1. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

Art Archive DarthMaul431's Art Thread **2 NEW PICS 3/18**

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthMaul431, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    catofong - I'm not really sure if I could do that, because even though you have the Leia pic already, I still need a picture of Luke with his lightsaber held high (which I don't think there is). I'll try but I'm not going to gaurantee anything.

My latest image is Fateful Climax. It's based on Clone Wars Chapter 19, where Anakin and Asajj Ventress duel on Yavin 4. I got the image of the temple from a screenshot in my Battlefront game. I then fixed up the contrast and clarity, and added Anakin and Asajj. For the leaves, those are actually pictures that I took with my digital camera (I took my own since I need the right angle). I really like the way this one came out!

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/anakinversusasajj.jpg]
  2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    That makes two of us. :)

This really turned out good. I like how you changed the lightning and such. It looks like that scene from the Clone Wars. The lightsabers look decent too. The shadows add more drama to the picture as well. Great job DM431!
  3. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    I like it a lot, as well. The red is pretty powerful here; the sky almost looks bloody. Nice framing with the foreground plants, too!

That's a cool idea to use your camera to get pictures of leaves with the correct angle and perspective. I imagine that's a lot easier than trying to find a photo online that's 'just right'.
  4. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    Jedi_Commander_Faofa - I had to erase around the lightsabers to show them. They came out better than I had expected.

wicktone - I think it's a lot easier taking my own pictures (and a lot more fun). It actually makes my images seem more original when I'm using my own pictures for it. Besides, it get's annoying when you can't find something on the web (sometimes even Google can't find what your looking for!).

By the way, did anyone notice the hidden "spectator"?
  5. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    I finally drew a picture! Even though it's nowhere near any of the other talent's here I just wanted to get my idea across of this Mandalorian Helmet worn by Beserkers. I got the idea from the Mandalorian skull and decided that it would be cool to combine the skull with the famous T-visor helmet that we have come to be familiar with. I puposely didn't add the antenna to the side of the helmet (looked too wierd and less like the skull).

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/MandalorianHelmetConcept.jpg]
  6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't even notice the hidden spectator before. Sweet!!

Your drawing looks pretty good! Nice touchup on the computer.
  7. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey DarthMaul431, you're doing some pretty cool stuff in here lately!!

I really like "Fateful Climax:" the severe angle to the view is very evocative of the tension of the scene, and like wick, I think the framing you've done is great: it adds to the focus on the battle going on above. The colors are very dramatic and add to that feeling of tension--and no, I have to say that I missed the "spectator" on the first read! Is that Palps...? Checking out his potential new Darth...? Very cool!

I also like the "Mandalorian Helmet" piece--I'm very drawn to the colors and the softness of the planets and star, then the gaze is snagged by the eerie "floating helmet" image, which is clear and in full focus. Cool--it just appeals to me! I think you have a wonderful sense of color and composition, and it's going to be fun to see what you come up with next!

FF
  8. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    I have to say that I missed the "spectator" on the first read! Is that Palps...? Checking out his potential new Darth...? Very cool!

No actually if you notice the pattern of the clouds, it forms Vader (mostly the top half of his helmet from the eyes up). I purposely tried to make it hard to notice.

I think you have a wonderful sense of color and composition, and it's going to be fun to see what you come up with next!

I'm glad you like it, but my next picture will be very different in the color department, a change from all of my other ones! :D
  9. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    Here is what I meant by totally different in color terms. It's called "Qui-Gon and Dooku; Master and Apprentice". I purposely made it close to sepia (though not exactly) and slight blured different parts of it to look like an old photograph (I also did this because the Liam Neeson picture that I got wasn't in color and I'm not good at trying to color photo's from black & white). But I like how it seems to be old, maybe it was an old photograph that Qui-Gon once showed Obi-Wan (then again I doubt paper even existed in the SW galaxy anymore!)

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/Qui-GonandDookuMasterandApprentice.jpg]

I've already told Jedi_Commander_Faofa that I think it's cool to recreate the EU visually!
  10. wicktone Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's a very cool design for the helmet! The horns protruding down at the bottom make it look a bit like a mastodon head. Very intimidating, and it works surprisingly well with the T-visor.

Interesting manip of Qui-Gon and Dooku. Is that really Christopher Lee? I've never seen a picture of him as a young man before...
  11. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, what a cool picture DM431!! It looks all yellowed and wrinkled, juat like an old photograph would! And yes wick: that's Christopher Lee! He cut a dashing figure as a younger man, I think! It looks really cohesive, with Dooku looking sort of sternly at Qui-Gon, who has this sort of mischievous expression on his face (like he's just played a trick or broken some rule)! I like this very much! And yes, I agree completely--it's very cool to create/recreate the EU visually! Well done!

