main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Hey mods I tried looking for a post regarding this but had no luck. But if it is duplicate I apologize and will appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

The Pros:
    Okay, I have looked this costume up on the internet and the costume was supposedly cast from the original suit and is certified by LucasFilm. This is also supposedly the costume that was used in the British Orange commercials. I haven't been able to see it in person yet but one of my friends did and they thought it was really well done.

The Cons:

The place where my friend looked said it was $800 and I have seen it online for $800-$1k. I realize a good Darth costume would probably come close to that if you made it yourself, but the difference is you can buy them piece by piece and allowing you to make smaller purchases over a period of time.

The most major con is of course the manufacturer: RUBIES. Most of us know their costumes usually aren't worth the cost of the fabric they are made from.

So what do you all think?

PS~I didn't point to any links because if you do a google search for "Darth Vader Supreme Costume" you will get plenty of hits and I wasn't sure if we could link to this or not since for once this is an Officially Licensed costume.

2. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Your really want an honest opinion?

Don't buy it. It is not worth it.

If you want to get an as screen-accurate Vader as possible, look at fan prop makers! And try to get Fiberglass parts!

You will pay some $ 3000 USD for it, but I tell you it is worth it!

3. KevVader

KevVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    Agreed.....go to the RPF as there are some close up shots of the different suit components. Some are cast in very thin cheap plastic....the helmet seems OK. But if you want something that really looks the part...save up your $ and buy prop quality parts...

4. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Thanks guys. I'm not surprised by your responses. Like I said I haven't had a chance to see it person..

But again, thanks for the feedback.

5. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    You are welcome :)

If you need help to find good prop makers feel free to PM me. I got some good sources :)

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    You guys are being way to harsh on it. Not only have I seen it for 500, but its an excellent starter costume for its price tag.

The question becomes "Do I want to spend 3000-8000 on a decent Vader costume?"

That question also becomes convoluted with which Vader, what materials (leather, or vinyl...sintra or ABS etc) And what helmet to buy.

The new Rubies helmet has already been modified to look on par with the CA helmet.

It would take work, but the whole costume is there.

Its a good starter hands down, Rubies or not.

7. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    Thanks Prim. It is always good to hear from the other side of the coin. Like I said I still want to see it. I not necessarily trying to join the 501st with this (that's what my Imp Officer will be for) But I just thought it would be cool to have a Vader outfit. It seems like you aren't thought to be as crazy to wear the masked costumes randomly (Vader, troopers) as you are with un-maksed (jedi, pilots)

To be honest I was more asking for my friend who doesn't haunt this particular area of TF.n And to be honest his standards aren't nearly as high as mine are sometimes. As an example I am not 100% pleased with my Jedi costume (even though I get numerous compliments when I wear it), so I plan on reworking it. Anyways I am rambling and starting to go OT...

8. DarthDallas

DarthDallas Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2003
    anyone who thinks the rubies costume is worth the money knows NOTHING about VADER costumes. I spent almost two years and $5000 on my VADER and I can tell you that the rubies is a piece of CRAP. I have seen it personally and I would not pay $100 for it. Do not waste your money on this worthless costume. If you are going to try and do VADER.... do it justice and spend the money it takes to have a truly nice canon costume.

9. DarthDallas

DarthDallas Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2003
    oh... forgot to tell you the 501st will not let you in with this costume. I am a member if the 501st in Texas and we have had many discussions about this costume. At no point have we even considered letting someone in with this costume.

10. LukeSkiewalker

Apr 4, 2003
    I assumed as much and that is what I said in my post ;)

11. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Jedi Master star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    This is my first post, so hi everyone.

I've seen the Rubies costume but I'll get to that in a minute. First off I wanted to say that I spent a few years and $2000 on an accurate-as-possible Indiana Jones costume. I say as possible because there is no way to get a 100% accurate costume, things change from scene to scene. Except for the whip (David Morgan who made the movie whips sells them for around $600, I got a replica of a Morgan whip for $400) everything is made by the same costume companies for the originals. My hat was even cut and shaped by Richard Swales, who did Harrison's hat for Raiders. When I got that hat my jaw about hit the floor, it looked so perfect. Though when some other Indygear fans saw pics of it they picked it to pieces. Years have gone by, and in that hobby I met plenty of other people who were doing what I was. There is only one I talk to now. Why? Because the others were some of the rudest and most ungracious people I ever had the dis-pleasure of coming into contact with.

I've never seen a Vader fan made costume in person. I have been in the presence of a few movie used Vaders though. "Stage Nine" in Old Sacramento has the Rubies costume on display. When I first walked up to it I thought it was some kind of fan made thing. I had heard about it was surprised how good it actually looks as long as you're not giving it a major inspection. I think if someone just wants a Vader costume to display or use for themselves, Halloween, etc. it's pretty good as long as you don't pay too much for it. Maybe even if you want a full costume to start out with and replace the parts you're not satisfied with from there. I'm going to be getting a MR ROTS Vader helmet myself, and I'm sure there will be people tearing it down upon release. Alright.... flame me if ya feel the need. If not, I hope this helps.

12. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Could you post photos of your INDY costume... Sounds really cool.

I have seen the Rubies Costume on Sutarday and it sucks. Sorry to tll it this way, but it really sucks.

Colors are all wrong, the helmet's dome is far too thin (looks like paper), the helmet looks fake... Damn the whole thing looks fake.

Why would anyone want to pay $ 500 USD for this crap, instead of saving the money and getting a much better one.

it does not need to be a best quality one. I have seen fan made complete costumes which are sold for $ 1200 USD and look impressive.

Save your money people! It is not worth it!

