main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader's New Look (Rebels)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Saxman, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The look of Rebels IS pretty consistent with the only remaining animated canon material... TCW. Not identical but very similar, enough that you'd know the creative team are made up of mostly the same crew. I don't think it would be possible to come up with a style equally faithful to both TCW and the live action films as they are pretty different. Now trying to split the difference right down the middle is an option but you'd end up with something that doesn't look much like either, choosing one or the other is going to have fans and detractors... and eventually TCW's style was the one they wanted to emulate.

It is totally consistent with canon... just not with the films. A small but significant difference.

Iron_lord and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    ^ That. Partially the last two major points. Well said, Trebor. :)

Stylistic choice affects presentation of a work and consequently perception of a viewer. When something 'feels wrong' it is indeed precious difficult to reconcile it some times with 'ah well, it is what it is.'

People continually harping at others that take issue with details they don't and being snide and condescending of tone aren't helping anything. We are here to express but respect and patience and listening help an awful lot especially when coming from different angles.

In spite of how many act, it is not 'wrong' to express discontent or the reasons stemming from it. Nor is disagreement bad. The jeering and dismissiveness is not only rude but it doesn't further the exchange at all.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Eh, I think that's taking it a bit far, yeah? :)

I was only saying that I can at least understand the appeal of a canon with more visual continuity. That it can help to "sell the myth."

But if that was what Lucasfilm really, really wanted, they'd just have stayed with live action film and television projects, and not branched-out into animation thirty years ago.

Pfluegermeister and jakobitis89 like this.
  4. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Jedi Knight Fett

Exactly right. When the best possible outcome is, in fact a ridiculous and unreasonable outcome, such as doing nothing, an alternative must be sought.

Rebels is one such alternative. The best solution for "canon" is to design Vader in a manner that meshes well with the art and style of the series as a whole, an in a manner that the fans enjoy.

By that standard, I think they're doing the best for canon.

5. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    There's been plenty of jeering and dismissiveness to go around Cushy... from both sides. For my own part I apologise but I don't think anyone can really come out of this one smelling of roses.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also something i was thinking of has there been any shows that have changed there art style while it was still running?

7. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't know about changing the style, but TCW did a fantastic job of upping the ante from season-to-season.

When it began, things were really, well... my mother always said, "If you can't say something nice..."

But by Seasons five and six? Gorgeous.

Given the opportunity, I fully expect Rebels to act in-kind.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I agree with this TCW had horrible animation first season

But my point still stands that even if most fans hated the art style it would probably not change.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, Brother.

I'm thinking specifically of a scene where Grevious (I think it was he) strafes the bridge of a Jedi Cruiser in an early episode. Thing looked like an unfinished animatic.

11. Darth Saxman

Darth Saxman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I hope so ---- the general look of Season 2 from the trailer does seem at least a little upgraded. Beyond the Vader brow controversy, we are hopefully in for some improvements. I particularly like Vader's cape toss and the cinematography and animation of the stormtroopers rushing in in the trailer. Makes me feel a little less annoyed at perma-scowl Vader. We'll see how Season 2 goes

12. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Trebor Sabreon

Indeed. TCW is a really good example of watching the evolution of an animated series.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  13. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    So there's hope all around for Season 2.

Very Good. :)

jakobitis89 likes this.
  14. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    You know in Anchorman, when it just suddenly turned into a giant brawl? This is just, like, the total opposite. Which is actually kind of cool.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

So are you more concerned in the art style or Animation because if you are also concerned in animation don't worry if the clone wars is any indication it will get better.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I think Todd the Jedi stepping in several pages back helped.

And also some people cooled down.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Even though we're 18 pages in at this point, I want to give my opinion.

The guy in Rebels looks enough like Vader for me to buy it. From what we've seen so far I'm liking how he's being handled.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Kev Snowmane likes this.
  19. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012

20. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Not to put a nexxu in among the nerfs, but I picture Matt Lanter when I watch the PT, or at least his voice. Hayden's voice is just too thin and whiney to pull off great anger.

I would like to 1 googleplex percent associate myself with this part of your remarks.

I noted in the S2 trailer they seem to have dialed WAY down on the infamous "Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy" syndrome. The heroes still have full plot armor (that was never going to change), but the bucketheads are making a much more creditable showing of themselves (witness the clip of Ezra and Zeb pinned down behind some cargo crates). It's a nice, subtle way of darkening down the show to emphasize just how deep the crap the Ghost crew has gotten themselves into is.

21. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    Agree --- if Season 2 ends up being much more like that, then that will go a long towards quenching some of the concerns on here and make the show even more enjoyable to watch. I'd really like to be a little worried for the crew ---- I don't think they all have to die before the OT era for it to remain consistent with canon, but I at least want to be worried that SOME of them are at risk.

The end of the Season 2 trailer was pretty intense ---- harkened back to the rear-kicking Vader that we saw in the bowels of Bespin. He was so intense that it forgot how annoyed I was with his perma-scowl ;)

22. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    If someone on the Ghost crew ganks it, I'd put even money on it being either Zeb or Sabine. Seriously doubt they'd do in the audience POV character (Ezra) or the main supporting characters (Hera and Kanan).

Though it would be hell-a poigniant if Vader did off Kanan later in the show with his last word to Ezra being the same Master Bilaba said to him: "Run!" Might make a nice S2 cliffhanger...

23. Darth Saxman

Nov 6, 2012
    Gotta go with Kanan as the prime target --- the Master Jedi (even though Kanan isn't a true master, he's Ezra's de facto master) always seems to bite the dust at the hands of a Sith ; the young Jedi then takes that as extra fuel to get better and pave his own way. Question will be whether Ezra is able to handle that responsibility --- I think he may be at risk of swaying towards dark side tendencies if his new master bites the dust. Would be wild to see him stealthily set up to be the Sith guy that is shown in TFA teaser trailers

24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If Sabine is indeed related to Rook Kast, then Sabine aint going anywhere cept to Death Watch.

25. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Hmmmm...hadn't considered that. And Disney is going with a tightly-unified timeline...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.