Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    i got mine from him directly and he cut me a deal for 399 shipped for mine.

guess the cost of the leather drove up the price some.
  2. silversun913 Jedi Padawan

Seduced don't sweat it - things happen for a reason and I'm gonna hope this turns out for the best.

I checked the ebay feedback for both and both were overwhelmingly positive. Each only had one or two negatives and to be honest you are never gonna make everyone happy.

Claudio sent me an email and told me that he and LA use the same tailor. After looking at both of their wares it appears as though their suits are identical.

If the leather quality is slightly less - I'll be able live with it as I'm no expert and probably wouldn't be able to tell the differnce anyway.

Silversun913
  3. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Silversun - are both of these guys making real leather suits - or just LA?

Huzz
  4. seduced Jedi Knight

star 2
    Silver,

Sorry again for the screw up and thanks for not sending me any hate mail even though I deserve it. As you pointed out, their suits look identical and I thought I had the right link. That's what I get for thinking.

However, I think you'll still be very pleased with the suit. After reading through both of their auctions, they are using the exact same grade of leather (NAPA 069). Apparently, this is the best stuff on the market and if they are using the same tailor, going with Claudio's suit for a $100 less seems like a good deal. And I'm not trying to suger coat this just because I gave the wrong advice, if I had to buy another suit, I would probably go with Claudio for the better deal, assuming that he is using the same materials and workmanship as LA.

Huzz,

Claudio has been making leather suits for a while since I have seen the auctions on ebay over the last year or so. Of course, I thought it was LA the whole time.
  5. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Bill!

Don't sweat it over an honest mistake! Just remember to add an extra beer if we all ever meet up some time!

So if I understand you correctly, both LA (Fenixprops) and Claudio (Customprops) are making high quality real leather Vader bosdy suits, but the Customprops ones are $100 less. In that case, you've refered Siversun913 to the guy who can provide a great leather suit at a low price! Nuttin' wrong wit dat!

Huzz[face_peace]
  6. silversun913 Jedi Padawan

Huzz,

Yes, they are both making leather suits. While Claudio doesn't have as much feedback as LA both have incredibly positive remarks on thier suits.

I'm sure we may never know the actual story between the two, but I think they deal with people in the same circle to manufacture the items.

And I do believe that the sample pictures on each of their auction sites are identical except for the watermarks. One may have a Fenix brand and the other a Costom Props brand, but I think they are the same suit.

Silversun913
  7. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well guys, if the suits are identical, it would seem that the best thing would be to buy the least costly one - Customprops. That's what I'll do when the time comes.

Huzz
  8. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    not sure without askin LA on it, but the pics Claudio uses and shows are the same pics LA uses. he might allowed him to do that, i dont know.

LA and CP as far as i know do not use the same tailor, cuz LA has his own shop where himself and his own folks produce these items.

CP uses someplace else as far as i know, i mean, after what LA told me himself on the reasons they split up, i dont see why he would make thew stuff for him. dont seem logical to me. but business is business and i dont know unless i was to ask him bout it.

anyways on to a slightly different subject:

so far at the DEFCON, i run into my 501st garrison and my garrison leader. i spoke a modifed line i use, so i add a few of my own words into it. he stepped back ripped off his TK lid, and said who are you?

i told him my name and i was 501st, he asked from here? i said Claremore, and he said, dang it man, we've been tryin for a month to reach you for this event to represent vader for us here. well, i said, im here! so we did a photo opps shoot today, and i will get a group shot of us tommorrow so i can post it for everyone to see.

so far its been a blast, i walk in, and take 2 steps 20 pics later, take 2 more, 15 pics later, 2 steps, 30 pics later, well ya get the idea, i get swamped with pic requests. i love it. the smiles and awestruck looks im gettin, its all worth it!!

9. silversun913 Jedi Padawan

Quick question. As I said I'm going with the Rubies chest box. Should I have The slots/holes put in the leather suit or should I have him use a velcro attachment for it?

I could see using the velcro rather than putting slots/holes in the leather, but I'm a little concerned as to whether it will stay on there.

Silversun913
  10. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    when i got mine from LA, i put slots in the suit myself, i used the buttonhole attachment on my wifes sewing machine. after they were done then a sharp exacto blade opened the holes up.

some use velcro, and seems to work for them, but i wanted more security with the strap system like the rubies suit was setup like. my box im using is a porty box, and weighs alot more than a rubies box, i had to make a backplate for it, and i took the pattern for it off the rubies backplate.

with a rubies box, you could very well go with velcro, since it weighs less, but a heavier box like the porty one i feel needs a lil more support such as the strap system.
  11. silversun913 Jedi Padawan

Lan - You are way too handy, I wouldn't know the first thing about using a sewing machine.

