main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    "The RL doesn't accept the Rubies jedi outfits.
    Why attack us because we won't accept the Rubies Vader?"

I think this is a valid point. However, you should keep in mind that one is less than $100 (jedi) and the other is $600-$1000+ (vader). Don't get me wrong I agree that fan-made costumes are great. But the Vader costume is much more accurate than a Rubies Jedi. This, to a certain degree, just shows you get what you pay for. The cost you pay for the vader vs the jedi gets you a better costume by far.

I think that one thing people are forgetting when they look at the Rubies costume is how critical us costumers can be. My own costume isn't perfect and I am continually finding ways to try to improve it. The next thing I am going to do is do a complete rework with different fabric. When I a at an event I can be very critical of some of the other Jedi costumes. I would never say anything too them or really to anyone else. But I am thinking it. I think the same thing probably applies to Vaders. A person who has spent X amount of dollars and X amount of time researching and building their costume is going to notice the flaws. Beleive it or not I know where you are coming from in this regard. I have spent as much on my Jedi costume as some of you have spent on your vaders ( I will never say exactly how much though). But that was my choice. Do I have a problem with people who spent a 1/4 of what I spent? Not at all. I guarantee they have just as much fun as I do at the end of the day. More than anything that is what's important. We join the 501st and the RL to have fun. And if a costumer is able to have fun without joining then good for him or her!

I think this debate may have gone a little far and is starting to get silly. I can sum up this thread by the following: Those who have a Vader costume already say the Rubies needs to be heavily modded to look good. Out of the people who don't have a vader already, 90% think this costume is worthwhile even if it means they can't join the 501st with it.

EDIT: Hint~I think those of you above who are posting those links need to re-read the first page.

2. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    TC517 -- I have no idea what Puntos para ti means, sorry.

If it was up to me I'd remove those crappy Vader suits from the site period. They can have as many good trooper suits, or whatever, they want, but putting those things up there make it seem pretty ridiculous to ban the Supreme suit. Every picture I've seen of it looks better than the four I posted.

And yes I keep editing, I keep finding more examples of bad work that's allowed to pass through.

The 501st needs to understand there are people out there who cannot afford to make all thos mods, or are simply not good at it. There are people who want to join the group to take part in the charity events and such, and to say their suit is not allowed but that fat guy in the first one is makes no sense to me at all. It sounds like some elitist country club that needs a good overhaul.

Don't sit there and tell us the Supreme outfit isn't allowed yet some of this junk is.

3. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Does anyone in this thread actually own the Supreme suit?

Posts on the rpf.com forum tended to lean to the "it's a good suit with minor needs" and not the it sucks we see here.

The main thing I see here is people blacklisting the suit since it's rubies without having seen it before. It is possible for companies to get better with time, although the Chewie one does look really really bad.

4. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Puntos para ti means points for you. :)

"Don't sit there and tell us the Supreme outfit isn't allowed yet some of this junk is."
    I am gonna sit here, but I think LukeSkiewalker is right.... disscussion is over. This has turned into a anti/pro 501st thread.

[face_talk_hand]

5. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Ah, perhaps I should have paid more attention back in high school :)

I'm not anti anything. I don't care one way or the other, but I can't be the only one who sees the hypocrasy here.

But as someone who was considering the suit and would like a quality Vader suit to own, what would be the things wrong with this outfit that I need to upgrade. And as someone who SUCKS at costuming you'll need to dumb it down :)

EDIT: I didn't mean "you" don't sit there... It was more directed at people who allow junk in over at least a somewhat respectable looking piece.

6. TC517

May 14, 2001
    First, you need to ask a few things...
    1. Do you want to wear this costume casually and for fun?
    2. Would you like to be part of offcial lucasfilm things?
    3. How much are you willing to spend? (this is the biggest thing)
    4. Do you have the body type? size, weight, how tall are you?

If you want to wear this just for fun, around the house, Holloween... then doing a Vader is no problem (Rubies or otherwise).
    If you are planning on doing official things... Lucasfilm events, Celebration IV, etc., keep in mind that you will be competing with other Vaders.... VERY GOOD and expensive (sometimes obsessive) Vaders who will get the spot. For most events there can only be one Vader, just like there will only be one Boba etc. If you are too short, too fat, or otherwise not perfect, you will often be passed over. At a recent Pepsi event, they demanded there only be one of each "face" costume... that means the other Vaders were out of luck.

I guess you have to decide how bad you want to be Vader. To me, it kinda seems it has to be all or nothing for this outfit. You might consider being something else.... for the prices other people in the thread have mentioned, you can get a set of trooper armor and never be left out.

From what other people have said... you will end up replacing/repainting just about everything to make this work. :(

7. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    1. Do you want to wear this costume casually and for fun? Well I'm not totally sure what I want yet. I've always wanted a Vader suit ever since I first saw it. I wouldn't mind participating in events if I had the time. A girl at my wife's work is in the 501st and so is her husband so maybe I could tag along with them. My family does a lot of charity stuff already so this would be something fun to do.

