me as arrogant because she thinks that she can simply go back to Coruscant and the Jedi Temple mere weeks after Order 66 and retrieve something valuable that she hid from the Sith. Does she not think they will be watching? A Jedi requires patience. Jocasta is trying to rush this and still believes she knows best, dismissing the concerns of her companion. I get that she is old and does not think she has much time left, but she certainly does not seem to be dying yet. A better plan is required here.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    So do you think Yoda and Obi-Wan are arrogant too? They did the same exact thing in ROTS. If they can walk into the Temple, alter the beacon and then leave unchallenged why can't Jocasta expect to do the same?

Ben09 and theraphos like this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Misogyny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'm sorry if I said anything misogynistic or gave the impression that misogyny would be why I think that. It's not. One of my biggest issues with ROTS is that scene. The Jedi Temple should have been crawling in thousands of clone troopers to kill any Jedi who returned, as the beacon was supposed to be a trap. I think it is ridiculous that Yoda and Obi-Wan were able to infiltrate the Temple, and assumed that after they did so, security there would be stepped up.

EDIT: Jocasta is one of the most important Jedi in the Order, and her survival means a lot. All the knowledge she has is being put a risk by doing this. It strikes me as irresponsible to go to Coruscant and potentially see it extinguished or put it into the hands of the Sith, no matter how noble her goals are.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    My mistake.... I mixed up the 'black forest' on Kashyyk that is haunted (in the Aftermath novels) had something to do with a jedi massacre. Guess I got it confused with the legends massacre.

9. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    The sitting figure couldn't have been Shaak Ti even before this - the shape of the hood is all wrong. IIRC we see Ahsoka with a hood up in TCW and it looks weird for obvious reasons, no way Shaak with even bigger, adult-sized montrals would look like that in a hood. Plus the hands are the wrong color.

Vialco likes this.
  10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Very good issue. Jocasta didn’t strike me as arrogant, just a little delusional. But it’s quite admirable that she is still hopeful for a better future and working every day to achieve that, despite of what happened.

I liked the role Sidious gave Vader for this arc. Rather ironic, and funny.

I don’t really mind it, but I also feel that constantly referring to a character’s actions as Light(side) vs Dark(side), kinda diminishes the sense of moral culpability and makes Force membership feel like character customizing videogame where all you have to do is choose your team. I’ve seen many posts in these forums of fans claiming that a character can be Darkside but not evil (which doesn’t even make any sense to me, but whatever).

Jedi Ben and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The most common version I've seen is "Passion, and anger, are not inherently evil emotions - a character can put them to good use". A person who is angry at injustice - can use that anger as their driving force, in a campaign for reform, for example.

Another, favoured by some Sith fanclub members, is "The Dark Siders's quest for physical immortality is in line with transhumanism - transhumanism isn't evil - so the Dark Side is not evil."

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That much is exact, though.
    That, on the other hand, is debatable.

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Many of the goals that lead people to the dark side aren't evil. Anakin's goal to stop Padme from dying in childbirth wasn't evil. It's how far he was willing to go to achieve that goal that made him evil. That's the road that leads to the dark side: how far are you willing to go to achieve your goals?

If Anakin had put together an expert medical committee, crowdfunded Padme's healthcare on the holonet, sent Padme to the best hospitals, or something, he probably wouldn't have become Vader.

Vialco likes this.
  14. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    I'm not talking about people having emotions, I'm talking about being a willing darksider committing to it. Both ROTS and TFA make it pretty clear that you don't just join the darkside of the force by just having emotions - it comes with acts of evil too.

Otherwise, you're just.. "grey" I guess.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think that Jocasta is indeed arrogant but I like it. I was waiting for a Jedi who showed some shades of grey and was given one. Aside from her arrogance I also see someone who is very brave and dedicated. When others at the time have already given up she forges on, that's pretty admirable. I hope she dies a noble death instead of falling into the hands of the Sith, as that would be ugly. On the other hand a mental confrontation between her and Palpatine would be interesting as she would have the strong will to resist his mind probes.

As for her lightsaber skills, I would find it a bit dumb if she turned out to be this badass fighter. In RL you only master something when you practice a lot. A little realism wouldn't hurt. And besides, not every character and story needs to be about who fights best.

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Perhaps not a badass, but she needn't be completely inept either. Palpatine makes it sounds like she barely avoided the AgriCorps or something like that, but she was on the High Council, for cryin' out loud.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sidious clearly hates librarians for they encourage the access to and sharing of knowledge.

Vialco and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I've read that argument a lot over the years but what does it actually mean? Is there some sort of fighting test a Jedi has to take before awarded a seat on the high council? I'd think not. Jocasta was on the council because of the one thing she does best: know stuff, especially old secrets. That's what made her invaluable to the order. Being able to wield a lightsaber seems insignificant in comparison as the order had many fighters already.

I don't think every Jedi on the council needs to be some sort of powerhouse.

I'd guess that Jocasta would pose a challenge to an Inquisitor, but Vader's probably out of her league. Unless of course she has an ace up her sleeve, for example a powerful artefact of the Jedi order. We saw how much damage Rur was capable of.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When? She's not on the High Council in TPM, AOTC, or ROTS, at least. Was it before that - or for a short time between movies?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't mean that she should necessarily be a powerhouse, but she doesn't need to be lame either.

In Legends, that was between 62 and 52 BBY. In canon, we don't know.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Power shared is power lost, and knowledge is power.

CooperTFN and Ithorians like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Exactly!

23. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Well, from the Grand Inquisitor's POV, Jocasta didn't encourage access to and sharing of knowledge.

Maybe Jocasta and Sidious would get along well if they were on the same side. :p

24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I totally agree with you!!! One thing I´m loving about this comic is that Jocasta is said openly to be, well, not so much of a lightsaber duelist, and we still see her strength and how dangerous she is to the Sith. I reaaally like this; life isn´t about fighting all the time, sources of power can be very diverse and one can be important and achieve greatness with many, many different abilities. A Jedi certainly shouldn´t have her/his ability to cut down others with a lightsaber as a highest priority, to the point of neglecting all other sides of the living Force just because it´s more action oriented in terms of storytelling.

In fact, perhaps at this point the Inquisitors are too close to being Jedi and untrained in the dark side, but later on they should be able to deal with someone like Jocasta without that much problems. Simply because it´s what they do, and a hunted Jedi isn´t constantly studying and preparing to violently face them. A Jedi like Jocasta can defend herself, sure, but most importantly, she can excel without having to be a master duelist...

25. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Where are all these comments about Jocasta being a poor lightsaber user coming from? Based on Ahsoka's taunt to Cato Parasiti, Jocasta seems have a good reputation for being a skilled fighter.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.