Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. silversun913 Jedi Padawan

Hello All,

I got my leather suit from Claudio tonight and it's incredible - Thanks for all the advice. Lan - going 2 inches bigger on the round measurements was the way to go and he was dead on with the straight lines.

As I said before I'm not sure what went down with Claudio & Lucas, but the suit I recieved was dead on accurate with those pictured in both of their ebay stores. All I know is that I saved a couple hundred going with Claudio and I couldn't be happier. I was also able to secure a factory sealed MR Vader helmet on ebay and I'm just about ready to go.

Any thoughts on breathing devices and voice changers? I've looked through the threads and have heard about hyperdyne, but that seems far too complicated and expensive. I may just go with the supplied breathing device from the Rubies suit, unless there's an easier route I've missed.

Harry
  2. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    hyperdyne is the BEST way to go. prob is him havin any in stock to buy, they go FAST!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Darth_Perilous Jedi Knight

It's been a couple of days since I e-mailed Hyperdyne and I still haven't gotten a response.

LAN-ED-TUL, I think I heard you mention that you had a Vortex 1 that you replaced with your newer V2. If you still have that V1, could I buy it off of you?
  4. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    im keepin it as a backup, if the V2 needs repairin i can still use the V1 till it returns from Jim.
  5. seduced Force Ghost

star 2

I'm glad everything turned out good for you!

With the quality of your suit now that you have the leather suit and MR lid, don't use the Rubies breathing module because it's just crap. If the V2 is not your cup of tea right now, I suggest using an MP3 player / personal PA setup.

What I did was order a personal PA amp similar to the Newton, pulled the speaker out and mounted it in the lower grille of the mask. The speaker is wired to the amp that clips on the back of my belt out of sight. I use a y-adapter to feed two seperate MP3 player signals to the amp. The MP3 players themselves are very small and I use one to feed a constant loop of a quality breathing file while the other I use for on-demand voice quotes. I also have the Imperial March for dramatic entrances.

The breathing MP3 player is strapped to the amp while the voice player sits nicely in my hand out of sight. If you see most of my pics, I have the player in my hand but it is not noticeable at all. The play button is very large and all I do is hit it when I want a clip. If I don't need it right away, I just let it go and it falls slightly behind my thigh out of sight but still within reach when I need it again.

The clips and breathing I use are very clean and have no background music or noise in them.

If you need pics of my set up or you want the voice and breathing files, please let me know.
  6. alum1numfalc0n Jedi Padawan

Wow! I'm very jazzed about how you made the "on demand quotes". Hats off to you for a very cool idea. Smart thinkin'!

7. DarkLordsApprentice Jedi Padawan

So I just took my costume out of its crate for a little touch up before the big day, and apparently my left shoulder bell is coming off of the chest piece!

Any ideas on a good way to re-attach so I don't have to worry about this again?
  8. seduced Force Ghost

star 2
    Can you post some pics or go into greater detail on how it is coming off? Are you still using the stock Rubies attachment hinge? I may have a solution for you but it involves permanently attaching your bells so they don't hinge upwards.
  9. Darth_Perilous Jedi Knight

Hey seduced, do you still have those Vader sound files for voice clips and the breathing loop? Looks like I'll be forced to resort to using my MP3 player to supply sound for my Vader suit this year.

I just wish I knew where Hyper was. Seems like he dropped off the face of the earth...
  10. seduced Force Ghost

star 2
    Yes, I have the files. Just PM me an email address I can send them to. Jim at Hyperdyne just finished a batch of V2 units that sold out about 2 or 3 days ago. It will be another 2 months before he makes another run. Send him an email and he'll put you on his distro list when he's done with the next batch.
  11. Darth_Perilous Jedi Knight

Grah! I sent emails to him on the 21st AND 22nd of September and he didn't even bother to check his inbox. I'm never going to be able to get a Vortex. Never ever ever ever ever never ever.

Anyway, I'm sending that PM to you.
  12. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've always wanted to toss in a bit of AC/DC in between my Vader quotes. Y'know, tunes like Back in Black, Dirty Deeds and Highway to Hell. I kinda picture Vader cranking those tunes in the old Tie Advance while picking off a few rebel fighters!

