main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    in regards to the fx sabers. do the converision kits they sell make the blade brighter and the sound louder.if so which company is the best. i have a darth vader fx thanks talk to soon.

2. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    they dont do anything for sound, you replace the stock blade and blade holder with ametal one, the old blade is tossed, and you use a 1" poly C thick walled blade with a diffuser, its removeable, so sdaber is a belt hanger and fully functional hard core dueler sabwer when blade is inserted.

brighter? hell yeah, like ten times brighter than stock, with NO leds in the blade anymore.

3. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    great thanks what company tho.

4. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    well if he has them in stock, thecustomsabershop.com is where i buy all my saber supplies from

5. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    thanks lots

6. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    i ordered a new cod piece from customprops i can't wait till it gets here.Halloween is almost here, couple of tweeks left to do.thank god for my wife she handles my ocd very well talk to you soon.

7. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    I was wondering if there is anyone that is a member of this forum from calif. high desert.Thanks papatoolsdv or darin

8. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    hey i was just on ebay and i saw a darth vader one piece body suit and it said ecologic leather what does that mean.And is it a good suit or not the price was good. thanks

9. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    Hey anybody out there?HOW'S all the costume mods going for the big halloween day?Got a new cod piece from caludio the other day it is awsome.I want to get a suit done by him have to get the money save.Maybe for next year.talk to you soon

10. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    have you ugrade your fx saber? I want to do mine to a luxeon 3, but i don't know what parts to order.Any help would be great.THANKS

11. BojTrek

BojTrek Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    Hey guys... I know it is not 100% accurate... shoot it might not be 75%...

But I will tell you what, for someone that will not go to a convention in the costume. I love the Darth Vader Supreme!

I have worn it every Halloween since buying it about 4 or 5 years ago. I wear it around the neighborhood with my daughters and kids in the neighborhood run over with their parents to take pictures.

I think it is very accurate... when I wear it, I know I look like a 5'11" Darth Vader.

So, if you are on the bubble with the costume and will only wear it only Halloween and not to Darth Vader shows... get it!

I have posted pictures somewhere in this thread... but cannot find them

I love the costume... ENJOY!

12. SLippe

SLippe Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2007
    It's been a long time since I post on here, about a year I think. Anyways, I'm still sporting my Rubie's Vader. :) I too was only wearing mine at Halloween time, but back in June (yes June in Oklahoma) my church put on a Block Party for the neighborhood. I thought it would be fun to show up in Vader. So I did! It was 94' F outside! Needless to say, I only made it about 40 minutes. LOL

Well, I also joined JediOKC recently and have been trooping with them a couple of times and have more trooping here in a few weeks. Now, I know the Rubie's isn't "movie accurate", but the general public doesn't know the difference. However, I have managed to switch the red and green light boxes on the chest box. A lot easier than I thought and wish I had done it a long time ago! I've also got some metals parts for the belt boxes, but not sure when I'll get a chance to work on those.

This weekend I've been adding one of those PCI slot fans made for computers in the top area of the face. I got the idea from someone on here back several, several pages. The user on here uses two 9 volt batteries, which are placed under the fan with the metal clips and velcro. I use those as well. However, the only fan I could find is the Antec VCool fan at Best Buy, which is a dual slot fan. It's exactly the same thickness as the area at top. I have to run to Radio Shack tomorrow and get two more battery clips and one more toggle switch. Then I'll test it out before I troop in it on the 24th.

Here's a few pictures, so far;

[image=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/917/fanhelmetbatteries10040.jpg]

[image=http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4211/fanwithvelcro100409.jpg]

[image=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/487/faninserted100409.jpg]

By the way, I have a question about my Rubie's lid when compared to the MR lid. Does the back of the MR lid stick out as far as the Rubie's lid? Vader's helmet doesn't appear to stick out that far in any of the movies, especially Ep. III. Is there a fix for this with the Rubie's? Pictures look great from the front, but side-view pictures look a little funny. Just curious.

13. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    great pictures of the fan install.do you remember how much the fan was at best buy.good luck on the 24th have fun.

14. SLippe

SLippe Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2007
  15. silversun913

silversun913 Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2008
    Hey Guys,

I just bought a Master Replicas LE Darth Vader Revenge of the Sith saber and am in need of a belt clip ASAP? The only thing I've been able to find is a covertec that ships from over seas. Any ideas on a quick fix - I need something for this Saturday.

Thanks,

Silversun

16. EJGreen

EJGreen Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm a new member to these forums and I realize this thread is a few years old but I'm hoping someone might be reading them still. I recently acquired the Rubies Supreme Vader costume and I would like to modify the "breathing" sound system so that I can mount it inside the helmet like a cooling fan. I've already installed a cooling fan with a battery so I'm no completely brainless about small electronics. I would like to modify the breathing device so that I don't have to run the wire down through the sleeve. I was hoping to remove the button switch and connect it to a battery mount in the helmet. If anyone has done this and has any detailed information about it, I'd be greatly appreaciative.

Peace,

Eric

17. DarthCarcinus

DarthCarcinus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2006
    Ok guys, I've read through this and have seen a lot of information... some of it mis-information. Here's the scoop. There are mods that have to be done to the Rubies Supreme costume to join the 501st. But I'll be the first one to tell you that if you do this, your wasting your money right off the bat. The modifications are extensive, and to be honest with you... not even worth it. Your better off to start from scratch. I'm the current Detachment Leader for the 501st Sith Lords Detachment, my predecessor wrote the modifications that are still in use. If you want to know what the mods are, I will post them here to avoid any confusion:
    Rubies Vader - Modifications Needed to Convert to Different Versions

The bottom line is that most people who start out with a Rubies find themselves unhappy that they started out in this manner. Can you mod it and get it accepted? Sure. Will you find yourself regretting not starting on a complete costume from scratch in the end? YES.
    For more information please visit the Detachment boards: http://www.501stsithlords.com

18. seduced

seduced Jedi Master star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    You're right. Out of the box, the Rubies makes a great Halloween costume and that was my original intent when I bought it. But then I stumbled onto threads such as this and learned of the 501st Legion and their mission. More than 3 years later and a couple grand lighter in the pocket, here I am. If however, you have every intention of entering the Legion with a Vader suit, do not buy the Rubies.

