main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST darth vaders motive

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by notsoren, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notsoren

notsoren Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015
    ok but what was darth vaders motive for building the death star beyond having a weapon of mass destruction because me and my friend literally cannot tell

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I don't think there WAS a motive beyond that. This also should go in the Classic Trilogy forums.

3. notsoren

notsoren Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015
    sorry idk how any of the filing works on this website

and so. basically what youre telling me is darth vader essentially had no idea what he was doing

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It was the Empire's idea of keeping all the solar systems in line. If they didn't, then, well, I'm sure you can figure it out.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    [face_sigh]

B99 likes this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    It wasn't Vader's motive or decision.

7. notsoren

notsoren Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015

then that means darth vader had no real motivation outside of just. the empire needs this thing get on that my man

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    The death star was originally going to be a space disco, or so dance lover Darth Vader thought. But the Emperor decided to scupper this by changing it to a super weapon at the last moment.

10. wasoha

wasoha Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2015

Prior to the Death Star, the Emporer maintained control of the galaxy through the bureaucratic government. This required a lot of work and attention.

He said "screw this" and built the Death Star, and then dissolved the government. Now nobody would question him because he could just blow up their entire planet if they did.

This is all stated very clearly in A New Hope.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It was nothing to do with Vader. And the motive is explained pretty well in ANH, I think.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  12. notsoren

notsoren Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015

that sounds more like the emperors motivation than it is vaders though??? so i????

13. wasoha

wasoha Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2015

You asked for the motivations for building the death star. Those are the motives.

If you're wondering what Vader's part in all this was: He helped the Emperor create and enforce the Empire in the first place. To put it in oversimplified terms, if the Emperor was the President, Vader was the Vice President. They have the same goals, and when you really get down to it, the Emperor is the boss.

Vader's goal was the same as his boss. To maintain control of the galaxy.

Yes this is important to note as well. Vader didnt think highly of it, he was just supporting his master.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Vader didn't care about the Death Star, beyond keeping it in one piece on his master's orders. He outright derided the Death Star more than once, but in A New Hope and in the current comic, after it's been blown up. Vader's presence was more along the lines of serving his master's will, rather than fulfilling any personal ulterior motive. He was pretty outspoken that he thought it was a waste of time, he felt a further reliance should be placed upon utilizing the power of the Force.

15. notsoren

notsoren Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2015

nah man i straight up asked what was vaders motivations for building the death star

tbh its kind of my bad for focusing on just the death star because when it comes down to it i just. i literally just wanna know why he did any of this at all i.e. following the emperor, devoting himself entirely to his agenda alone, just going along with a dude saying "governments are hard and itd be easier to just have a weapon of mass destruction on hand instead of dealing with that messy politics business"

16. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    this discussion

[​IMG]

17. wasoha

wasoha Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2015

Okay one by one.

Why did Vader follow the Emperor?
    The Emperor promised galactic peace through absolute control with Vader at his side, second in command. Vader wanted the peace and he craved the power. He thought he would have a more active leadership role when he first joined the Emperor, but he was manipulated just like everyone else was. Clearly this came back and bit the Emperor in the ass during Return of the Jedi.

Why did Vader devote himself to the Emperors agenda?
    Vader agreed with the ideology that peace could only be created by taking away the peoples choice and keeping them under their control. He thought the people were stupid and that a capable leader could make better decisions for them in the long run. To put it simply, Vaders a communist, man.

Why just go along with the Death Star?
    Well, clearly it works. Vader wasn't as impressed with the Death Star as everyone else was, but it's still a means to advance their rule and it's what his boss told him to do.

18. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    can't tell if trolling but I'll bite anyway,

I'm pretty sure throughout A New Hope Vader make numerous references to being sceptical about the Death Star, it was never his plan, he's just there to enforce the Emperors rule and track down the plans.

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    It was the Emperors plan before Vader.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Ridiculous. Down you go.

[​IMG]

Darth Lurker, EHT and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.