Huzz
  13. seduced Force Ghost

star 2
    While it would be nice to have the V2, I often ponder if I really need it. I mean, if I did have it, sure I could interact with people more but most of the time folks want to hear you say something from the movie. All of the voice clips I use can apply to anyone I meet in any situation such as "Give yourself to the Dark Side" and "Don't make me destroy you" just to name a couple of examples. If I had the V2, I just see myself repeating quotes I already have from the movie. If the V2 were cheaper, it would be a much easier purchase but not because I don't have the money, I do, it's just that I don't see me getting my money's worth of use out of it.
  14. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    It is darn pricey, there's no doubt about that.

If you get one (and I don't have one either), you really need to practice with it in my opinion. I've heard a little bit of them and they do make you sound like James Earl Jones. But to realy sound like Vader, you have to deliver the words the same way. Its almost like practicing to do a convincing foreign accent. The stress on certain parts of the word is differnt than normal speech.

For example, I think when Vader says "Your destiny lies with me, Skywalker. Obi-Wan knew this to be true", he doesn't just say it plainly like you and I would. He stresses the end of "your" and "me". The "n" in Obi-Wan has a real rumble, almost as if that part of the word came from a sub-woofer.

You have to view Vader's speech as a distinctive accent. Once you master the accent, add a V2 and freak people out!
  15. bkh0501 Jedi Knight

Does anyone have a portable amplifier that you would recommend to the rest of us for audio? Links and pics are helpful, too!
  16. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    JBL speakers work really well, if you maybe used a newton amp with the wire cut and a jack installed to hook up the jbl, then you might have a good lil system pretty cheap.
  17. SLippe Jedi Padawan

Well, my procrastination of redoing my Vader helmet/lid has come back to bite me in the butt. It's 2 weeks until Halloween and I'm still sanding the Primer. I'm just about done with the Dome, but still have the Face piece to do, not to mention the whole interior. I'm having eye surgery this coming Thursday, the 23rd, so I'm not even sure I'm going to be able to dawn my costume this year anyways. *sigh*

I think I may have put on too much Primer on the Dome part of the helmet, well, that or I just scratched it way too much when trying to remove the Clear Coat I had put on last year. Sanding is a pain in the arse! LOL I'm nervous about applying the paint, as I just hope it sticks, not to mention shines. I may have to just purchase another helmet/lid before next year and might pay someone to paint/mod it for me. ;)

seduced, I've sent you a PM with my email address for those voice files. Thanks in advance.
  18. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    you should use a filler primer it helps to fill in the scratches better.
  19. SLippe Jedi Padawan

Ugh! Didn't know there was such a thing, plus it's too late as I painted it today. And yup...looks like total dog crap! It's trashed, well, at least the dome is, haven't even started on the face piece. *sigh* I'm so d*mn frustrated, but hey, first time doing anything like this. Well, no Shawn Vader this year. :(
  20. seduced Force Ghost

star 2

Files sent.

21. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah the filler/primer paint is all i ever use when primering. each coat is heavier, but still applied lightly like usual. it just helps to ill in spots like air bubble pin holes, scratches, etc... works better cuz in the end you dont have to apply tons of coats just a couple usually to get the job done. your dome can be salvaged, just sand it all the way back down and use the filler primer. look for duplicolor filler/primer.

remember to wetsand between coats of primer. you want it nice and smoothed out BEFORE you ever shoot paint. ive done vader FG shins and rubies chest armor and both turned out nice.
  22. SLippe Jedi Padawan

Thanks. I'll give it a shot this weekend or so, if I'm able to after having my eye surgery (cornea transplant) this coming Thursday.
  23. LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Master

star 4
    just dor rush and make it more of a problem to fix. and good luck on the surgery bro!
  24. Huzz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Somehow I expect that if you are having eye surgery Thurdsay, spray painting over the weekend would be a particularly bad idea!

Huzz
  25. Criix Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone,
    I've been scouring through the messages here and I'm still not sure whether I need a standard size or XL size. I'm 6'2" tall, have a 36" waist, wear jeans with a 34" inseam, and have a 41" chest. I'm slightly muscular, no belly, and have REALLY thick legs (I can't wear regular cut jeans, always have to get loose or relaxed fit). Some folks here that are around my height say the standard fits great, while others have complained that it rides up in the crotch or that it feels like it'll rip if they bend over. I really don't want to drop around $500 for this thing only to find out it was the wrong size. Please help!
Moderators: Commander-DWH