main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader Supreme Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LukeSkiewalker, May 14, 2005.

1. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    If you can post a bigger pic cool, if not no biggie. But I am curious about that belt. Like I said, it looks blue to me.

I was looking around on google and found a couple sites. Is this any good for the suit? http://momentin.com/david/darthec/bodysuit.htm

And what's up with this Vader Painter guy. Does he sell or just paint your stuff to make it look better?

2. KevVader

KevVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    The belt lights are green....could be the angle and/or flash distorting the colour....he is in a glass case as well so the glass may have distorted the colour.
    Vaderpainter will repaint your helmet/armor or sell you new stuff. He's a big Vader fan who attends a lot of the 501st and SW related events as Vader. Saw his Vader once at a ComicCon when I was in San Diego (i think).....pretty impressive set up....and he uses a DP CA! ....little short for Vader tho ;)!

3. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    First of all. The Rubies deluxe does not look like ROTS.

Here is a picture of a fan-made ROTS costume. THIS LOOKS like ROTS:
    [image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/mayjune05/wpkrotsv7.jpg]
    (yes it IS a fan made: check out starwarshelmets.com for the story)

Now compare it to Rubies:
    [image=http://img44.echo.cx/img44/5397/5930iu.jpg]

And now to the original movie used version:
    [image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/marapril05/Vaderrots2.jpg]

The fan made looks just awesome. Rubies... well... see it yourself.

I am not a member of the 501st and I do not plan to join in the near future, but I know what people want to see. Believe me fans will see the difference.

But there is hope for all Rubies buyers:

A guy at starwarshelmets.com has modified his Rubies helmet and it looks much better:

[image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/mayjune05/JoeSRbiesSup01.jpg]

[image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/mayjune05/JoeSrubsup03.jpg]

Yes, it is a Rubies helmet.
    But then again it looks nothing like ROTS, but more like TESB and ROTJ.

4. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Rogan, The photo you used of the Rubie is one of the worst ones out there.

Here is a Supreme suit all set up: http://img44.echo.cx/my.php?image=5930iu.jpg

http://img147.echo.cx/my.php?image=3a33uo.jpg

Other than the armor being to thin apparently, what about that suit is so godawful that people hate it.

5. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    ....wow, that chestbox looks tiny in the 2nd photo.....but I don't hate it....I think with work it would look quite good...

6. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Oh, thanks. I could not find a better one. With your permission I will reedit the one above.

I do not hate it, but IMO as a fan you want to have something which really looks like it was taken from the movies. That's what costuming is all about.

Fact is that the Rubies does not look like it was from the movies. It looks like Vader, agreed. But does it look like the Vader we have seen in the films?
    No.

Don't get me wrong. If I was doing a fan film I would buy this suite to do all the combat scenes with it, but I would never use it for closeups.

But as some of the pictures have shown you. You can modify it to make it look much better. But then again it will take you work and extra money to do so. You will have to replace lenses, tusks and the nose, and give it a repaint (best is two color-scheme).

Well anyway.

It is sold for $ 700 USD on ebay, so buy it. It is a good start but really needs lot of work (and money) to look really good.

7. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    "....wow, that chestbox looks tiny in the 2nd photo.....but I don't hate it....I think with work it would look quite good..."

It does now that you mention it.

8. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    "Oh, thanks. I could not find a better one. With your permission I will reedit the one above.

I do not hate it, but IMO as a fan you want to have something which really looks like it was taken from the movies. That's what costuming is all about.

Fact is that the Rubies does not look like it was from the movies. It looks like Vader, agreed. But does it look like the Vader we have seen in the films?
    No.

Don't get me wrong. If I was doing a fan film I would buy this suite to do all the combat scenes with it, but I would never use it for closeups.

But as some of the pictures have shown you. You can modify it to make it look much better. But then again it will take you work and extra money to do so. You will have to replace lenses, tusks and the nose, and give it a repaint (best is two color-scheme).

Well anyway.

It is sold for $ 700 USD on ebay, so buy it. It is a good start but really needs lot of work (and money) to look really good."

Those photos I found on rpf.com

I was really contemplating purchasing this suit, it got some good reviews over there, but now ya'll have me second guessing it :)

Honestly I just want a good suit. One to wear somewhere, but not one that I'd be so anal about that I wouldn't wear it to a party or something. I'm not a big fan of the helmet at all, I think the voice changer helm looks much better.

But if I could purchase the cape and suit I think I would just purchase that. Get the armor and box and helm somewhere else. I dunno, again money is an issue here so I'm not sure if this is even something I should continue to persue. I'd like to keep my suit under $800.

9. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that the Hasbro voice changer helmet looks better than this one!

10. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    "One point thaty hasn't been addressed by the 501st, are you selling as much now the Rubies are selling theirs?

Ooh those grapes are a bit tart!!"

I love to defend the 501st when people call us greedy... :mad:

I can't say this any more... the 501st in no way, shape, or form sells costumes. The 501st does not sell trooper armor, guns, or VADERS!!!!!! Ever!!!! There are some members who make pieces to sell, but they are a few (like as many as Yoda can count on one hand) members of over 3000!

