main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader (Empire Strikes Back) VS Anakin Skywalker (Revenge Of The Sith)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_Bubonic_Force, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    True, Anakin did mess up against Obi-Wan. But I doubt he would have trouble against his future self, He was already one of the best dualist in the order and most of the powers Vader used, Anakin already taped into as a Jedi, and besides we saw what happened when Vader finally pushed Luke to the edge, Luke almost got killed him. The same thing would happen with Anakin.

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That's because Luke is more powerful than Anakin ever was.

[/gusherblasphemy]

3. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    No, he was not at the time of ROTJ. Luke was on the same level as Anakin was pre-Vader turn in ROTS.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Back to the Future Part 4: Young Marty McFly vs. Old Marty McFly

5. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Nice.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Young Marty performs Johnny B. Goode.
    Old Marty performs Shake, Rattle, & Roll.

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    This is simple.

Darth Vader = bad ass.

Anakin = whiny ass.

Badasses will always beat whiny asses.

Or, for a real answer, Darth Vader would win because while he isn't as physically gifted as Anakin would be, he has a world of experience. Basically, the same reason that Obi-Wan can beat Anakin. The cagey experienced veteran will frequently best the young upstart rookie who is physically more athletic. Darth Vader has had 23 years of Sith training under his belt, PLUS the knowledge of all the Jedi techniques he would have known on Mustafar, when he was just a young punk. Darth Vader has also had 23 years to learn how to control his emotions, while Anakin still wears his emotions on his sleeve. Darth Vader doesn't let his anger interfere. He uses anger to fuel his force abilities, but he controls the anger, the anger does not control him. When he was still Anakin, circa ROTS, his anger controlled him, rather than the other way around. Basically, Darth Vader would keep his composure, while Anakin would be prone to make tactical errors due to his emotions. Angry fighters are sloppy fighters. If you lose your temper, you are more likely to lose, period. Darth Vader's experience and control would win out over Anakin's total lack of control.

8. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    ESB Vader is clinical. He executes is tasks without a lot of fuss. This makes him a more formidable opponent than the more physically able, but far more mentally fragile, Anakin of ROTS.

IMO.

9. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    :) i still find this thread quite amusing. i mean we're talking about the same character here. would a "who would win in a duel: PT obi-wan vs OT obi-wan" make an interesting debate? perhaps it would for some. but i dont know - is this not more to do with some people finding it fundamentally difficult to accept (even on a subconscious level) that they are the same character? just a thought.

it seems clear in the story that anakin was going to become the most powerful jedi/sith there had been. he doesn't go on to achieve that because he ends up in the suit. its why he cant remove palpatine - its why he needs Luke to then do so. so what we're comparing in the end is a rash 22 year old not quite at this potential, and a weakened but wiser 40+ year old reliant on life-support, permanently robbed of said potential. who would win? i dunno. toss a coin. its not really important. debating whether ROTJ Luke would beat ROTS Anakin is a more interesting one, but one I fear that would be robbed by the ever-widening PT vs OT void.

10. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    It always has to be some complex ulterior motive on this site.This just looks like a fanboy throw down thread to me.

11. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    IMHO, even though Vader post-Mustafar was only limited to 80% the potential of the Emperor instead of 200%, did Anakin (or even pre-Mustafar Vader) ever REALLY master his power to the point that he was 80% of Sidious?

I don't THINK so.

Vader as of the OT has had two decades to hone his skills, and seems to be just about as close to achieving the full power his remaining potential would allow, which would, IMO, make him more powerful mastery-wise than before the suit, even if he lacks in potential.

In other words, he lost a buttload of potential, but he MASTERED what he had FAR more than he ever did before, in the end becoming more powerful.

Sure, Anakin can do all those fancy flips and whatnot, but here's the difference: VADER DOESN'T NEED TO.

He's like Godzilla- he can take his sweet time getting to you, because

A. you can't stop him from reaching you, and trying will only make him angry

and

B. the instant he DOES reach you, you're dead anyways, so what's the POINT of flipping around like a jumping bean?

ESB Vader > ROTS Anakin, no contest.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup... as I said before, this is my view too.

I know you aren't really asking... but PT Obi-Wan would win. Not that Obi-Wan would ever fight himself anyway... "so uncivilized". :p

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    No, he was not at the time of ROTJ. Luke was on the same level as Anakin was pre-Vader turn in ROTS.

I'm not sure about that. Perhaps Luke was just as Anakin's pre-Vader turn. But not as experienced.

Darth Vader = bad ass.

Anakin = whiny ass.

Badasses will always beat whiny asses.

Don't forget that "whiny ass" Anakin managed to decapitate Dooku's head and hands.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, but Dooku was really not that much of a bad ass. :p

15. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Goes back to speed, speed, speed.

Yoda had it, Maul had it, hell - most of the Jedi we see had it. Dooku got the jump on Kenobi and threw him around in ROTS.

But once someone could dial in on ESB Vader and start the melee - would you put your money on the guy who looked slow and sloppy against Kenobi in ANH or took punishment from a very green and unsavvy Luke?

Most of us want to believe that Vader's experience and Force manipulation would win the day.

But chances are - against someone of ROTS Anakin, TPM Maul, AOTC Yoda (who gave Dooku fits, and more)-- Vader would be in an overmatched dogfight once the sabers ignite and the footwork commences.

16. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWERRR

ESB Vader could force-choke ROTS Vader....

EDIT: Unnecessary

17. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    Quite unnecessary ...

We all love the Man in Black as much or more than you do ...

But let's keep the hypothetical match up clinical, logical and sane ...

18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes, but Dooku was really not that much of a bad ass.

I believe he was. He was always able to easily defeat Obi-Wan. And he gave Yoda a lot of trouble in AOTC.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'll concede at least that Obi-Wan always had a somewhat inexplicable difficulty in dealing with Dooku, given how he fares against other opponents. But Yoda seemed OK against Dooku in AOTC; the issue there was that he had to stop so that he could save Anakin and Obi-Wan, letting Dooku escape in the process.

20. Kaul

Kaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    "Anakin is more powerful, but Obi-Wan is more experienced." - George Lucas

Lucas made this comment when the final lightsaber battle of III was being filmed, and the outcome was: Experience triumphed.

The same reasoning would apply here. Pre-suit Anakin would be more powerful (although Vader would be as well) but Vader has 20 or so odd years of learning the finer points of lightsaber combat and the Sith arts from his master. Vader would leave Anakin much the same way Obi-Wan left him at the end of III.

21. BigBoy29

Dec 3, 2004
    I'll use the old eyeball test.

Suited Vader would have been a huge underdog in any of the PT saber duels I witnessed.

I have tried, but honestly don't see how he could have even kept up in Theed or on Mustanfar.

22. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    ESB Vader > ROTS AnaVader. No contest.

He is far more expeirnced and his mastery of the force far outclasses Anakin's. Sure he may no be able to do flips and fancy moves, but he dosn't need to. He is skilled and technical, making each stroke a killing stroke. And as we see in TFU, Vader is a beast in the force, he even managed to give Galen Marek a run for his money.

Edit: Vader held back on Luke. I have the quote somewhere...

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That was stated in The Courtship of Princess Leia, but is there also a quote?

24. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Ah yes. That is the one I was talking about.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought you meant a Lucas quote. Anyway, it can be inferred from the references to Vader's conflict in ROTJ ( while Vader denies it, we are meant to understand that the conflict is actually there just as Luke says ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.