main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive ><><DarthSinister's><>< Paint Art UPDATE 6-18-06 GrandAdmiralThrawn

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by XXDarthSinisterXX, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow, you are a brilliant artist! I love all of your drawings.

I am so sorry about you losing your home, especially with a child on the way.

I wish you and your family the very best.

AG88

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You have my condolences on losing your home, and my best wishes for the birth of your child. I hope your new arrival is the start of a good period for you and your family.

3. XXDarthSinisterXX

XXDarthSinisterXX Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    Hello all,

I've got my internet back up and running. Since I've last spoken to you my wife and I have celebrated the birth of our daughter Alisha "Ally" Michelle. Our situation due to the storm has unfortunatly not changed though. We are still waiting on our insurance companies to help as are most in the Gulf Coast region. And let me just take this oppertunity to slam FEMA and the Red Cross for the pittiful job they have done here in the relief efforts. It was there time to shine and they fell grossly short of the mark.

I've had some time to create and have come up with 18 new additions to my galleries. I hope you all enjoy them and my improving technique. Some of the new additions include Han Solo, Mara Jade, Mace Windu and the evil Yuzzum Vong.

Follow the link below...

Sinister's Art III

4. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
  5. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Wow! These are all so wonderful...your art just has this really unique quality to it. Very complex detailing, textures, costume design and great choices for likenesses! All in all- wonderful! :D I especially like your Winter, is that as in the Winter, if so I'm very happy and many people don't do art of her. I also adore your take on Joruus C'Boath, I've never seen a truly concvincing version of him as I've seen here. Well done and hope you can treat us all with some more! :)

And on the personal level, I really hope things get better for you really soon. Hopefully those insurance companies, Red Cross and everybody will collectively take their finger out and help people. Congratulations on your baby daughter (what a beautiful name!) at least there's light in these bad times. :)

6. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    Thank You for your kind words of support Corillian_Rouge. All of you here be aware that any money you donate, past-present or future, to the Red Cross or even a specified fund (like what has been set up for "us" The Hurricane Katrina Fund) the money never seems to go to the right places. As devistated as we were and are the great Red Cross has given us a case of water, a broom, 2 hot meals and $600 dollars in 3 months and have already left the area.

Anyhoo thanks for the compliments on my art work. Yes that is "the" Winter... Leia's friend and confidant, and nanny to her children. She is a bit under stated in EU stories and art work. I tried to give her a more exotic spin to make her a little more interesting.

My idea behind Jorus C'Boath is that maybe Palpatine was experimenting with cloning and midichlorians during the time that his apprentice was Count Dooku. Palpatine wanted a younger apprentice so he attempted to clone the Count, but the combination of the cloning process and Palpatine's twisted Dark Side experiments warped the mind of the clone. Palpatine kept the clone of Dooku far and removed from the facts of his existence by giving him a false identity and hid him away on Wayland with a Holy Grail type purpose. So to tie C'Boath into the Prequels I've made him the clone of Darth Tyranus.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I saw you did Han and I just had to pop in here. :p

Very nice job depicting a post-ROTJ Han. I love it! [face_love]

Your other drawings are done quite nicely as well. I have to agree that C'Baoth really catches your attention. Awesome work!

8. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Do you actually Vector, or do you just take pictures and filter them? A lot obviously seem to be filtered pics of Picard, Chris Lee, Sam Jackson, etc. However, if they're true vector art, like, from scratch, then major props to you. Lol.

9. darth-marc

darth-marc Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2005
    Nice work. I especially liked the Christopher Lee inspired Jorus C'Baoth and added a post to my blog noting it:

http://outerrimcustoms.blogspot.com/2005/12/terrific-star-wars-art.html

10. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    HanSolo29 I thought you might like the older wiser Han. I did this with no specific EU story in mind. I've always kind of imagined that Han would eventually be bearded after ROTJ. You see I also write a little bit, and have a few stories here and there. I always fancied the idea that Han's charater would become more like an Indiana Jones type after the Empire was overthrown.

omnis my technique has changed somewhat from the begining if you notice from my two older threads. I have changed because when I do a character that I want to be recognized, I want it as close to the oringinal model as I can. I have a lot of fun "casting" the characters with certain actors who I feel fit the bill the best. It is a tedious process and takes a day or two to complete one drawing. First I search for a face model like Christpher Lee that comes as close to the Star Wars character Jorus C'Boath as I can find, in this case I used a picture of Lee decked out as Saruman from LOTR. Next I will resize the face model in Paintshop to a standard size that I use for all of the characters. The next step is to use a flood fill and to carfully choose my colors and fill areas on the model until its mostly covered... there is no filter involved. When you're done with this process what you end up with is a choppy, out-of-sorts version of the original photo model, it turns out very rough. Now the tedious part begins. I paste a small version of the original photo next to the work-in-progress and by hand begin erasing, adding, filling and hand drawing until i get a finished product that I'm satisfied with. At this point I usually hand draw the costume and add in textures from Paintshop or from texture maps I've created about the same way as the face. A single drawing can consist of 4 or 5 unrelated pieces of other photos merged in a technique that makes it all look like one. Now having said all that I do hand draw some characters. The Yuzzum Vong for instance is not modeled. I drew the head first, then the costume and lastly added the hands. Textures were used in the same way as discribed above to add a bit of realism. I hope that answers your question, if you have anymore specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

darth-marc Thank you so much for the compliment. I'm flattered that you liked the C'Boath so much you put him on your blog. I'm going to start working on more very soon so keep tuning in to see whats new.