Think about this next time anyone wants to say the 501st is making money... Lucasfilm does not allow it! When Fallano (not a member) started to make money on his armor, they shut him down! Lucasfilm is in full contact with the leaders of the 501st and know who is doing what. If at any point it becomes too profitable, it is given a cease and desist order. How can we loose money on something we don't sell??? [face_thinking]

If anything, the 501st likes that Rubies is getting close to making good stuff (even if they aren't quite there). Maybe in a few years, costumes will be not only movie quality, but available to anyone who wants to join! :)

11. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    No. Compared to the Hasbro Voice Changer, the Rubies Deluxe is art!

The suite seems okay, and like the photos above show, you can modify the helmet make it look really cool (the nose section was not replaced in those pics).

I will get one eventually and see what I can do out of it. As a stunt suite, it seems quite good (with some repainting of the helmet and the armour).

12. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Agreed. As a stunt suit, it is flexible, light, and can be much easier to replace. If you take a saber blade to the head in a fan made helmet, you might have to wait weeks until the maker can make a new one. :)

13. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    I have enjoyed reading the posts by Vader experts, costume guru's, hardcore fans and the like in this thread. I've also learned quite a bit. I am going to be getting a Darth Vader Supreme costume for use at Halloween. Im too tall for Darth Maul and my Boba Fett costume has seen better days ahahha. I'll prolly wear it to kids birthday parties and such, as well. I want to have fun with it, just not on the level of the Huge SW events.

..But now I want to challenge everyone here to have a bit of fun.

I would like everyone to guess how much my Darth Vader costume from 1995 cost me and see if anyone can guess what materials I used to construct the costume. Here are a couple of 10 year old pics hahah(pre-digicam era pics stink!)
    [image=http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL68/916517/2519298/99566986.jpg]
    [image=http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL68/916517/2519298/99567001.jpg]

You can say how much the suit reeks if you like, it no longer exists but in pieces and I was 19 when I made it.

So...
    -Guess how much it cost me to make/have made
    -Guess the materials used to construct the suit

...okay....GO!

14. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    those 3 pics really show what we where talking about..

as for the pics on my site.
    i have thought about removing them.. but since they are members pics i have left them. cuz in truth it is the detachment site. i just keep it running it.

it startest getting personal that way. im not to shirt who the one member is, but i know the silver one is on the boards and is working on his suit.

thing is until my site there really wasnt much of a place to ask "stupid" questions. and just get help. now people fell alittle easier asking for help cuz they will get it. the RPF is great but not really a helping hand. Got some regreat research but not to many tips and helps.

15. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Hard to guess. Depends on which helmet this is. Looks like a Don Post, but I am not certain which one.

It looks decent. I would guess some $ 200 or $ 300 USD.

16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Is that the shine of black duct tape I see on the codpiece? Or just cardboard painted black?

17. Bandit-Jedi

Dec 4, 2001
    Hard to guess. Depends on which helmet this is. Looks like an Don Post to be, but I am not certain which one.

It looks decent. I would guess some $ 200 or $ 300 USD.

Don Post is correct for the helmet. $60 at DisneyWorld SW shop (endor vendors)

18. Bandit-Jedi

Dec 4, 2001
    Is that the shine of black duct tape I see on the codpiece? Or just cardboard painted black?

Close, very close indeed. Did not use Black Duct tape, although it was tape. actually, clear packing tape(which I found later doesn't really let paint adhere very well, haha) and yes, a definite on the cardboard usage for the codpiece. cost of tape $3, cost of black spray paint $7

19. Bandit-Jedi

Dec 4, 2001
    btw, I just ordered the costume for $625,not bad considering what some places are asking for it. now I just have to wait.

20. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    So if I was to buy this Supreme suit how much would you say I'm looking to put into this to make it a better suit?

I'd already look at getting a new helmet, I'm not too impressed with this one and I read on rpf that you can add some layers to the body armor to make it stiffer, repaint it and it's good to go.

Does anyone know how good the suit material itself is?

21. KevVader

Feb 26, 2005
    ....the helmet is not too bad, there a few guys who have made it look pretty good...check the RPF for pix..the suit material looks to be a thin smooth pleather type material....

22. CYGA

CYGA Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    I ordered one but it hasn't arrive yet. I read that the pleather suit is not that bad. The only things that I have read that need to be upgrade are the belt buckle, and the chest rods. The armor needs to be add some layers with fiberglass, the outer cape needs lining, and the helmet needs some repaint and maybe
    change the lens. Also, you need to get a pair of nice boots.

If you want to be Vader with a budget of 800 dlls, try to get this suit for 500-650 dlls, buy a pair of boots, and maybe change the buckle and chest rods.

23. SSIntimidator

Jul 24, 2003
    Thanks CY.

I just don't like the look of this helmet at all for some reason. I can't remember ROTS totally, but the center of the helmet seems like it needs to be more pronounced, like the fanmade photo posted above.

I found some decent looking boots, I'll post those tomorrow. I'd like a bigger box now that it was pointed out how small it looks. But overall I think the suit itself looked nice, the cape etc.

24. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I guess my eyes are untrained because I can't tell a difference...

25. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    Bandit-Jedi: You're never too tall to be Maul! I'm 6'2 and do Maul. I once talked to a fan who was asking about my costume and told him "Yeah I'm a little tall." And he looked at me and said "Nah!, Bad guys should be big! It makes tehm more intimidating!"