main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darth Who? (Was: Jacen Solo: Darth-You-Pick)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Darth Animus!

2. Shirley_Ujest

Shirley_Ujest Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2007
    I've just finished Sacrifice (in fact, it and the previous ones all in the last two weeks) and have just registered here and my head is still spinning from seeing just how much there is here on these forums, how long they've been going on, and how much I've missed all these years, and I'm still confused on exactly where I am index-wise here, and this might have already been answered or debated elsewhere, but it's just too much to pour through when I wanna know now, LOL.

No disrespect or insult intended here at all, MofC, but--

How can you state so definitively that the "caed" pronunciation is "kad"? I read that the preferred pronunciation for the same root for Caedmon is supposedly kad, but it's not so for Caesar or caecum, for examples, and in fact, I can't think of any other term used in medicine (my profession) with the ae diphthong that doesn't have it (currently) pronounced as the long E sound, whether it's after a C or at the end of a word. I found that there is debate on how to pronounce Caesar regarding both the C and the diphthong ae (see, for example, http://en.allexperts.com/q/Latin-2145/Roman-History.htm ).

I have to wonder, why make the winning name (even) worse by having it pronounced "kad(short a)us" to boot?

Not that "Seedus" sounds any better, mind you, but to make it the hard K and short a makes me naturally want to put another d in the word--Kaddus, which, strangely enough, I like better as a spelling than Caedus, and it sounds better to my ears.

Just curious, since you obviously put a lot of work and thought into your name choice, and since it was said that you've a lit background.

3. crazythorn

crazythorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    Audiobooks pronounce it "kay-dus," where "kay" kinda rhymes with "sky" and "dus" is like the "dus" in "dust."

4. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Kai-dus!

That's the name. Don't wear it out.

-The Rebel Gungan

5. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Really, it's KAI(rhyming with "eye")-dus? Ugh. I had gotten used to it, pronouncing it KAY(rhyming with "say")-dus; it had actually kind of grown on me. But "KAI-dus" ... regardless of whether it's a valid pronuniciation (which of course it is, linguistically) ... bleh. I suppose there's a few different pronunications that could be argued for based on linguistic rules and such, but i think i'd rather almost any other pronuniciation. [face_plain]

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Man, really?

The fact that it was pronounced "KAI-dus" was what made me vote for it, since it looks horrible.

Different Darth strokes for different folks I guess.

7. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    Pronounce it however you want. I'm not sure who gave Lucas/DelRey the name because I never got any credit for submitting it.:oops: Since I never got credit for it, the way I pronounced the name I entered would not be canon.

-The Rebel Gungan

8. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Personally, its grown on me. In the end I see little difference between this and having the authors choose it other than the fact this whole cirucs was a bit silly. He's got his name, and i find it rolls off the tongue well enough, and that it fits - especially since seeing it in Inferno; and strangely enough once i saw it in use in the SFD over at EUC.

What do others think? Has the choice of name grown on you? Or do you still think its rubbish?

Oh and I think KAI-dus as well. [face_peace]

9. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    I've always been a fan... :cool: :D :p

-The Rebel Gungan

10. crazythorn

crazythorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    Despite having gone through the audiobook's "kai-dus kai-dus kai-dus," I still pronounce it the other way to myself when I read it in print. Oh well!

11. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    That's funny; what made me like it was thinking it was pronounced "KAY-dus", (again, rhyming with "say") as i also thought it looked horrible. :D It's generally grown on me though; of course now i have to re-adjust to the new/correct pronunication!

Yep. [face_peace] Of course, i still in my head say "ZEE-zor" for Xizor, and half the time i reflexively throw an extra syllable in for Lumiya (making it into "Luminiya", a la Luminara).

12. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004

Sounds like Aluminiyam. [face_laugh]

-The Rebel Gungan

13. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    [face_laugh] Great, now i'm just gonna be calling her "Aluminum" in my head from now on! [face_laugh]
    [face_peace]

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, I wanted Darth Vidious ([face_laugh]), so who am I to judge? ;)

Invidious = discriminatory: containing or implying a slight or showing prejudice; "discriminatory attitudes and practices"; "invidious comparisons"

Invidious = calculated to create ill will, resentment, or envy.

Sure, it sounds a bit like another Sith we know and love, but the classics are classics for a reason :p

Could have been condenced to "Darth Vidus" I suppose....

To be quite honest, I just wanted Darth "V"anything.

15. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Wouldn't a "Darth 'V'" have to be a Barabel or something? [face_beatup]

(kudos to those who actually follow my weak joke! meanwhile, look for Kenneth Johnson's upcoming novel, his official sequel to the original miniseries (i believe it will be ignoring both "The Final Battle" and the short-lived series), releasing at the end of this month! [face_dancing])

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I still don't like Caedus, but that's just because Jacen going Darth remains a silly idea.

17. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Oct 14, 2004
    What do you like, Trip? That is, besides complaining about the current state of Star Wars EU.

-The Rebel Gungan

18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I like, uh, complaining about the past state of the EU, and...

That's about it.

19. Shirley_Ujest

Shirley_Ujest Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2007
    I was simply wondering if this was a Luh-gahl-us vs. Leg-oh-luss (Legolas) issue, or if MofC had, through language studies, found out some "more correct" pronunciation.

Jacen a Dark Lord? THE Dark Lord? Yeah, it hasn't quite been pulled off for me, either, he's more like a permanent Sith Wannabe--Darth Sneakious or something.

And, I keep thinking I'm hearing a radio episode of The Beverly Hillbillies:

Granny: Dag-nabbit, Jed! Where's that boy got to now? They's a chores to be doin!
    Uncle Jed: Now hold your horses, Granny, ol' Seedus 'll be moseying along any time now, ah reckon!

20. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    I'm sick of Latin, period.

--HW

21. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    They should have went with Hebrew or Japanize...

22. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    The overuse of Japanese already drove me away from one board. Please don't start it here...*headdesk*

--HW

23. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    I just saying I think it would have been better to use something non latin that's all like Hebrew, Russian, Or asian in general

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, Ulicus did want a V-name. Darth Vodka?

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [:D]

That would sum up Jacen's attitude towards Force traditions perfectly: he goes well with everything! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.