main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader is NOT Obi-Wan's Fault.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Charr_Kahn, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charr_Kahn

Charr_Kahn Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    The Blame, of course goes to Anakin himslef for turning... but there are other reasons. The Jedi council and the order itself was wrong the whole time. They never extended enough care, compassion, or recognition to Anakin. Obi-Wan although he got on to him once in a while they had an obvious friendship and Obi-Wan (especially in ROTS) talked up Anakin. I think the order was horrible and Anakinmade very poor choices, but the blame that Obi-Wan places on himself is pointless he did better than any other Jedi would have with Anakin. Had it not been for Obi-Wan, Anakin might have turned a lot sooner.

2. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    simply put...anakin was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

dkt

3. Charr_Kahn

Charr_Kahn Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    hmmm.... that's simple and interestig. Never really thought of it that way. Don't completely buy it cause' of him being the Chosen one, The Will of the Force, and all the other circumstances but it's certainly arguable.

4. Darth_Froschler

Darth_Froschler Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2004
    It was Obi-wans fault. He said it himself.

This is what i dont understand about some poeple on these boards: Even though it is proven over and over again, even if it is said by the character in the movie, fans still find a way to go against it.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's only natural for Obi-Wan to feel responsible. However, Anakin is still largely responsible for his own choices and actions. It's Anakin's fault. Obi-Wan and the Jedi Order have some responsibility as well.

6. Kazmyth

Kazmyth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2003
    Obi-Wan: "I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's only natural for Obi-Wan to feel responsible. However, Anakin is still largely responsible for his own choices and actions. It's Anakin's fault. Obi-Wan and the Jedi Order have some responsibility as well.

8. PauliWanKenobi

PauliWanKenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2005
    Its a little like the common mistake people make today of blaming EVERYTHING on a person's upbringing or parents when they screw up. While a person's experiences and those who "raise" them play a prominent role in their lives, ultimately they choose their own path...just like Anakin did. Its natural for Obi Wan to feel responsible, just like a parent would if their kid turned to drugs or crime, but several things played into Anakin's "transformation" into Vader. Perhaps if Obi Wan had not "coincidentally" been sent away from Coruscant (along with Yoda) during such a confusing and chaotic period in Anakin's life, Vader would never have happened (but then again neither would have Star Wars, so if it is Obi Wan's fault, I say thank you General Kenobi).

9. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    "It was Obi-wans fault. He said it himself. "

That's the typical reaction I would expect from a master/trainer. In light of what Pauli said, I would expect a parent to fully blame themselves when something happns to their kid.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily their fault.

Of all the Jedi, I wouldn't put Obi at the top of the blame list. I'd put Yoda and Mace up above him, with Palpatine far above either of them.

10. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Obi-Wan did make a few crucial errors in his training anakin like not letting him do the Jedi Trials.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That was only a mistake from Anakin's point of view.

12. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Anakin went to the the darkside becuse he had emotional attachments, the Jedi are not supposed to have them. Anakin feared to lose his mother, attachments! He was to old, Yoda should have trained him first at a younger age.

13. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    It was destiny. noones fault. the path had been placed before him

14. Xephalon

Xephalon Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    of course its not obi-wan's fault..its anikin's fault first of all he didnt follow the ways of the jedi with being married which has somthing to do with feelings and he had to choose...Mace or Palpatine?he chose palpatine...then in epi 2 he had hatred in his heart when the "sand people" kill his mother.and remember that Yoda said,"Fear leads to hate,hate leads to anger, and anger leads to the dark side"and the fear part when he was tryin to save padme from dieing.so i conclude its anikin's fault obi wan was merely trying to stop him

15. KILIK

KILIK Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    It is not Obi-Wan's fulit Anakin chose that for him self.

16. Veraden

Veraden Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Actually, it was all Palpatines fault ;)

17. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Obi-Wan: "I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

You mean as well as he trained Dooku :p

I blame Yoda before I would blame Obi-wan, but Anakin made his own choices.

18. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    In my mind it goes something like this:
    1) Palpatine (I don't think Anakin falls without his cohersion)
    2) Anakin (he made his own decisions
    3) Yoda (Jedi may forbid attachments, but the way you presented it to him RE: you must let padme die, was piss poor, especially after you saw what happened with his mother).
    4) Mace (not trusting him).
    5) Obi-Wan. By the time ROTS rolled around, it seems Anakin has completely gotten over the trials. They seemed to genuinely love each other, up until Anakin believes Obi-Wan turned Padme on him, of course).

But IMO there's a huge fall-off from 2-3. It wsa primarily Palpatine taking advantage of flaws in Anakins character.

19. Darien_SabreHawkke

Darien_SabreHawkke Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2005
    It was Obi-wans fault. He said it himself.

This is what i dont understand about some poeple on these boards: Even though it is proven over and over again, even if it is said by the character in the movie, fans still find a way to go against it.

Boredom and or simply wanting to get a rise from people are the path the messageboard darkside [face_skull]

20. Darth_Kickass

Darth_Kickass Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    who Said it was obi wans fault? It was Palpatine's fault
    even though he did it on purpose. Besides if anakin managed to succeed in the finishing move and kill obi wan, he would've killed Palpatine(As seen from the Game)

21. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    of course its not obi1 fault. its palpatine's fault and also anakin's fault.

22. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It was no one's fault. Anakin was destined to do this.

23. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    it was palpatine's fault.without him in the big picture anakin would have had a happy family life.

24. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Anakin made his decisions. Obi-Wan didn't decide for him.

25. obisangel1138

obisangel1138 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2004
    Actually I agree...it was partly Palpy's fault for filling his mind about the dark side. But, Anakin did decide to listen to him and turn to the dark side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.