2. Would you like to be part of offcial lucasfilm things? What are the official Lucasfilm things?

3. How much are you willing to spend? (this is the biggest thing) I like the price of the Supreme, that's close enough to what I'd want to spend. If I could find a fan to make one for close to the same amount I'd be all about that too.

4. Do you have the body type? size, weight, how tall are you? I'm pretty much on par with Hayden's body type. He had to wear a padded suit to fill it out, and if I wanted to be nuts about it I'm sure I would as well.

I realize there are an assload of Vader's around so if I was to ever try to join the 501st I'd like to do it as a ROTS clone trooper. Red, slightly beat up :)

8. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60361&item=7520664544&rd=1

This helmet company is pretty much the sheeeet when it comes to accuracy correct?

9. TC517

May 14, 2001
    Master replicas is offcially liscensed and pretty awesome! I'm sure there is a good clone thread around here somewhere....

Official Lucasfilm stuff would be Celebrations, the recent Wal-Mart events, or other things lucasfilm contacts the 501st for. They almost always say they only want one Vader.

I don't know exactly what it would take to make a good Rubies based Vader (there are much better technical people around here)... but I did meet a guy at CIII who preordered and found out he is in way over his head if he wants to turn it into a 501st costume.

If you have the money and don't want to be a 501st Vader, no one should hesitate to buy the Rubies. You will have fun and most people won't notice. Just hope that a 501st Vader doesn't show up too... then people will notice. I don't have that kind of money, so for me I have to decide what I can wear the most and what I can get out of my costume. :)

EDIT: Double negatives= teh suck

10. KevVader

KevVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    MR does make very nice stuff.....pretty spot on accuracy. Their ROTS Vader helmet is due out in November of this year...$899 US retail...Target.com is taking preorders.

....well, the first pic of the pudgy Vader is a bit laughable....however, he does seem to have some good components....barring the bodysuit.....some of the others are not as accurate....yet I applaud them for taking the plunge. Also, I agree with a previous post where some of these guys were let in early on in the organization when they were starving for new members. I know of one of the posted pix members who has modified his suit quite a bit since that pic was taken.

I would say if you want the Rubies....go ahead and buy it, modify it, post the pix here and show how good it could potentially look!

11. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Kev, You have a suit correct? Or were you selling it?

EDIT: $899 for a helmet!!! Whoever buys that and WEARS it is insane.

12. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Well unless I joined the 501st I wouldn't be wearing a Vader suit out in public, unless it's Halloween. No sense in getting it dirty and such. And I have a feeling if I actually did a suit they would allow in then I'd be at the bottom of the list for my area when it comes to events. So either way I look at it there's no point in spending a bunch of money on a suit to go to events. More for my personal collection I guess. But I want to see one in person first.

How much, if you don't mind me asking, did you spend on that trooper suit you have?

13. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    Yeah, I have a Vader prop/costume....constantly upgrading it so I haven't displayed it yet. My plan is to have it on a mannequin display in my home office when I'm not wearing it (which is 95% of the time!!).....I figure I have at least $3500 (CDN) in it....plus an extra display helmet, sabers and other stuff.....I have been selling off some of the components as I upgrade...(chest armor, anyone?)

I also have a Trooper suit which will be displayed beside my Vader....currently an FX, which I'm going to replace the lid with an MR OT Trooper when they come out (hopefully, later this year)....probably $1200 in the Trooper with all the accessories...

EDIT...well my costume helmet was more than that so colour me insane!!! LOL

14. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    im not to sure about who needs to grow up here.

we have been very nice and tried to explain why we dont take in the rubies.. and have said many times if you upgraded it that it would be allowed in.. many of us think upgrading it is a waste of time but that is our thoughts. if you want to upgrade it.. more power to ya..

yes the 501st has some bad vaders. that is being taken care of. they have been going back and tring to get people to upgrade.. and is the reason i founded the Sith Lord detachment so people can find a community that will help them.

there is a person on the RPF that has done wonders with the rubies helmet. and it is awesome. proving if you work at it, it could work.

if you dont care what the 501st thinks then why are you tring to get us to take in this costume?

15. TC517

May 14, 2001
    $1200 give or take for my trooper... but you can cut some corners and save some cash. The gloves were too much and I got a Hyper-firm blaster for $250. That added a lot of money.

See if some of your local costume shops have the Rubies Vader... mine did. The store owner got all of the HORRIBLE rubies (and older) stuff together and had his employees come to the movie premiere all dressed up. It looked bad when I was taller than the Vader. :p
    A local shop around you might have it though... which gives you an idea of the quality of this suit. If the local costume shops are willing to rent it out to anyone, its certainly not movie quality. :(

16. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    Yeah....I think this thread is starting to take a nasty turn into "let's trash the 501st"...which I don't think the originator intended it to be.

