"Darth Vader's Death"

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Raskolnikov, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Raskolnikov Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Most. Weepy. Cue. Ever.

Combine John William's use of the harp reiterating Darth Vader's Theme and the imagery of Vader dying and reconciling with Luke and you have one powerful scene.

Who else get's a little teary-eyed when they hear this cue?
  2. Dani1138 Jedi Master

star 3
    It definitely shows how well Williams is able to deploy his themes for seemingly any purpose imaginable. It's hard to believe that the Imperial March could be used in such a way, but he did it.
  3. Binkley71 Jedi Master

star 1
    Will John Williams be re-scoring this scene? He doesn't have to do a tremendous amount... but I'd love to hear a bar or two of "Anakin's Theme" played subtlely when the mask finally comes off. The rest can be preserved.
  4. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No.

No no no no no.

DON'T rescore this scene. Why on earth would you want to rescore such a brilliant scene?
  5. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master

star 5
    I agree, I don't want JW to change a thing in that scene (or any scene in the OT for that matter).

Interesting thing I just learned: Thomas Newman actually orchestrated that particular scene's music.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I am fine with leaving this arrangement. It is a wonderful cue. I'd love for it to be re-recorded as is for better sound quality. The version we have is awfully noisy and lacking in any detail or depth. No treble either.
  7. Drac39 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Leave it all the way it is
  8. BaronFel88 Jedi Knight

star 7
    I'm listening to it right now and I have to say it's one of the best pieces of RotJ. Everything is done extremely well.
    And it's just something in my eye, that's all.
  9. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    You know, we have a [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9955564&replies=79]great thread[/link] about recoring the OT...

Anyhow, I don't think this scene (or really any in ROTJ) need to be rescored. I think Williams was pretty set with all the OT themes there.

(ESB - probably only add the Emperor's theme... and Ian ... to the hologram scene. ANH... well, you'll have to read the other thread. :))

So, no rescoring of ROTJ. But strilo is right, a re-recording would be most welcome. Though this scene isn't as bad as others. I was just listening to one of my favorite ROTJ cues, "The Emperor Arrives", and wow, the poor sonic quality is quite noticeable there. :(
  10. rodan70 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I love the music that they play when Luke and Darth Vader first show up in The Emperor's Throne Room.
Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.