main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Darth Vader's Nooooooo

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by williamjj666, Jan 5, 2018.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The "Noooo!" is a realisation of everything that has transpired up until that point. He has nothing else to say except this, because he's full of despair. I don't really mind it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think it highlights the isolation of Anakin. The scene reminds us Anakin is trapped in there. It's not a moment of triumph. We're not suppose to cheer, bring out the heavy metal guitar riffs, and act like this is a "badass" moment.

Here is Anakin/Vader expressing actual anguish but the monotone vocoder gives it such an unnatural sound. It shows Anakin can no longer express pain that we can sympathize with. He's too deep in the darkness/suit for anyone to hear his cry.

3. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    If you cut out the "Nooo" you would have to end the scene where his mask is sealed on, but there are important plot details in that conversation that would be lost.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is a good explanation of it. This is the way I always describe it to others myself. It's not supposed to show "A super awesome Vader moment in all his angry badassery." It's supposed to make us pity him. To remind us that he WAS human, but that's all over now and there's no going back-nothing left for him. Anakin has died, and has now basically become an abomination of charred body mixed with circuits and vocoders. Very sad.

The way to express my impression of his feelings at learning of Padme's death: Despair. Just...despair-and sorrowful regret, and helpless loss...I feel the Nooooo expressed this effectively.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Shaak Ti, Deliveranze and wobbits like this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    As written on the page it's fine. It's the execution & the staging of it that was lacking. It's a moment that shouldn't be comical to anyone. By that measure it failed badly. I recall laughter at screenings of the movie, & many viewers & critics reported the same thing. Lucas would be the first to admit that was the opposite reaction to the one he was aiming for.

6. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Little goofy, but not so bad

7. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes I think the idea is there, it's perhaps the execution. I mean imagine you were in Anakin/Vader's position, that is a moment of utter anguish, anger, sadness, regret, pain.

I think had the "Noooo!" been a deeper one of anguish, with Vader kneeling, his hands to his face/helmet, it might have worked better.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  8. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    It's a great character beat in theory, but it was just super cheesy delivery. It just kind of undercut the tension and emotion that had been building. Again, I don't know how you can really pull it off without coming off as a bit corny.

9. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Mm... it's kind of weird. Like, in a way he's still Anakin, and he would never have reacted like that. The physical motions seem realistic, but the actual "NOOOOOOO!" seemed kind of like, "Whaa?" It's great for quoting, tho :p