main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Vader's Nooooooo

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by williamjj666, Jan 5, 2018.

1. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    IMO that would be like making Vader a total bitch of emperor's. And if he was just insistent on dying only thing he needs to do is continue attacking sidious and emperor will be forced to kill him

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. williamjj666

Jan 8, 2016
    I don't think casual crowd would laugh at that scene. It would be only fans , because the image of Darth Vader of OT is in our minds.
    A couple of people i know who only saw ROTS in the star wars series were pretty immersed in the movie by end and were not laughing in any way. Only thing asked was "it's a pretty dark movie. Does Anakin get to know in other movies that he didn't kill his wife?"

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    He was a total bitch of the Emperor. He must obey him.

Breaking Anakin back into slave mode has already been put into a manual. Vader attacks, Emperor instantaneously puts Vader into the pain of death, but never allowed to die. At some point, Vader would realize it is futile to resist.

crapiola likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That iconic scream by Luke was a big reason for that kind of thing becoming cliche & the subject of parody. It's all about timing. In the 25 years since, such a long drawn-out melodramatic "Noo!" had become a joke. Such as that one example I posted:

All of those kinds of gags & skits ruined the big dramatic "No!". Maybe Lucas wasn't aware of that. Anyway, fact is the Vader "No" was made a joke of. The memes are still everywhere. I recall some of the initial reviews of RotS criticising it, including many of the positive ones. So there's no arguing about it. It's gone down as a well known case of unintentional humour. Off the top of my head, it may even be the most well know example [face_thinking]

11-4D likes this.
  5. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    I thought it was a nice showing of Anakin's entire world crashing down on him and realising that it was all for nothing.

6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    TESB and especially ROTJ revealed that Vader's badass was a thin facade, behind the mask he was a shattered man in every sense. However, wounded animals tend to be the most dangerous. In TESB, showing the back of Vader's real head being bald and scared was the first chink in the armor, of course RITJ went even deeper showing how he was a very sickly man who appeared older than he was due to his poor health and butchered body. Vader is both badass and pathetic at the same time, such as killing prisoners who had surrendered to him or killing underlings in fits of rage, behaving more childish than Anakin in AOTC. Its pretty common for badass characters in fiction, and to an extent in real life for people to behave badass to compensate for personal inadequacies, which Vader very much did. So viewing Vader solely as a stone cold badass is fallacious, he is more of a wounded animal lashing out at the cruel world that took everything from him but his anger.

Probably the best example would be Nimrod, the great grandson of Noah and a mighty hunter before the Lord. However, because Bugs Bunny calls Elmer Fudd "Nimrod" as a sarcastic remark, general viewers have come to misinterpret Nimrod as meaning dim-witted and stupid and missing the real point of the joke. I doubt Chuck Jones intended for it to happen but sometimes public perceptions are beyond the creator's control.

7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    All true. Nevertheless, the visceral reaction to a scene needs to be taken into account. That depends on many factors. The scene making perfect sense on the page shouldn't be the only consideration.

8. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Off-Topic: To be fair, that’s because in the book, Dumbledore was calm and understanding. He knew Harry was already terrified about this whole thing, so he was acting more of a fatherly figure, going, “Now, Harry, you’ve any idea how this happened? Let’s discuss this cordially.” In the movie, however, he’s more violent, throwing Harry into a wall and howling in his face. It’s a complete character derailment. That’d be like having Han suddenly slap Leia over the face in The Force Awakens when we’ve seen no prior indication that he’d do something like that. When you’re adapting from another source, one of the things you have to do is get the characters’ basic personalities right. Dumbledore isn’t a guy that randomly loses his temper on children and physically shake them. That’s something Vernon Dursley would’ve done.

On-Topic: Maybe instead of “noooo”, it’s a raw, primal scream? I mean, if you look at it realistically, it’s what I would’ve done. I wouldn’t have had the clarity to scream “NO”. It’d just be one loud roar of anguish and despair.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I would have been more surprised if he didn't say anything after all that happened. His wife, on the the main reasons for why he chose to side with Sidious because of his visions, just died meaning his quest to stop people he loves from death was meaningless in the end, his defeat on Mustafar left him in ruins (literally), the Jedi order is gone, All of his former friends/family either turned against him or are dead or so he thinks and Sidious is the only person he has left. As for why he said "NO", he could have said anything, really, but SW established how characters react when they see another character being stabbed or hearing a revelation they didn't like, they scream "NO".

Shaak Ti, crapiola and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Just realized:
    Darth Vader really let himself go in between the few years between Rogue One and RotJ.

When Vader becomes conflicted, does he soothe himself with Hagen Dazs and Netflix binge watching? We now have the answer.

11. williamjj666

Jan 8, 2016
    when i view it in context of the prequel, TESB and especially ROTJ Vader is a broken man who covers up his pain with cruelty

crapiola and Slicer87 like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think answers the question right there.

That is exactly what is going on with Anakin and like Luke this is not the first time he's said it.

It isn't real life though.

It's Star Wars. It's mythic space opera not reality based SF.

So then Luke's is also ruined as is any of them. Kylo Ren's in TLJ induced howls of laughter in you as did Anakin's in ROTS then Vader's in ROTS.

It's up to the person if they want to ruin it for themselves. I don't and I wonder how many people that didn't react that way at all then do so afterwards. Kind of like people who didn't like being fooled when they realized the clones were CGI.

wobbits, crapiola and Slicer87 like this.
  13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It's reality based in some regard, like all films. The characters speak english. Every planet and ship has the same gravity. They fight in wars etc. Just saying "well it's not real life" isn't an excuse for bad writing. We know it's not real life, but film is meant to suspend disbelief and bring you into another "reality," in this case ROTS creates a dark, brooding feeling of despair by Order 66, Padme's death, Yoda's defeat and Anakin's immolation; only to jolt me out of that reality with a Space Balls-esque "nooooo!"

