main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader never sensed Obi-1 on the death star

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alomanuma_Topha, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    I figured out that Darth Vader never sensed obi-one in the death star hanger! If you undertand how the jedi sence thing, you know he couldn't have. I thought this was a hole in the plot, but then I figured it out:

Instead I think he sensed C3PO. If you remember back in Episode 1, darth vader constructed C3PO. Surely skin cells must have rubbed off on his curcuits when he was building him and if you remember way back in episode 1, all cells, including skin cells, have mediclorians in them. So, Darth vader must have senced his old mediclorians and then remembered that (as far as I know) C3Po was the only droid that he built. He then remembered that C3PO and obi-wan were old allies and then went to tarkin to report that he know obi-wan was there.

EV Edit: Don't spam the illustrious Classic Trilogy Forum or I'll send Lady Yuna out to hunt spammers down and send them to to the farplane.

2. imapilotyoureapilot

imapilotyoureapilot Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2004
    Wow! I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, that is a MAJOR hole if he really did sense Obi Wan.

So the only real explanation is that he felt 3PO?

But now that begs a new question. Would that mean that 3PO would also have some ability with the Force? How many midicholorians would it take for him to be a jedi?

I sure hope that Lucas adds something to support this in the re-releases.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Obi-Wan was trying to use the Force to cloak his presence.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    How many midicholorians would it take for him to be a jedi?

You don't understand what midi-chlorians are.

They serve as an INDICATOR of Force, they don't GIVE you Force potential.

Otherwise you could hack off someone's arm, give it to Threepio and call him alive.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. imapilotyoureapilot

Jan 8, 2004
    Exactly. If Obi Wan was cloaking his presence, then how did Vader sense him?

The answer is that Vader sensed the midicholorians on 3PO. But it was a weak signal because it wouldn't have been a huge amount of them. Instead it's almost like a psychic residue. I hear that old houses can have that, so maybe it works that way with the Force too?

I sure with George would read this and let us know if we're on the right track. I'm dying to find out if this was what he meant to happen!!!!11!!!!1!

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Exactly. If Obi Wan was cloaking his presence, then how did Vader sense him?

Because Obi-Wan didn't do it very well. Or maybe Vader sensed Luke.

7. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Or maybe Vader sensed Luke.

I don't think so because he wouldn't have known that luke was allies with obi-wan. It also seems to be the reason that Darth Vader attacked the princess in the beggining of ANH. I think he was sensing C3PO the whole time.

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Vader sensed Luke

But then the line "A feeling I've not felt since.." by Vader looses some meaning.

I always thought Obi Wan wanted Vader to sense him - it was his destiny.

9. imapilotyoureapilot

Jan 8, 2004
    But Vader said that he sensed something he hadn't sensed in a long time. Would Vader know what Luke felt like in terms of the Force? And I have a hard time believing that Obi Wan could be found if he didn't want to be, he's just that good of a Jedi. So that leaves 3PO. That's really the only logical explanation, and I can't imagine that Lucas would have left a plot hole big enough to fly a star destroyer through...haha, that's a joke in case you're wondering. Sometimes my humor doesn't come across well in forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.