I'm definitely with you on the strap system - I just can't get around the fact that the velcro might give at some point.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with the velcro initially and if need be I can take the suit to a tailor to put the holes in if it doesn't hold up. Sorry, I'm just thinking as I type.

Thanks again - Bro

12. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Silversun913!

Once again, Lan has you covered! I definitley would want to have a strap of some sort just in case the box gets detached from the velcro. I've got my Porty box attached with velcro and a "just in case" strap.

You could always ask Customprops to make your suit with a small slot for a strap. You'd have to estimate where that would be on your new suit by suiting up in what you have and centering the box between the chest armor and the belt buckle. The risk in doing this is that the slot on the finished suit may end up being above or below where you want the box to be - leaving a potentially visible opening. The safest plan is, as you say, to get the finished suit and then have a strap slot tailored in.

Cheers!

Huzz
  13. seduced Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've been using industrial strength velcro for over a year now. My chest box is a modified Rubies and even with all of the metal parts, it is still pretty light. When I first got my suit, I didn't want to put holes in it so I thought I would try the velcro system for my first costume outing. It worked well so I just left it on there and its been doing fine since.
  14. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Industrial strength velcro is pretty darn strong. I think Shatner uses it to keep the rug in place![face_laugh]

Huzz
  15. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    thats what i was sayin above, the rubies bow even with the replaced parts to metal, still weighs in tons less than the Porty box of mine does. thats why i was sayin, in the rubies box case, velcro might be all you need, but a heavier box like Portys, you need a lil safeguard there.
  16. silversun913 Jedi Padawan

I'm going with the velcro and adding the holes later if necessary.

Huzz - you were thinking the same way I was. If my measurements were off slightly I'd end up with useless holes in the suit.

Better safe (and out a few more bucks) than sorry!

Thanks guys

Silversun913
  17. seduced Jedi Knight

star 2
    That's exactly what I my fear was when I got my suit.

18. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    yep, i had discussed that with LA also, but decided to just do it myself when it arrived.

that way when the armor was on, i could position it where i needed, and mark it, and use the buttonhole attachment on the wifes sewing machine to make my slots.
  19. seduced Jedi Knight

star 2
    I thought I would bump this thread with a few pics from my last troop at the Clone Wars premier. As you can see, I was in a bad mood and had to choke out a few people!

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_2817.jpg]
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_2819.jpg]
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_2821.jpg]
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_2823.jpg]
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_2824.jpg]
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/wjlane/100_2884.jpg]

20. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great pics Bill!!

The wife and I took our little fella out to see Clone Wars on Friday evening and we encountered these guys. They were posted at the exit of the theatre at the end of the movie. They had their own photographer and were taking pictures and emailing them to you if you made any donation to the local Autism Society. We were more than happy to contribute to such a great cause.

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s23/daveyvader/CloneWarsPremiere.jpg]

That's me and the missus - Vader unmasked LOL! I could not convince my son to get in the picture. He thought the troopers were real. No problem with Vader but scared by troopers. Go figure!

Hey Bill - how do you eat popcorn through that helmet? [face_laugh]

Cheers!
    Dave
  21. seduced Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow! An actual Dave sighting! So there is proof after all that the Huzzster exists!

As far as the popcorn, I just ram it into the grille screen and try to lick it up from the inside. Seriously though, everyone else I was trooping with was chowing down on free popcorn during the troop and all I could do was watch and drool in my lid. Unlike my Rubies, I can't just pull the MR off whenever I want. Oh well, that's the price I pay for accuracy.
  22. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    LOL!!

Yup - I'm real! Unlike the bigfoot in the freezer that the boys found a few weeks ago!! [face_laugh] Note my plastic bag full of goodies - including - POPCORN!!![face_dancing]

I definitley have to get some suited up pics posted here. Right now I'm waiting on new fibreglass ROTS armor from Darth Stone. When I get that, I'll get some pics of my gear for all to poke fun of!

Cheers!
    Dave
  23. seduced Jedi Knight

star 2
    I didn't know Stone was already accepting orders. I just now checked the forum and saw the progress he's been making. I need to get one but he said he's stopped taking orders on the painted ones for now.
  24. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Stoner's new armor does look really nice. It will have a leather "bib" on the underside so that the armor does not scratch the neck of your MR helmet. There will be metal hinges and the bells will rest against the armor in such a way that they do not slide under the armor like the Rubies ones do. There will be a felt or leather strip there to prevent the armor and bell from damaging each other. Plus, he's got the correct armor chain as well. I've asked for 14 links in my chain, which is screen accurate based on the pictures I have seen.

Cheers!
    Dave
  25. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    yep. already paid for my Stone armor fully painted, just waiting for him to figure out my shippin so i can paypal that on over too. still waitin for my LA cape and robe set too.