11-4D likes this.
  14. Ray Donahue

Ray Donahue Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2017
    To each his own, but I thought it was a far more ideal and realistic reaction by Dumbledore than how he acted in the book. It didn't see it as him being mean or abusive to Harry, it just showed he was concerned for Harry's safety. I mean just think about all that had happened at Hogwarts up to that point and the fact that Voldemort was growing stronger and plotting to return to his former self, then all of all sudden Harry Potter's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire. If you were in Dumbledore shoes at that moment, how would you react and feel about what just happened? I certainly wouldn't not be all calm about it and act nothing wrong just happened.

That being said, the Goblet of Fire film was a horrible adaption of the book, but Dumbledore getting angry and acting suspicious of Harry after his name came out of the Goblet of Fire has never been one of them and it's one of the few liberties that the Harry Potter films took from the books that I actually liked.

Sorry for the extremely off-topic comment everyone.

15. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally i think the film ended the best way it could have because it ticked all the boxes needed before the transition.

it showed in the fastered way possible Sidious had succeeded in breaking Anakin/Vader which allowed him to continue to look strong

It showed Vader was strong because the way he was destroying everything around him purely from the pain of what he thought he had done

It didn't make either look weak, it set the template well for the 2 of them that we would see in ROTJ.

I know they did that comic version where sidious is thrown against the wall but i don't think that would have worked well in the movie because it feels like it opens up more fued then does conclude.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  16. TheCowboyBuilder

TheCowboyBuilder Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2016
    Someone redubbed that scene with the "Noooo" from Andy Serkis in the 1st of the new trilogy of Planet of the Apes films.

It was much much better .

17. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    I think its a perfect fit. Ive never understood the backlash either. Its a "frankenstein" moment for Anakin. Hes a monster now and walking on robotic legs for the first time. As others have pointed out it a mirror to Lukes "nooo" in Empire. My favorite part is Palpatine's twisted smile.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    If you perceive it as bad writing then you do. I don't.

I perceive it as excellent writing.

So do you feel the same Space Balls for all the other NO's? (and there are many in Star Wars).

The simplest explanation to me is that some people don't want the Vader voice of JEJ to have that level of emotion, frustration and failure.

Becoming Vader in the armor is not a triumph but total failure on all levels.

I see HC's Anakin under the armor in the OT and know it's the same character. I suspect for others they want to separate the two. This act connects them here and in ROTJ (and of course now in R1 as Vader).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    As I just explained, the other NO's are much more real sounding; they don't sound like someone who is sad not someone who is trying to make fun of beingsad.

20. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    My biggest problem with the "Noooooo" moment was that it didn't fit with the up till then known parts of the Anakin/Vader character. For 20 years I had waited to see the impressing and to some extent dignified Vader from the OT came to life and through the 3 prequel movies we could clearly see a build up in the character from a kind and loving boy who wanted to help everybody, through a young man with a strained relationship to his mentor to a more mature man, madly in love with his wife and willing to do literally everything to save her life. And then the transition from the human Anakin to the more inhuman Vader ends with a figure released from a table, staggering forward and just screaming "Nooo" when he realized that Padme was gone.

Would an Anakin in despair truly have reacted that way? Maybe.
    Did it make sense with respect to the plot? Not really.

In one moment we see an Anakin who is (literally) burning with anger and hate, then somewhat later (in ANH) we see the cold, emotionless Vader who "is more machine than man". In my mind almost every other transition would have been more favorable than the "noooooo".

My imaginary favorite ending after seeing ROTS would simply have been Vader rising from the table where he was created, standing up in a somewhat blurred environment leating the thoughts to the moment when he appears for the first time in ROTJ while the imperial march is played in full for the first time. That would have emphasized the end of the transition that had developed through the entire trilogy far more than the "nooooo" ever did.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    But he's not that Vader yet, there's 19 years between RotS and ANH for him to get used not only to the suit but also to be completely committed to the Sith way (still not 100% though since there's still the good inside him even during all these years). In RotS, he's still like Vader: Year One, it's his first steps and considering he was an emotional mess since the moment he had visions of Padme dying, him screaming "NO" in despair at hearing news of her death is perfectly in line with how his character is portrayed in that movie, imo.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I loathe that "nnoooooooo." Again, it's not bad on paper, but the execution is just horrible. I still think the whole scene would be far better if he just silently force crushed the crap out of everything in the room. Way darker and more serious. The tone of ROTS was dark enough by that point that the line was completely out of place. Sure it happens at other places in the Saga, to much better effect in my opinion. This use was bad, didn't work and detracted from a major scene.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Darth Downunder likes this.
  24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    This is easily the least someone who is trying to make fun of being sad possible.

Not sure how it doesn't make sense to the plot. The plot are events that happen. The characters within that plot and what they do is the story.

He isn't that Vader yet. That was later.

This is still the Anakin-Vader before Anakin was completely gone and didn't start to return until he encountered Luke.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So you're frustrated that sometimes things aren't as simple as "this was similar therefore it should elicit exactly the same reaction". Those other examples did not attract mocking unintentional laughs. Vader's in RotS did. They're the facts at hand. Arguing about it is pointless.
    Btw, I don't even know what long melodramatic "NOOoooo!" you're talking about from Kylo in TLJ. & I've seen it 5 times :confused: