main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader (Marvel) #3: Vader, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fruit Pastilles, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Yes and saw the even creepier youth biology video

cwustudent likes this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
  3. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    That first panel of Vader kneeling and offering his hand, love it.

Also love how this comic is letting him flex his cunning side along with the straight up badassery, like what TCW did for Maul.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Love the look of those modified SBD's

5. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    It reminds me of Lego Star Wars 3 The Clone Wars[face_laugh]

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Cool preview. I'm looking forward to seeing the interaction between Darth Vader and Aphra. I doubt many people's first experience with Vader involve him saving them from arrest and a bottomless pit.

Iron_lord, Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

vader's many prosthetic parts

Jedi Ben and Mmmmm Napalm like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That would explain why he wanted that bunny's batteries so badly...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This comics just keeps getting better and better, love the way they make Vader.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Vader is the best comic series so far.

spicer and The Positive Fan like this.
  11. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm having a tough time deciding on a favorite. The "mainline" Star Wars series scores with great dialogue and very strong characterizations of the Big Three, but Vader has an incredibly intriguing story in gear. Looking forward to seeing where it all goes!

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  13. Pua

Pua Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2010
    Is Vader visiting the planet/asteroid where Padmé gave birth?
    :eek:

14. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Looks like Indiana Jones has joined Star Wars Canon........only there he's a woman:p

spicer and Aphra like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope so.

16. Pua

Pua Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2010

The alien Vader kills is a Polis Massan, and the woman is a doctor (maybe a gynecologist? XD)

17. Mmmmm Napalm

Mmmmm Napalm Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2014
    They're both excellent, but it's awesome to see the political intrigue within the Empire.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  18. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Triple Zero: HK-47 with a C3P0 body.
    BT-1: Chopper's slightly more psychotic cousin.

Also humor was on point in this.

Aphra: You are even more interesting then I could have hoped Sir Vader.
    Vader(arms crossed like a petulant teenager): Lord Vader.

19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Liked the Indiana Jones influence with Aphra espescially "It belongs in an armoury"

The rolling destroyer/boulder part was a bit overkill though IMO

20. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    Well that was a filler issue if I've ever seen one. Quite disappointed, least favorite issue thus far. I understand that have to spread out the material, but I feel this issue could have been much better utilized to add depth to the overall story.

I don't like Aphra, her character seems forced. She's far too sexualized, and the whole Indiana Jones thing is silly to me. Maybe if they had been more subtle in implementing the nods to the Indiana Jones series it would have worked, but in my opinion it doesn't fit the tone of this series at all. Furthermore, I don't like Aphra and Vader's interaction. It's too casual, and I don't see Vader putting up with Aphra's incessant chatter, I would have preferred if he ramped up the intimidation/force choke factor and told her to get to the point. You could argue that Vader puts up with Tarkin's monologue regarding the Carrion Spike's name in the Tarkin novel, and while it wasn't characteristic of Vader to listen, I think that was the point. It showed the relationship of mutual respect between Vader and Tarkin.

Above all, I fear they will go for a slightly romantic tone regarding Vader and Aphra's interaction, which would be awful. However, it looks like Gillen and the Lucasfilm story group have more sense than that. If they're trying to set up Aphra as a sort of femme-fatale, then I think it would be a wise decision to include a scene where Aphra attempts to use her charms on Vader, only to be quite forcefully (heheh) rebuked, showing Vader is very much detached from his emotions, excluding anger. Finally, to be brutally honest I wouldn't mind it if Vader killed Aphra upon obtaining his mechanical army. It would show the extent of Vader's ruthlessness and lack of compassion.

Really, I think "forced" accurately describes this entire issue. The blatantly obvious Indiana Jones nods, the equally obtuse C-3P0 and R2-D2 parallel, and the character of Aphra herself. Hopefully, issue #4 turns out better.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't really disagree with any of your points, although they were just minor nuisances to me (Vader telling Aphra that she talked too much was all I needed, honestly). But I don't really get what you mean with Aphra being sexualized. Because she's talkative and flirty? Or is it the art? Because she's no Duursemazon.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I found it pretty hilarious, especially the soft-spoken murder 3-PO. I don't know why, but a murderous C-3PO makes me laugh.

Also Vader naively stating he needs private ressources and Aphra responding with flirty lines was funny too. I like it when characters are thrust into uncommon situations.

I don't think Vader was too nice in here, he was too curious about the droids to mind Aphra's chattering much, he is a tinkerer after all. And because he is the protagonist, he can't be always be all menacing either, that would be pretty boring.

The humour and references really worked for me, so I can't really say anything bad about it other than that the first half dragged a bit.

23. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    There are some interesting easter eggs to be seen on the interior walls of Aphra's ship.

Yeah, those Indy references were not all that subtle, were they? Particularly the destroyer droid. Although I do like the character of Aphra. I also hope there's NO attempt to turn anything romantic - I can't think of any possible way that would work.

Intrigued by the "Tarkin Initiative" and these "quarantine worlds," and I hope it's eventually explained why 000 required quarantining rather than destruction.

Saga Explorer and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Mmmmm Napalm

Nov 6, 2014
    It was the art.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hmmm. I don't see it.