main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader or Revan - Not Exactly What You Think

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by trevc, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trevc

trevc Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2013
    Hello! I'm new here, I have two favorite SW characters (Revan and Vader), and wanted to hear the communities opinion. I was wondering out of the two 1. Which character do you like more and why? 2. Which character do you think LOOKS cooler/more awesome? 3. In a battle, who do you believe would win? Thanks for your time!

2. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    Vader.

Revan is a passable copy, but everything Revan did, Vader did it it better.
    Revan tried to exterminate the jedi order. Vader did exterminate the jedi order.
    Revan tried to kill the Sith Emperor. Vader did kill the Sith Emperor.

Vader's armored suit was pretty original. Revan looks like a cross between a Mandalorian, and a sith lord. (not that there's anything wrong with that)
    Lastly, Vader in a TIE interceptor puts him above everyone.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. trevc

trevc Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2013
    Hey Aegon, thanks for your insight. Can you explain what you mean by Revan is a copy of Vader?

4. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Sure. And welcome to the forum.

Revan, of course is not a total copy of Vader, but their stories are extremely similar. Both were jedi knights who fell to the darkside, and were then redeemed. This may
    seem like a small thing, but when you think about it, once a jedi becomes a sith lord in one of these stories, there never seems to be too many different paths for them to take.
    Their first order of business always seems to be destroying the jedi, and taking over the galaxy, and then of course, hiding behind a mask is common enough as well. Although
    in the EU timeline, Revan's story takes place first, in reality, Revan's story is based off of so much of Vader's story that it is almost a retelling.

There's nothing wrong with Revan being a copy. That's just how the Star Wars Galaxy works, but the reason I'm not really a big fan of Revan is because I'd like to
    see a story more creative than extremely powerful young jedi falls to the darkside, and brings the galaxy to it's knees. There were several sith lords in the Revan novel
    that I found more interesting than Revan himself.

5. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    A
    At least Revan still has his manhood.
    Vader lost his manhood to burning lava.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Revan for all 3. He is my favorite Star Wars character.

7. trevc

trevc Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2013
    Any reasons why you prefer Revan over Vader?!

8. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Yes. There is that much. Well, actually, I don't know if manhood is the word we're looking for here :p Perhaps humanity might be a bit more appropriate :p

9. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    It's a tossup but I gowith Revan because I got to be him.

10. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Don't tell me you were the voice of Revan in SW TOR? O_O

11. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    100% Revan. He was the mightiest Sith lord of his time, and saved the republic not even knowing he's a Sith. And the funny thing is now there are lots and lots of "Revanchists" who still follow him. He fought the Mandalorians and beat their backsides! Did Vader fight the Mandalorians? No he fought a bunch of untrained dumb rebels.

12. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I love KotOR but I have to got with Vader. How do I prefer he? Let me count the ways...

Darth Vader is
    -the original sith
    -designed by Ralph McQuarrie
    -a worldwide household icon of evil
    -not a silent protagonist
    -the central tragic figure of Star Wars
    -the standard by which all villainy is judged

For good measure, and let's be clear, I love KotOR, but Revan being a silent protagonist of indeterminate gender, appearance, or temperament severely hampers his cred as a character. Sure the player can crafter the character's experience to their liking and that's all wonderful and great, but s/he's really more of a gameplay facility than anything else. By that I mean Revan was created, envisioned, written etc. in order to fill a variety of roles the player may choose, rather than in order to convey a theme, artistic statement or any of that stuff. In short, Revan doesn't really meat the definiton of what a character is to me... I'd rather call him an avatar than anything else.

An additional musing for the interested - After KotOR and Bioware started making the Mass Effect games, I believe they wanted to take that "avatar" concept and drive it further into the space of true character development in service to a singular central theme. From this, we get all our special snowflake Commander Shepards who are all pretty much all the same.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  13. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    1. Vader
    2. Hard call but I'd say Revan. Something about that mask...
    3. Really tough call, but I'll go with Revan. He was just such a tactical genius and really powerful in the force.

14. trevc

trevc Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2013
    This is a close one!

15. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    1. Revan. I guess the bottom line is that Revan was a playable character who's story unfolded as you played thorugh the game. Maybe that's more the answer of a gamer than a SW fan - but it was a huge thrill to "participate" in the SW universe by playing out this totally cool new character utilizing awesome new force powers in a very exciting story line with plenty of irony.
    2. Vader. Just the sight of Vader brought fear and loathing to people... Only Vader could freak out Marty McFly's dad in Back to the Future :D He was the perfect looking villian, sci-fi or other....
    3. Tough.... There's a difference in force powers available to each of them... with Revan having the upper hand.... however I think Vader is stronger with the force and can bring more sheer power to bear....

PS - Very good question - and welcome to the boards.

16. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    In a battle, I think Vader is walking out defeated.

Revan has pretty much all the advantages. He could just blast lightning on his suit until it malfunctioned and killed him.

17. Master Selkath

Master Selkath Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 5, 2013
    I say Reven because he was more powerful. Vader is a lot slower in his suit and Reven was the leader of the sith empire. He killed Malak and he had both the light side and dark side of the force at his hands. Plus I think Reven's mask is the coolest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.