13. tyleratticus

tyleratticus Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    I have also seen the Rubies Supreme Vader and I think it is worth the money! I have actually seen it on a model and it did look great. I guess if I had paid $3000 for a custom costume I would be negative about the mass release of this costume. While it might need a few improvements (heavier capes and or chest armor) this is a fine costume. Not all of us aspire to be in the 501st. I'mm buying the costume.

14. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    well crap. i promised my 8yr old son and 7yr old nephew a vader costume. i make all the costumes for the kids and myself. i intend to go all out and create as close to possible a costume as i can. you guys make it sound so hard.

15. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Don;t worry Jill, its not nearly that hard :)

Just these guys that have to have certian things or wave around tat they spent thousands on it :)

Make sure you post pictures when you do make the costume for your nephew!

16. Darth_Takeo

Darth_Takeo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    Okay, people talk about the 501st having strict costume rules and making sure it looks 'good enough.' Then how the heck do you explain this member??:

link removed

If they let this guy in, I can't see this Vader Supreme costume being worse or justification to deny someone membership.

Please don't disparage other costumers -- for all you know, they could be a part of this community.

17. Sarlacc_Pit

Sarlacc_Pit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    <<Okay, people talk about the 501st having strict costume rules and making sure it looks 'good enough.' Then how the heck do you explain this member??:

Please see above re: removed link

If they let this guy in, I can't see this Vader Supreme costume being worse or justification to deny someone membership. >>

Holy crap that was funny!

On the supreme Vader costume though, it depends on how much you are wanting to put into a Vader costume. I know a few people that have the expensive fan made costumes, and obviously they don't like it. I bought one because 1) I don't intend on wearing it myself, it is more for display and 2) I didn't want to spend more than 700 bucks on a Vader I won't ever wear.

It arrived today, and there have been over twenty people that have seen it, and all of them loved it. Of course none of them are costume junkies but are fans, but it passed the average fan inspection.
    It really justs depends on how accurate you want it to be and how much you want to spend.

18. Darth_Takeo

Sep 29, 2004
    How was I disparaging the costume any more than everyone is disparaging the one in the topic? Did I hit a nerve or something? That link is an actual member of the 501st so all I was doing was advertising for them. You have to agree with my point else you are blind.

The 501st are hypocritical if all this crap about not allowing certain costumes is true. Period.

19. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Discussing the pros and cons of a costume readily available for purchase is totally fine.
    Linking to a person's costume picture expressly for the purpose of pointing out that you think it is a bad costume is simply not the same thing. You hit no nerve.

I would agree that there is some disparity in what the 501st does and does not allow regarding their club standards. I suspect that in some areas where the interest in the group is lower, the costumes are cut a bit more slack in terms of quality assessment.

Nonetheless, back on topic...

I would say that the Vader Supreme, much like the other "supreme" offerings from Rubies, is going to look pretty good to the average average fan, and mediocre to the more costume-savvy.
    The one that was at the Rubies booth at CIII had some stitching problems that made me cringe, and a few spots that just weren't executed cleanly; i.e., there were areas where glue residue was visible, mountings just a hair crooked, etc. As I said, things that would probably go totally unnoticed by the general populace.

20. Darth_Takeo

Sep 29, 2004
    Fair enough, thanks for your clarification.

21. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Well you can buy it, but you will have to invest much money to make it look good.

The website Star Wars Helmets has a wonderful example of an modified Rubies helmet, which looks much better. It is a repaint.

Still the dome detailing (if you can even call it detailed) is really poor.

The Tusks and the Nose section need to be replaced and the lenses, too.

I wonder how a repaint of the armour would look like.

The Chest Box looks bad (note on some of those photos they don't show the Rubies box, read the notes) as does the belt.

Let's say a nice prototype for starters, but it needs a lot of work to look close to accurate.

22. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    As does any peice if vader costumes....especially the CA helmet.

23. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I saw it at C3. It's really worth the price.

As for the 501st, we don't allow store bought costumes. Period.

24. FoxMulder

FoxMulder Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    I actually have one and I couldn't be happier. Considering I got the entire costume for $650, which would basically cover the price of a "screen accurate" fiberglass version.

The only problems that I have with the costume, are the helmet and the collar piece. Firstly the helmet is probably a bit too big. It rests on the collar piece rather than my head. But I can get past that, considering I'm not likely to wear it too much at all. Also The collar piece just doesn't sit right. I'll probably get some velcro and use that to secure it to my chest, because the cape just keeps on pulling it backwards.

Other than that, I have no problem with it. (I did get a chuckle when I noticed that it had a small zipper up the front!)

I don't know what the problem with the chest box is. From the pictures of Vader from ROTS, it looks pretty accurate to me. As for the cape being too lightweight, I have no idea why the hell you would want it much heavier than it already is. If I had to walk around in a costume, I would much rather be comfortable than "absolutely screen accurate". It doesn't look bad at all, and actually flows pretty well.

I can't really see a problem with the belt or the cod piece either. To me it actuall looks more accurate than a few of the 501st member's versions. The only problem with it is that it is a bit hard, which makes sitting down a bit awkward.

For the price, it is a more than adequate costume. When I put it on, it is a bit big, (apart from the "faux" leather suit), but then again, If I had sourced the parts from elsewhere, I would simply have a costume that cost at least twice the price, and fitted just the same. (I'm not very tall).

In my opinion, if you wanted a costume that you can wear occasionally, and put on display, then this is not a bad costume for the price.

However if you wanted an uber accurate, home made costume where you can brag that it cost you several thousand dollars, then obviously it's not for you.

Personally I'd rather spend the extra money on my car.

25. tyleratticus

tyleratticus Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    S_S edit:Removed inflammatory comment.