I'm not a member, but I understand thier need for standards. They are taking the hobby to the next level by attending high visibilty events, etc...and they want their members to look the part. I have no problem with that.....I think that if there are those that feel the Rubies could be admissable then go ahead and prove them wrong...buy it and make it better.

17. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    my trooper is prolly about 1200 cuz ive bought stuff to make it a sandtrooper (it already dirty, makes life easy :D ).

Id really like to get a rubber lewis 21.. but that will wait as im really tall so i dont use my trooper much.

as far as living far away from stuff... i was awared most miles travels award this year... i live about 4-6 hours from anything so im always having to travel to wear my suit. and i have already dont alot of events this year.

But very well worth it.. I have made lots of awesome friends in my garrison. Wouldnt trade it for the world. Prolly why many of us get defensive when the 501st get dogged on cuz many of us have made very good friends and have gotten lots of help to get where we are.

18. Obi-Good

Obi-Good Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    SSintimidator. Well done for finding some of the dodgiest costumes ever. Kudos my friend.

I am not saying the Rubies suit should be let into 501st. I think it belittles the efforts of the custom costumers.

However, I don't like people dissing out of hand as it is not a custom.

There are plenty worse suits in the 501st as SSintimidator has proved. If fact the one he showed are hilarious are the Rubies makes them look like a cheap suit from Walmart!

I do think plenty of people are too quick to flame it. I will admit if I had made a suit and it cost me $3000 I would be reluctant to say, "Erm, yeah, mine looks crud in comparison!" And plenty in the 501st do!

As for the 100% movie accurate suits out there...well I have not seen one and I like anyone else could easily find fault with any of them.

But to summarise, no it shouldn't be in the 501st as it is not a custom. No it is not 100% accurate but it aint't the worst out there.

But give hem a few years, when no longer porduced, the official merchendise tag on it could make them worth more than most customs to collectors. You can't officially advertise selling a custom anyway. (501st naughty naughty!)

One point thaty hasn't been addressed by the 501st, are you selling as much now the Rubies are selling theirs?

Ooh those grapes are a bit tart!!

19. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    .....find a fault with this one....I dare ya!!

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kglofcheskie@rogers.com/album?.dir=a171&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

This was made by a talented prop maker from exact dimensions and materials....LFL couldn't have done it any better!

(..to the owner of this photo (you know who you are ;), if you have any issue with me posting this pic, let me know and I'll remove it)

20. Obi-Good

Obi-Good Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    To quote Vader himself "All too easy".

I would be stooping to your level.

I think I can see 3 or 4 things that look off to me but the size of the picture doesn't help.

Thats said, it's a great suit and I would be proud of it.

Sorry, I ain't gonna bite.

21. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Edit: Post removed and apolgies for my previous post. I didnt mean it to sound nasty. The point that I was trying to get acros was that a lot of people are slating the costume without actually having seen it in person which I think is just wrong. The 501st do sterling work but some of the members get too defensive from time to time. Costuming is about having fun and if the Rubies one fits your budget then get it. :)

22. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Is that the way the helmet looks? It seems like it sits too low on the face, covers too much of the eyes.

The chest armor looks good to me, what's the problem with it? And the box looks like it works as well. The cape I would personally change.

23. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    KevVader - Damn man, that's a lot more than I expected you to post. I bet your suits look badass man, but I just cannot see myself paying $800 + for a helmet, more power to ya brother!

Darth_Larsen - "if you dont care what the 501st thinks then why are you tring to get us to take in this costume?"

I'm not trying to get you to take in anything. All I did was point out the hypocrasy in the 501st based on the three or four Vader suits I found on there. I was looking at your webpage and found another photo that to me, isn't something I think you guys would allow at an event. There's a photo you have of a Vader walkin in the street. Looks like the suit it two sizes too big for him.

But hey, if you're forcing some of those crappy suits to upgrade kudos. I still would take them off the site, but that's me.

TC517 - Thanks man, I'll hit a costume store and see what they have. If anything I can save it an 20 years down the road sell it for my kids' college fund!

It seems to me that if anyone wanted to join a group that a trooper (OT or PT) is the way to go. At least you'll get to the events and it doesn't seem to be as expensive/picky as the Vader ones.

24. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Kev, the pic you posted. Kinda small, but the gloves don't look like the photo I have right here so...

Also, I can't tell exaclty, but the left belt box (right on the photo) should have green buttons. They look blue in the picture.

25. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    Obi-Good......I wonder if you'd be saying that if you knew the maker....hmmmm

....either way, whatever..."stoop to my level" and take your best shot....not my suit anyway, just trying to prove that there are prop quality costumes out there....perhaps you will "enlighten" us one day with your seemingly infinite knowledge...

SSIntimidator....the armor looks Ok from a distance, but up close you will notice that it is cast quite thin....yeah, the photo is a tad small....the limitations of Yahoo pic hosting...I'll try and post a bigger pic......BTW, not my costume!!

****BTW....click on the small photo when you first get to the link, it will load a larger one****