main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Vader's New Look (Rebels)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Saxman, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Dunno, it later switched to black tint later on so not sure which is better especially in dark movie sets. Stunt helmets were also employed which had transparent cheek bones. In-inverse the vision ports could serve as digital head-up display utility for practical and tactical function however, different imagining settings much like Stormtrooper helmets. ROTS helmet gives a glimpse into that.

Here to show what I mean:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, the show is for kids. TCW and Rebels express some of the same themes and ideas as the rest of the EU. They just make it more accessible to a wider audience. It's like how Christopher Nolan is criticized for making things more blatant for the mass public. He lives in an age in which most people don't read literature anymore as they did in the past, and so he has to sometimes be more dramatic or louder in presentation to get the audience's attention. I'm not saying the creators of Rebels and TCW are as skilled or good in art as Nolan. Far from it. Nolan is a genius. But sometimes you have to spell things out a bit for certain audiences more than you would for others.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Like this?

"I am so angry." - Ezra Bridger

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Similar probably. In the current generation of "140 char or less" I'm not sure why this is such a surprise.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I live and breathe "show don't tell", it's almost in my DNA, so stuff like that bothers me.

fett 4 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    People shouldn't need to state the obvious so obviously it's completely boring and some may even find it insulting.

Darthmaul208 and fett 4 like this.
  7. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, I understand that. The problem though is that in this animation style sometimes concentration and anger can come across very similarly so without the help of (good) voice acting it can be difficult to tell. Not that it excuses the complete pandering of the idea. ;)

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I thought that the voice acting and the animation already conveyed pretty clearly the anger of the character in that scene. So I really don't understand that artistic choice and there are other examples like that. Why don't they trust their pretty good voice actors more?

9. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Variation in the writer capabilities is probably some of the answer, as well as Filoni's faith in accurately getting the point across to all audiences.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Humans learn how to read an angry face as an infant, so who exactly is he worried would not understand a combination of angry voice and face?

11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I'll quote myself....
    I'm saying that voice acting helps, not that it is required, to clarify the character's emotional state. Also this thread is predicated on the style of the animation. Discussing how a person perceives another person's emotional state is different from how an animated character is perceived IMO. At any rate, I am agreeing with you to a degree. Are you actively looking for something to get upset over today?

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    But we can still state the obvious subtly, right? :p

jabberwalkie and jakobitis89 like this.
  13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well... obviously. (Ithankyouverymuch.)

jabberwalkie likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The point of obviousness is to be OBVIOUS.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That is a good point.
    [​IMG]

17. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The bad guys wear black and have red lightsabers. Didn't the good ship Obvious set sail one hell of a long time ago?

18. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Ha, Futurama, always a classic. ;)

No, I am not upset. Just saying that having your characters state their emotions out loud is not even necessary in a kid cartoon. It certainly didn't happen that much in the shows I was watching as a young kid and I still had no problems following them.

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008

IDK about y'all, but there's a few shots in that video where there the helmet looks really emotive, and there's not much hint of a scowl. [face_whistling]

21. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    No, Todd...just...no...

For the love of the Maker, let it lie...

jakobitis89 and jabberwalkie like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
  23. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Todd the Jedi

I'm the instigator. You're supposed to be the respectable one around these parts. [face_cowboy]

That expression Ahsoka has in that preview shot of the "The Padawan Lives" video, is anyone reminded of that neutral, confession-expectant stare your mother gave you when you were in trouble?

Not that I got that look often.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I still only see angry-face Vader aside maybe from the shot that shows him completely from the side. But that one shot in which parts of the helmet are concealed is not going to convince me that this is a good design.

25. Darth Amr

Darth Amr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    As long as they portray him right idc about his look

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.