19. seduced

Oct 6, 2005
    Yeah, the Rubies sticks out further than the MR. I've seen people mod the key at the top of the mask to lower the dome but perhaps you could trim the top of the key at an angle so that it slopes down from the front to the rear. This might help lower it and draw in the rear of the dome. Honestly though, if you're serious about becoming a more accurate ROTS Vader, the MR lid is the way to go. There is only so much you can do to a Rubies and it just isn't worth the time to try and make it into something it will never be. I did some decent mods to my Rubies and it turned out well, but I still ended up getting the MR. On the other hand, 99% of the public would never point out that your dome sticks out too far so it boils down to what you want to live with.

20. seduced

Oct 6, 2005
    You can find a wide assortment of fans at newegg.com.

21. seduced

Oct 6, 2005
    Were you able to get a clip in time? Sorry I couldn't help. I got mine from a stateside vendor over 2 years ago and I forgot who that was. Personally, when it comes to hanging that beautiful and expensive hilt, there is not a quick fix. Do it right the first time with a covertec clip and make sure it is very secure to your belt. That hilt is heavy!

22. seduced

Oct 6, 2005

Honestly, the Rubies breathing device is crap. The sound is awful and the clip they used sounds way off. Your best bet would be to make your own setup. Do a search for the Califone PA-282 or Newton personal amps. I have the Califone and removed the speaker and installed it in the lower grille of my helmet. The amp itself clips on my belt in the middle of my back and I added speaker wire to run from the amp to the speaker. I use connectors right before the wire enters the helmet that way the amp and helmet aren't tethered to each other all the time. I have a very clean and crisp breathing file on a small MP3 player set to repeat mode. This player plugs into the amp and let it play all the time while trooping. If you need the breathing file, just PM your email address and I'll send it off.

23. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    ok, i will add my 2 cents as well, a supreme vader is fine for halloween costuming, if thats all ya want it for. but if wanted for anything else other than that, its crap.

the vinyl body suit is what i coined the nickname "the sauna suit" cuz thats exactly what it is, you sweat your butt off in that thing.

as of right now, theres nothing left of my supreme suit i wear at all, everything hass now been replaced with much more accurate stuff.

and yes it was pricey to do so, i have 5 grand tied up in mine now, my old rubbies vader will now be used to make a manny when i have time to put one together. so my advice is halloween, just fine, but anything more involved, like 501st admittance or the like, your best off searchin the vendors for parts from scratch. i learned my lesson, and wished i hadnt spent 550 bucks on that supreme in the first place.

oh and as far as the rubbies lid goes, its a esb lid theyre tryin to pass off as rots, its in no way shape or form even remotely close to a ROTS lid as they are tryin to pass it off as with the costume. the rots has extended front neck that goes UNDER the armor in front. just look at the rots MR. its a exact copy of the original, which BTW, is what i use now myself, i added the fan in lower grill, and use a hyperdyne Vortex 2 voice system with a headset mike for voice and breath supplied by a mp3 player looped.

if your gonna portray the costume other than for halloween, then please do it justice, and get the parts needed to look the part.

24. hummerth-2

hummerth-2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    Hi,

I haven't posted on here for years, although I do pop in occasionally and check the posts.

Regarding the Rubies costume, for the money it costs and with a little time spent on upgrades and conversions a good affordable Vader costume can be had. Yeah it's never gonna be a full blown pucker version, but I never had anyone saying my costume was wrong, generally the opinion was it was a great costume, I still have people saying my Vader costume is the best one our local club has ever had (I don't do costuming anymore), and the Vader we have now uses a leather two piece, fibreglass shoulder guard and MR replica helmet.

I'm not a member of the 501st and personally I don't like the UK Garrison group (I'm in the UK, they are the main SW costuming group) so I didn't have to strive for a 'perfect' costume, I made it to what I wanted in a costume. It's funny how a lot of these Star Wars groups tell you how your costume should be, when in fact the actual costumes in the films where so different in so many scenes, so what costume is right? Luckily my new costume I find the forum group I'm in now don't seem to have as many issues regarding what the 'costume' should look like, because they know there were so many different versions, so no one can actually say your 'costume' is wrong.

Having given up my Vader costuming I now have this costume, well the broadest sense of the word, I've built mysef a full RC 1:1 R2-D2 droid. It's taken about a year to build most of it, but the project has been going on for almost three years since I first purchased the first parts. The droid will be finished this year, but the best bit is I don't have to suffer the wearing of it like I did Vadering, thank god! And it wasn't because it was a Rubies costume, but because it's so damn tiring wearing it for four or more hours!

[image=http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x168/Hummerth2/R2%20D2/R2onfeet01.jpg]

Here's a small video clip.
    R2-D2 Video

Owen

25. PAPATOOLSDV

PAPATOOLSDV Jedi Knight

May 3, 2009
    hey i have not posted anything in awhile.I had a question about dv chest armor have you or do you know someone that has cut the bottom edge of the armor off?Im trying to get a bigger space between the chest box and the bottom edge of the armor.wHAT KIND OF TOOL TO USE! THANKS ALOT PAPATOOLSDV