main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Darthbobs evil star wars pics - update march 15 - HAN wip added

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by darthevilbob, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthevilbob

darthevilbob Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    I haven't drawn in a while, so I thought I'd restart up and start a little thread going where I could show my progress.

Today I am mostly drawing Luke Skywalker.. Han Solo next.

[image=http://homepages.tesco.net/michaelgjones/luke.jpg]

Let me know what you think guys and Gals. No flaming, like I said i havent drawn (not without using a computer anyways) for a while.

[image=http://homepages.tesco.net/michaelgjones/han.jpg]

This one is still work in progress, as it needs more blending and tidying up, funny enough it looks more like han on paper than it does when i've scanned it.

I'm still having trouble getting a likeness to the character im drawing, I jut can't seem to do it, although I think Han looks more like Han than Luke likes Luke in this picture. My two main problems lie in Eyes and Shading, I can never seem to capture the Eye correctly and before I shade the character seems to look more like the character im supposed to be drawing.

2. Immortal-Soul

Immortal-Soul Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2005
    That looks great.
    You're a very talented artist.
    Can't wait to see more of your arts.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to Fan Art, darthevilbob! :D

I have to agree that you are quite a talented artist. Luke really looks great. No doubts there who you are trying to portray. What media did you use? Kinda looks like a digital painting, but I could be wrong.

Can't wait to see Han! :D

4. darthevilbob

Nov 5, 2004
    Just Pencil (graphite on normal paper) I'm afraid.

I did remove the background (which was more grey than white with PS but thats it)

5. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Good stuff if you haven't been drawing for awhile. It's easy to fall out of the pattern, but good to get back into it. I'd really like to see your Han!

6. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is a beautiful drawing of Luke. Great job!

AG88

7. darthevilbob

Nov 5, 2004
    Hello!

Where is the best place to get Hi - Res OT pics? I cant seem to find one of Han or at least not in a decent pose or close up?

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, that would explain the smooth edges and the fading into the background around the neck. Had me fooled there for a moment. :p

As for hi-res images, you may want to try out this site. I find a lot of my reference photos here. :)

9. darthevilbob

Nov 5, 2004
    Cheers for that, will work on Han this week, Although it doesn't take me long to draw these things, its finding the time to do it between nagging wives and annoying kids!

10. darthevilbob

Nov 5, 2004
    WIP Han added, see first post! ;)

11. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hello Darthbob, and allow me to add my welcome to our little community here in Fan Art! And a great big Frank Barone "HOLY C@#P!!" over your beautiful drawings!! =D=
    I love them both, and really really like the way you blend your pencils--very realistic and smooth, with great skintones and contours. How do you do that, and what type of paper are you using? Sorry for all the questions, but I love to learn new techniques for pencil work, and yours are some I'd love to know!

You mentioned you haven't drawn for a long time--your current work certainly doesn't betray that at all. Did you work professionally before, or is this a hobby for you (as it is for so many of us)? I have to respectfully disagree about your likenesses--both of these beautiful pieces were instantly recognizable as the characters they are, so you're definitely hitting the mark. Likenesses are something that all artists struggle with a bit--that's the challenge, I think! And I had to laugh at your comment about the actual paper drawing looking like a better likeness than after you scan it--my own experience, many times over! lol! Truly, though--these are both just lovely, with excellent pencil work, and we'll be looking forward very much to seeing more from you! And as to quieting the children while you draw--try having a "drawing hour," where everyone gets out the paper, pencils, crayons and markers (include the wife--drawing is wonderful for relaxing!). It would give you some time to work, and encourage the same interest in your kids (this works great for my little nieces and nephews--they love to draw!).

Hope to see more soon, and again--welcome to the forum!

FF

12. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Han looks great! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece :)

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Things are looking good so far with the Han drawing! I agree with everything FF has said, but I won't sit here and repeat it all. :p

I understand the problem you have with scanning it in and the likeness coming out a bit strange. It happened to me on more than one occasion. I try to take a picture of the work using a digital camera as well and see which one comes out better.

As for your technique - I love what you did with the wispy strands of hair at his forehead. That really makes it stand out and has nice realistic qualities to it. What kind of shading technique do you use? From looking at the scan, it almost looks like you use your finger or the infamous "kleenex" technique.

Nice job! :)

14. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Can't believe I've missed your thread. :( Sorry.

Nevertheless, they look phantastic. You defintately have talent.
    =D= Can't wait to see more.

15. No_Kokoro

No_Kokoro Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    I like you stuff

16. darthevilbob

Nov 5, 2004
    Sorry Guys haven't been on the boards in a while, my drawing progress is crap, and also i've changed ISP's so my pictures have diskappeared! (will rectify shortly) anywho.

My drawing at the moment, is in perpetual limbo, will get back on the horse soon enough.

thanks for all the kind comments, although i still think my pictures look unlike their real life counterparts.

How do I draw? shading is done with tissue / kithen roll, the paper is just ordinary A3 paper or printer paper (I have bought some bristol ply board paper just recently), the hair is drawn in lots of lines, then blended out a bit, then I go through it with an eraser (sharpened to a point) then add more graphite lines and continue till boredom sets in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.