main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader's Attempt to bring Skywalker to the Darkside, How would you have done it? part I

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthSithLord, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    For all of us fans out there that Love the "Empire Strikes Back"

Would you have Exploded the secret?

"No, I am your Father!" - DV, ESB

or how would you have tempted Luke?

The Same way?
    or what? please list your opinion.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Hey, cool idea! :)

If I was Vader, I would have told Luke before the fight even started. Luke would have been cornered. There was no way out.

3. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Hmm... Interesting thread. :D

I would have showed him the power of the dark side. I would have "disarmed" him (heh heh), much like Vader did, and then I would have showed him all the "good" that the dark side could be used for.

Basically, I'd go with a mix of Vader's conversion methods and Palpatine's. Sheer overpowering and very sneeky deceit.

4. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
    If I were Vader, I would have disarmed him early, and prevent him from escaping.... then start to tempt him towards the Dark Side.

5. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
  6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I definitely wouldn't have hit him with the big 'I am your father' line like that. More time spent getting to the kid, in a similar scheming way that Palpatine would use, before telling him that.

7. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    I would have tortured and killed his friends in front of him

8. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Well, Vader did try that. ;) Luke's friends just happened to escape.

9. jedi_quinn

jedi_quinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I would have bitch-slapped his arse to the ground, chopped off most his limbs and forced him to live his life as a half-man, half-robot. Hey, it worked for Vader.

Or he could have enraged Luke by telling him his mum was a whore and put out after knowing his father for like a day.

Come to think of it, Vader was crap!

10. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Vader was at a serious disavantage because Luke already hated him. I'm not sure Vader could've done anything different. Remember, Luke went on the offensive first. Vader didn't have a lot of time to use psychology on Luke. So, Vader just toyed with him in an attempt to show his power. When that didn't work, Vader used a lot more aggression and beat down Luke. It was now or never at that point when Luke was on the ledge. That's another reason Palpatine told Vader that they would both have work together to turn Luke. Luke survived the temptation from Vader. It would now take a combined effort of power and persuasion to get Luke to turn.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Everything about Vader is perfect just the way it is. :mad:

Seriously - I think Vader did do things perfectly. Like Salty said, Luke already hated Vader, so he wouldn't have gained anything by torturing Luke more or killing Han and Leia. Springing the revelation on Luke as soon as possible worked to Vader's advantage. He waited until Luke was physically broken, then broke him psychologically as well.

The only thing Vader could have done better was trap Luke in a small room or something instead of on a gantry he could jump off of. ;)

12. mali_rhome

mali_rhome Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2003
    I think Vader did good on the father thing.
    The only thing i woud've done differently
    is i would've cornered him first in stead of a little platform with a big hole he could jumpo into.

13. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    Let's not forget that Vader didn't have the knowledge we have. ;)

He never thought Luke would jump.

Seriously, would you have? I think I'd overlook something like that, myself. Course naturally I would have cornered him in a small room where there was NOWHERE to go... Where he was closed in on ALL sides. But I still wouldn't have considered the actual jump.

14. Arwen_Solo

Arwen_Solo Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    I would have told him that Obi-Wan was the reason why his father was dead. That would have turned Luke against both Yoda and Obi-Wan, and left Luke wide open. If Luke believed that Obi-Wan had killed his father in some way, Luke would have never trusted Obi-Wan or Yoda again.

15. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I would have done this.

'No Luke, I am your brother!'

'No...No...Thats impossible!'

'Search your feelings you know it to be true.'

:D

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    If Vader had told Luke Obi-Wan was the one who killed Anakin, he might have succeeded in turning Luke against the Jedi, but he wouldn't have been any closer to gaining Luke's trust. Vader needed to exploit the connection between Luke and himself.

17. Dyesce

Dyesce Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    It was very smart of Vader to shock Luke with that news. It made Luke very unstable at that moment, but he had the proof in his feelings.
    And Vader almost succeeded with "we shall rule as father and son" only Palpatine ruinded it when he teased Luke to let his feelings go, and so reminded him that that was exactly what he wanted. Had he shut up, Luke would surely have joined his Daddy. And I further think they together could have succeeded Palpatine. Well, they did acutally kill him together, but Ani wasn't in any mood or shape to take the vacant position anymore... what a pity... :(

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would have shown him a picture of his mother. :p

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
    up!

I know theres nothing wrong with the way Vader did his attempted temption of Skywalker, Luke Skywalker.

UP!,UP!,UP!!!!!

20. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
  21. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
  22. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
    UP!

DLM Edit: There's no need for multiple ups per day.

23. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    The benevolent and wise moderater Mara is right too many UP!'s make me throw UP!, and sometimes I suck up... :D

Seriously all corny and dumb jokes aside that's a big fat loaf of SPAM - and to think your a older member than me. :)

Tsk tsk.

Vader should have tryed to appeal to Luke by pretending to join him then warp his mind from the "Goodside". It would've worked.

<[-]> Saber

24. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
    I think that is pretty good, but I also like having too many ups is a bad thing too, even though I caused them.

25. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I feel Darth Vader went about it the right way. Beat Luke down a bit then simply tell him. Get him to feel powerless against the dark side and then tell him what Ben Kenobi tap danced around. Had he told Luke in the begining of their contest on Cloud City, Luke wouldn't have bought it. Only when Vader has beaten him down to a bloody pulp, filled him with fear, would Luke go for it. If done this way, Luke would have felt more acceptable to the dark side of the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.