FF
  12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Very good pic DM431! The aging of the picture looks really good. I also liked how you put a Christopher Lee image into a costume. Congrats on another great work!
  13. krammer Jedi Padawan

HS29 EDIT: Please stop posting the same material over and over again. That is considered spam as I've explained to you many times before. If you would like someone to make this cover for you, please check out theOfficial Request Thread. Posting it over and over will NOT accomplish ANYTHING! This is your FINAL warning.
  14. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm currently reading the Joiner Kingby Troy Denning (and what a great book it is so far!). My favorite scene is when Luke is repairing R2, whose been malfunctioning to an old memory chip. As he is fixing up R2 he stumbles on a recording (much like how he stumbled on Leia's message to Obi-Wan in ANH) of Anakin and Padme during the ROTS scene when Anakin tells Padme of his dreams of her death in childbirth.

I really wanted to recreate this and here it is. I really liked the way the hologram turned out.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/MessagefromthePast.jpg]
  15. Jedi_Commander_Faofa Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice final product DM431! That's awesome! I was worried you wouldn't find a good Luke pic to use, one that has him looking older, but you used the dark background to hide that. Good job! Also, it seems you found a way to make the hologram well with your digital art program. The lighting is really good as well, especially with Artoo's lights.

Congrats on another great pic!
  16. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Qui-Gon and Dooku; Master and Apprentice"

The soft crinkled texture does well to add the effect of an aged photograph. Both expressions seem to work well for both characters, particulary good job on finding a great picture for a young Dooku.

"Repairing R2"

The scan lines really do provide a good way of making it look like a hologram recording and great work on making it look as though it was coming from R2. Nice job overall creating this scene. I've never tried manipulating photo's in the way you have and I would imagine these kind of pictures are difficult to do.

- Suz ^_~
  17. jedi-master-faran Jedi Master

star 2
  18. CountessYnaAda Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really like your picture of Dooku and Qui-Gon, DM. The old vintage style, the sephia adds a beautiful and feeling to it. I love the almost playful look Qui-Gon has. :D And the young Christopher Lee is awesome. And rather handsome.

And repairing R2 is great. For some strange reason I'm really drawn to the way Luke looks. Its a cool picture of him. The thought behind the main picture is great, Luke actually seeing his parents. Great work!
  19. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, so loving "Message from the Past" DM431!! I loved that little part in the book--and yes, it's very much like the scene in ANH, when he discovers Leia's hidden message in R2! You've really done a great job making this look real: the interaction between Anakin and Padme, their "ghostliness" in the light-blue of the hologram, and the intense look on Luke's face as he sits spell-bound beside the little droid...wonderful! It's just like I pictured the narrative, too! Lovely--a great choice to depict! Well done!

FF
  20. Peter_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Awesome pic, and that book is amazing .
  21. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Very nice work. I really like your last one... but I just about like anything with the Farmboy in it. ;)

I also like the pic with Asajj and Anakin fighting. Good job on incorporating your own digital photos in the picture. I did that also recently. I did a picture of Jacen enduring the Embrace of Pain and for the room I actually went outside and took an extreme close up of the back of the cement stairs leading up to my porch. When I put it in the picture it looks like a moss covered cement wall. It is so much easier than googling for the exact type of photo I am looking for.

Great job on all your work.

AG88
  22. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wow! Nice work!
    I especially liked the Asaaj, Dooku/Qui-Gon, and this most recent one!
    The only thing I'd change is to have Luke's head a bit higher up. R2 is pretty short afterall. But the concept and execution is brilliant and wonderful!
  23. goblin_fire Jedi Knight

star 3

BRILLIANT! That's totally how I saw it.
  24. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    Boy oh boy what a long time it has been. I look at the Art forum and though I still see a few familiar names I don't know a lot of people here anymore! It's been ages since I last posted anything and there are a few reasons why.

First of all I've been busy with school. I'm preparing to start college in the fall and so I've been busy filling out applications and scholarship information and other things. Second of all I have had an addiction to the Wookieepedia. If you want to see how much time I've spent there, take a look. I have to admit this is what really caused my abrupt disappearance from the JC. I occasionally checked by to see what was going on and noticed that due to the fact I was not on for weeks or even months at a time, I unfortunately was not able to fufill some of the art requests given to me (I again apologize to those who asked me for a request that I did not complete).

In the last month, however, I finally got Photoshop CS2 (a huge leap from the basic Photostudio that I had used for all of my art up until now). And with Photoshop now at my fingertips, I have made a few pics that I will post tomorrow.

I hope that I'll be on much more frequently now, but I can't make any promises. I'm glad to see the Fan Art challenges are still around and I hope to participate in the future.
  25. DarthMaul431 Jedi Master

star 2
    Here are my two newest pics. Using a technique I learned on Photoshop I created these mosiace like images.
    General Mundi on Mygeeto
    [image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/MygeetoMosaic.jpg]
    The background is an image that I took on my webcam from Battlefront II of Mygeeto.

The Enslaving of Kashyyyk
    [image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/DarthMaul431/EnslavingKashyyyk.jpg]
    Again using a Battlefront II background I recreated the scene of the Imperials taking over Kashyyyk from the novel Dark Lord (a really good read by the way). As I've said before, I have a fondness for recreating EU scenes.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.