main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well...I wouldn't say he'd choke Fett to death in the comic. He suspected Ninth Sister of treason but he didn't kill her. Held a lightsaber to her neck and threatened her, but she wasn't disposable and neither was Fett. Clones like Fox are a dime a dozen though, and easily replaced. Plus, Vader has a real reason to hate Fox after the Ahoksa fiasco. Vader is complicated in this comic and there are moments where you see glimmers of Anakin inside him. In Issue #11 he spares the life of the Chanath's daughter. If Vader was really so simple, wouldn't he have killed all of them?

2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ Good point, though those tiny bits get immensely overshadowed by the character resorting to default killing mode in the next scene, as I even forgot about them. I'm still hoping to see some more insight on his inner thoughts and emotions other than the typical darkside hatred.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I completely agree. I´ll take the nuanced Vader we all know over a killing machine type everyday.

The thing is, I do believe circumstances are makes a difference in his behavior: I used the Conference Room scene just as an example, and you´re absolutely right, Daine Jir was famously outspoken to him... but so was the ISB agent in issue #8 of the comic (when checking the remains of Jocasta´s star fighter) and, if I remember correctly, no harm was done to him. The Grand Inquisitor openly opposed Vader in the next issue, and is still alive...

Vader in this case is not dealing with any sort of incompetence, but openly traitorous behavious from individuals that are set on his demise. It´s different from anything we saw in the movies, so I get the feeling that he isn´t meant to react the same way in more trivial situations.

Besides, this Vader is a person devoted to the dark side that recently endured tremendous physical and psychological loss. I do think this makes a big difference in his behavior in respect to the OT period...

Vialco, Darth_Pevra and La Calavera like this.
  4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Just a quick note:
    That comment about Vader killing Imperials was more about the way other Imperials responded to him in ANH, not necessarily about his characterization. Him not killing that other Imperial in the comic felt perfectly natural to me, it’s just that his “I’ll show you my evil power and punish you” display after that was a bit jarring as it didn’t simply fit in the canon before ANH (as I said, had that scene occurred near ESB timeline, it would make more sense).

I think at some point that complaint morphed into another complaint I’ve been having with these series, since issue 2, that Vader feels too often an one-note killing machine, with little complexity, and his behavior is starting to becoming too predictable with little nuance.

I accept your interpretation of this current Vader, but I don’t think the writing in this comic delves enough into his personal issues or motives to earn this characterization, and as a result he feels rather shallow instead.

But that’s just me.

Ithorians likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I agree with you that his behaviour feels more predictable and evil for evil's sake at times. It's almost as if he is on some sort of bad drug trip. But perhaps that's the intention? This is a very young and raw Vader who hasn't mastered the dark side yet. We get some peeks inside which show him extremely angry and broken. Even Palpatine dresses him down for being too brutal when Vader is killing one of the officers. I hope some character change will set in soon. Does this Vader even know what he wants? At the moment it seems he only wants to deal out pain.
    But I also got the feeling that Soule has this all planned out.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Ithorians and spicer like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well said. I believe this is a very important point to keep in mind when reading any stories about the early times of Vader.

tatooinesandworm and Vialco like this.
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Re: Vader allowing Daine Jir's outspokenness in ANH, my headcanon has always been that Vader finds Jir's honesty refreshing compared to the routine cant and prevarication of Imperial officers. Also, the fact that Jir actually seems competent might help, as well as the fact that he's an officer of the 501st, and thus the closest thing there is to a "battle buddy" Vader might have.

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Bets and guesses as to who the Jedi antagonist on Dac is this arc?

I wager on Quinlan or Bultar Swan or Coleman Kcaj or somebody completely new.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I doubt it'll be Vos. The ocean isn't exactly his element. Probably some Mon Cal, Quarren or Nautolan Jedi we haven't seen yet.

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Perfect time to recanonize Bant Eerin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Zatt? If he survived.

[​IMG]

12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    A youngling? Against Darth Vader?

[​IMG]

13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Can't wait to see Camuncoli's illustrations of Mon Cala in the upcoming arc. ^:)^

Charles Soule retweeted a cool piece of fan art for this series. I hope it's okay to share it here, since so many of us enjoy the art in these scenes:

14. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Holy ****: that last issue (#13) was stunning.
    The art, the story, the cameos -- it was all stellar.
    Can some others please read this ASAP?

I think that has to be Quinlan Vos.

And Admiral Ackbar told Darth Vader to go **** himself to his face. lmfaooo

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    So this issue has a continuity error. Not the first that's come from this series either.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Seriously, this weaved material from the old EU, the new novels, TCW, the films, and Rogue One. And it was entertaining as hell and explores a cool issue: how do progressive and defiant planets respond to the rise of the Empire?

Annnnd, we are getting a parallel crossover with the main SW comic concurrently. It's a dream.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The dating of the issue is confusing. Is it three years from RotS or three month?

18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    According to Matt Martin on Twitter, it's one year. The three year thing is an error.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

kalzeth and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    Yeah, Darth Vader is my favourite from star wars comics and the team did a great job in both writing and art.

I also suspect it's him because he is the only one who is most likely to know who is Vader because of his ability.

20. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    But Palpatine even references it in the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The thread to discuss the new issue & arc is this one:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/darth-vader-dark-lord-of-the-sith-13-18-burning-seas.50048663/
    There are a handful of continuity errors in the latest issue. It seems that the story group overlooked them, and it's not just a typo. The issue is consistent with itself.

22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I'll just disregard the Ahsoka book then. Didn't like it very much anyways.

P4KISTAN, cwustudent and kalzeth like this.