main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader (Marvel) #1: Vader, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, how does a droid end up with the ability to believe anything?

2. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just finished this.

I liked how there was some crossover between Vader's flashback with Luke in this issue and with "Skywalker's Strike."

I'm excited to see what is going to happen with Tagge. [face_skull]

:p

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I realize it's only 3 issues total but I do see a bit of a distinction between how Vader is portrayed in each series. Star Wars Vader is more super-villain and unstoppable threat. Here, Vader is still evil but he seems colder and more brutally efficient. To make it simple, he's the star of this book who happens to be a bad guy but he's in more badass mode. In "Star Wars", he's the threat you need to run away from or else he'll cut you to pieces. But you you end up rooting for him in "Darth Vader" but in "Star Wars" he's a monster. (yes, he is a monster here too but he's surrounded by monsters so he becomes the less monster-y guy by proxy)

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  4. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 The major difference is the presence of Sidious in "Darth Vader." So far in the NEU it seems like Vader doesn't really know how to be Vader around Sidious. Around everybody else Vader can be the ultimate badass. That is the Vader we see in "Star Wars". Around Sidious there is still some of the confusion and frustration that defines Anakin. I think the end of this issue was Vader allowing the Anakin part of himself to vent some of that frustration after his talk with Sidious.

5. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Good points.

For me, this book showed the tension between Anakin and Vader quite well.

It feels like Vader is still trying to feel comfortable in his own suit... especially around Palps.

Tanjint, BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Kalani always seemed awfully independent and violent for a droid. It shot Sanjay Rash without receiving an instruction to do so.

Then again, maybe IG-88 and 4-Lom are the leaders of the Droid Gotra.

7. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Finally picked this up today, got the last copy at my comic shop! (SW #1 and #2 were sold out also, must be doing pretty well). It was quite good, though I don't think I liked it quite as much as the main Star Wars series. It was cool to see things from a different perspective in the SW universe, and I'll definitely be picking up the next issue to see where things go.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not sure if I would describe Vader in his conversation with Paplatine as confused and Anakin-esque. He got an indirect attack on Palpatine in by bad-mouthing the death star (which was Palpatine's idea, see, no matter if he now pretends it wasn't), then he hides his thoughts about the young Jedi pupil. If I compare him with TCW Anakin (the only version worth considering imo), who was almost honest to a fault when speaking to Palpatine, Vader was acting quite different.

9. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Just bought the digital version of this today along with Star Wars #2. Comixology have a BOGOF on all Marvel titles this weekend.

10. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, works on the old Star Wars collections as well like the KOTOR and X-Wing omnibus'.

11. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    Marvel's Darth Vader series looks absolutely amazing, in my opinion. I loved the first issue. Star Wars has managed to get me into comics for the first time, and so far I'm loving what they're doing with the new continuity. I can't wait for the second issue on Wednesday.

One thing I am concerned about, however, is how they approach Boba Fett, and his connection to Jabba. I really don't want them to approach Fett as being completely subject to Jabba. Don't get me wrong, he need to have a strong connection to Jabba, or why would he be there in ROTJ? Nevertheless, Boba Fett should be clearly established as a frequent hire of Jabba, not an employee, for the the latter implies the only reason Vader doesn't force-snap his neck in TESB when he makes demands is that Vader wants to avoid issues with Jabba, which would look bad on the part of Fett and Vader.

In Darth Vader, I hope to see Fett's skill truly established in the Star Wars universe, and himself shown to be a highly valuable associate of Vader, even respected by Vader. This isn't unlike Vader, we've seen he's capable of harboring respect for certain skilled individuals, like Tarkin. Regardless, I'm very optimistic, and can't wait for subsequent issues.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    My favorite part so far ;

[​IMG]

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That is very pointed dialogue indeed!

14. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Finally got the comic and read it.

I am actually a little disappointed. As much I like this era it didn't meet expectations.

