main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive DarthMaul431's Art Thread **2 NEW PICS 3/18**

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthMaul431, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Wow, loving the menus!

2. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    The menus are very professional looking. I particularly like the middle one, with the chapter selection. I can imagine the three framed images in the top left with the motion from the film very easily...

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Nice menus you have here. Like wicktone said, they're very professional looking. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this in November when the DVD is officially released. :)

4. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    Ellbobin, wicktone, & Solo29 -- Thanks. I loved the style of the real DVD menus (In my opinion they're probably the most unique of any other DVD's out there). I can only hope that the menus in November will look somewhat similar or better than mine!

wicktone -- I agree that the Chapter Selection screen is the best. I was having such a hard time finding a good Mustafar pic with repetitive shapes to fit the screens in. I actually had to copy the balcony picture from the actual video I had of the Theatrical trailer! I think, compared to the other menus sets I made for Utapau and Coruscant, the Mustafar ones came out the best, with Coruscant after that.

Here are the Coruscant Menus (I already made Utapau's menus, but they're not uploaded online yet. Check for them tomorrow):

Coruscant

MAIN MENU
    [image=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6179/a1coruscantmainmenu9xr.jpg]

CHAPTERS MENU
    [image=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1457/a2coruscantchaptersmenu2zf.jpg]

OPTIONS MENU
    [image=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2866/a3coruscantoptionsmenu4uv.jpg]

I know -- the Chapters menu looks really crowded, but I really thought the image was perfect for Chapters, and I forgot to add the chapter list until the end, so that's why it was just stuck on the side. [face_worried]

5. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I've never seen anyone make DVD menu's before. That's such a nifty idea.

It's so hard to say, but I think my favorite is the options menu, though it's a close tie between that and the Chapters Menu. You picked a really great scene, and as wick said of your other work, they look very professional. It easily looks like something they would use on the DVD. And the Chapters Menu is just so creative. I like how you positioned the small windows to the screens around Anakin to fit the floor encircling the table. It's very inventive. :) I can almost hear his agonized groans just looking at it.

- Suz ^_~

6. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    The dvd pictures you made, they make it really tie the OT with the PT.

7. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Nice additions Maul- really like the options one- ties in well with that point in the story. Good job. :)

Arsnl

8. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    Here's Utapau. I didn't really like the way thses turned out compared to the other sets, but it was mostly because I couldn't find a lot of good images for the layout of each screen. If I had to choose a favorite, it would be the Chapters screen. Here they are:

[image=http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8438/b1utapaumainmenu5gc.jpg]

[image=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7122/b2utapauchaptersmenu7np.jpg]

[image=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1593/b3utapauoptionsmenu9xn.jpg]

9. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Wow, looks the real deal!

10. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    I like them. The Audio selection one is my favorite; probably because I really like that screenshot. The low-camera angle really makes you feel like you're part of what's going on.

You're really good at these, mate!

11. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    Thanks! I'm glad everyone liked the way these turned out. Now to think of my next project. [face_thinking]

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow! I love all of your DVD Menus! They look real, especialy the Coruscant one! :) Keep up the good work!

13. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Of these latest offers, I think I like the Coruscant ones best, DM--just the scenes you used, and the way the text is placed over them. "Options" is my favorite of those--I love that expansive view of the cityscape out through Padme's apartment. Very nice, and I agree with all the comments about them looking absolutely professional--well done! :D

FF

14. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I think the best ones were the Mustafar ones.

Great work DM431! Innovative idea with the menus.

15. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    Once again thanks for comments on the menus. Now we just have to wait 'till November 1st to see how they fare to the real ones!

My newest peice is "The Master of Dagobah". It's supposed to take place in the days after Yoda begins his life on Dagobah. I've finally learned to make my own lightsaber effects (with infinite thanks to Jedi_Commander_Faofa :D !). I'm still getting the hang of it (like right now I have only been able to make blades on black backgrounds, hence the dark image).

I wish it came out a little better but it's alright.

[image=http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2262/themasterofdagobah2mv.jpg]

16. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, I really like this image, DM!! It "tugs" at my heart a little: Yoda, all alone on this potentially deadly planet (we know there's at least one thing there big enough to eat him... ;) ), trying to get his bearings as he begins his self-imposed exile... I always got the feeling that he would certainly have missed the companionship of his fellow Jedi--would have missed instructing the younglings (he seemed to have a good time with them...)--would have been a bit lonely... This sort of has that feeling to it. It is dark, but I really like that the most important elements are what stand out to the eye: Yoda, illuminated only by his lightsaber, the abandoned lander, and the ghostly images of those massive trees... Nicely done!

FF

17. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Very cool image! The lightsaber looks great.

This has a really unusual composition, but I think it works. Having just a few select parts of the image lit up gives the image a very oppressive atmosphere. It also sort of gets your mind going about what might be in the dark shadows...

18. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    DM431, that image is pretty cool! I've been working to see what the deal is with the dark backgrounds... I know in Photoshop it doesn't really matter, but once you set it on screen mode, and fill color black, it does it fine, whatever the background image is. It basically turns the black invisible, and just shows the blade. It looks like you have gotten the hang of making lightsaber blades now. As you do more of them, you'll start customizing the blades more (for instance, I started out just getting photos of Jedi/Sith with the lightsaber blade cut off at the top of the image so I wouldn't have to round off the lightsaber blade... LOL). Can't wait to see more of your work!

19. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    The DVD menus have a really professional feel to their design, and I really like "Master of Dagobah"s moody feel. Nice job DarthMaul431!

20. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    FalconFan - Don't worry about Yoda, he's not really alone because he's got Qui-Gon! Too bad Qui-Gon didn't come in full body form or else I could have used him to fill in the background.

wicktone - I think the darkness worked really well for this only because it's Dagobah. If I had been trying to do someplace like Mustafar or Coruscant where it's always lit by lava or lights then the darkness wouldn't fit that good.

Jedi_Commander_Faofa - I say thanks again for the help. I'm trying to find something similar to the screening you were telling me about on my program but so far I haven't found anything. At least I'm able to make saber effects at all!

Darth_Snuggle - I'm glad you like the menus!

Later on today I'll post another clone collage that I had made a few weeks ago but forgot to post. This time it's all of the Clone Commanders from Episode III.

21. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    Here's my newest pic "The Clone Commanders of Order 66":

[image=http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1379/theclonecommanders2vt.jpg]

22. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    The Master of Degobah
    I'm with Wick, you definatley get the impression that there may be something looming in the shadows. Even more so in the way that Yoda has his lightsaber drawn out, obviously more than ready to take on anyone or anything. The lightsaber effect is not too shabby too ;)

The Clone Commanders of Order 66
    That's a great montage. I like the variety of all the armoured costumes put together. You manage these just as cleanly as Coran_Fett does. Your skills in this area really is very impressive.

- Suz ^_~

23. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I think The Clone Commanders of Order 66 is the best collage you have done to date. Looks real smooth. Great job!

24. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Heh. Thanks for the heads up :D
    I agree with the others: this is the best thing you've done yet - keep it up ;)

25. DarthMaul431

Sep 19, 2003
    Here's my newest pic called "The Skywalker Legacy".

Even though it has other characters, they either affected or were affected by this one family, which is the focus of Star Wars itself. At first I was thinking of only doing the Skywalkers and to include Shmi and the Jappor Snippet, but then I decided to do all of the main characters of the films. I wish I had room to fit R2 and 3PO though.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/TheSkywalkerLegacy.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.