1. Although this isn't too big of a deal. I didn't care to much for the artwork. (Vader and Luke look the worst to me)
    2.Vader dealing with a crime lord such a Jabba the Hutt? why go through him to get bounty hunters?
    Doesn't he have personal agents? What about ISB?
    3. Did Vader not seem like Vader or is that me?
    4.very minor but why bring up the chosen one thing for a joke?
    5. also minor.. the dead tusken raiders seemed a little random to me.

point 2 is my biggest issue. I would think that Vader would hate Jabba and be more likely to kill him in a meeting.

15. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The reason Vader went through Jabba was thay he didn't want the emperor to k ow of his search. It was a private matter and he needed to be free from Imperial interference. Also, he was looking into one of the emperor's personal agents, whom the emperor wanted to remain a secret. Using people connected with the Empire or gping through Imperial channels would risk Vader's plan being discovered, which would increase the emperor's disfavor with him. Vader had to do everything completely off the record.

Vader seemed in character to me.

I though the chosen one reference was well done. It was Palpatine's way of mocking Vader for his failure. He was using a piece of Vader's identity against him. It wasn't so much a joke, but a way to mock and humiliate Vader. Doing this fit very well with what we know of Plapatine.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alright, I got my hands on this at last. I like how nobody gave me a wink-wink-nudge-nudge that I need to read this. It has the Imperial Palace, people!

Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of this. It's the best Marvel release to date, and I like the tone of it. Vader's written very well, as is the Emperor. I like Vader's inflection and sense of humor/menace, and I like the Emperor being his glorious self. Vader's going to have to work to assume the position we see in ESB, which is the way it should be. It's hewing to the known pattern, but it's getting to it a different way. What will count is execution. And that's what we'll have to look for.

I was pleased to see the Imperial Palace in theory, though the Palace we got was immensely disappointing. It's very clearly the Jedi Temple, and that's intensely frustrating. Tarkin did show it as the Temple, with some modifications that would make it McQuarrie-esque, but we didn't get that. We have a throne room that looks like the ROTJ throne room had a baby with Palpatine's ROTS office, and was upholstered by the Jedi's interior decorator. Hugely disappointing. Compare it to the throne room seen in SOTE/MJ:BTE or the sanctum seen in XWRS, and it fares poorly. There's still a chance for the exterior structure to look like the beautiful and grand McQuarrie structure, as the only exterior shot shows an elevator, but things are looking dim.

I don't know why they're doing this. They're not tied to late EU that occasionally showed the Palace as the Temple -- moreover, ROTJ suggests that they shouldn't do that. And since everything in the new canon is inspired by McQuarrie, you would think that the McQuarrie Imperial Palace would be an easy bet. But nope.

I'm grateful the new canon is so WEG-friendly and all, but that makes it all the more confusing on why the Palace is this way.

17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I enjoyed this, even though you are required to read the first two new Marvel Star Wars (Skywalker Strikes) comics before this as it ties into it. It's a bit irritating in case people care more about Vader than of the Big Three. OTOH, it is a great show of continuity and it adds more to the overall story.

The art and colours were great, especially the two-page spreads. They really drew me in.

The fact that the Rebels put a bounty on Darth Vader's head was pretty hilarious.

The Emperoro and Vader hiding things from each other is perfect. Their attitudes are also on point.

18. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Vader being an underdog even in the Empire is a nice change. Also logical, given he was a survivor of the then-greatest military failure of the Empire. I like Palpatine acting behind his back and dealing with potential rivals to Vader. After all, the man he got wasn't the one he'd been prepping for over a decade. His trash-talk is also logical, given the two have been working together as Sith for two decades at this point. They're practically family. A highly dysfunctional family, but family all the same.

19. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    So I re-read it again and it wasn't that bad, now that I read it without the expectations I had earlier before reading it, also I kind of speed read it the 1st time and now I see why he went to Jabba the Hutt.

I don't see the Palace being the Jedi Temple though, what am I missing?

20. DarthJute

DarthJute Jedi Padawan

Mar 14, 2015
    Hi! I know this is an old thread and there are probably very few people still lurking but I wanted to share something related. It’s an audio comic book I made for Darth Vader #1. It’s the third Star Wars comic book read through I’ve done but I think it’s the best so I wanted to share to see what you guys think. Anyway here it is