Thanks all,
    ><><DS><><

11. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey there ><><DarthSinister><><! A huge congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of you daughter (and yes--it's a beautiful name!)! A ray of sunshine in an otherwise pretty unpleasant year for you, I would say... Prayers and best wishes for getting help with your lost home. MTFBWY.

And on your latest pieces here (we couldn't be happier that you've found some time to create!):
    totally loving all of them! Han Solo in particular--what a fabulous representation of our favorite scoundrel! I really like the beard on him, too--great addition! Not too much, nor too little--just right! I love the Talon Karrde, too--it's just like I pictured him! Very suave and maybe just a little arrogant (not that he's not entitled, you understand--he's the most successful smuggler in the galaxy, after all...)--great costuming too! Very natty! I agree with Corellian_Rogue about Winter, too--loving the "exotic" look you've given her here! The detailing across the forehead is very beautiful, and beautifully done!

How great to see some new work from you--and again, best wishes for a successful outcome with your home--and on the birth of your lovely baby!

FF

12. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    Thank You Falcon Fan for your kind words.
    I'm very proud of my daughter. She is truly a bright spot in this grim situation we are in.

Han Solo was a fun one to do. I'm eventually going to do a post ROTJ spin on all of the main characters... Luke, Leia, Lando etc. Winter was a simple drawing so I tried really hard to make her stand out from the crowd. Talon Karrde is modeled after the smart mouthed B-movie actor Bruce Campbell. They seemed to be a good match not to mention I'm a fan of ole' Brucie.

This next one is a famous Starship Captain. A serious soldier, cunning and full of surprises. This fellow can't be fooled and always has a trump card to play.

[image=http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/8876/palleon5az.jpg/image.gif]
    CAPTAIN PELLAEON

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    The Admiral "as a young[er] man!" Great piece! I so admire and respect Pellaeon's character, as a soldier and a leader--he's someone we don't see nearly enough of in fan art work (and I'm guilty of same, lol!). Very nice painting, particularly the face--I think you could "sharpen up" the uniform just a tad, as far as shading and folds, etc--it looks just a touch "flat" to me as it is right now. There's such volume and depth to the face, the clothing needs a bit more of that same treatment, I think. This might be fun to layer over a beautiful starfield with a Super Star Destroyer somewhere in the background--to put the man "in his environment," so to speak! Wonderful!

How are things going for you now, and how are your wife and new daughter? :D

FF

14. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    You caught me Falcon Fan. I really rushed through the Captain. I usually spend much more time on a drawing than I did here. I want to try and make my face look a lot more like the model I used, which in case no one recognized him with a mustach is also a Starship Captain on another Sci-Fi series. (William Shatner) I promise I will tweak him a bit.

My family and I are fine. We are still living in a camper and probably will be for a year. At least the baby will have no memory of this.

15. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    You used Shatner!! [face_laugh] You know I kept looking and looking at him and thinking, "This guy looks a little familiar."

The first name that came to mind was John Banner (Sergeant Shultz), but that is just because of the mustache.

I am glad you mentioned who was the model because it probably would have drove me crazy trying to figure it out.

Oh, I read how you make the drawings. You must have patience. That sounds like a long and painstaking process. You get great results though.

Great job!

AG88

16. Caius

Caius Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Hey everyone! I love the pictures displayed in this thread and would also like to access your web pages, DarthSinister, but somehow the links end in error messages. :confused:

Have they been updated or has anyone a diffent link?

Thanks!

17. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    Hi everyone,

The web site I used to post my images on is no longer in service, so I've put some of my art on another site and provided a link.

Gallery

Thanks,
    ><><DS><><

18. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    Hello everyone. I finally have a new drawing, a closer look at that Bothan you love to hate.

Borsk Fey'lya

19. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Checked your gallery -- good stuff! I have to say that's the first time I've ever seen Don-Wan Kihotay fan-art though. That character's name made me groan for ages after reading that issue. I'd forgotten him until now. :p Good use of celebs for non-movie characters.

20. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Awsome stuff. I take it ur an X-Fan too. :cool:

Well hence the name Sinister. :)

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    ><DarthSinister><!! How great to see you posting again! **dances in thread** [face_dancing]

I laughed pretty hard when I saw that you'd used a hyenna (sp?) for his face/head--how very appropriate, in so many ways! [face_laugh] The clothing looks wonderful--very sumptuous, very elegant, as he's always written to be. I like that rather shifty look you've managed to give him here, too--great IC portrayal! Wonderful to see you've found some time to create again--it's great to have you back!

FF

22. XXDarthSinisterXX

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks for the good critique ladies and gents.

Basement24 glad you enjoyed the art. I grew up on the Marvel series. As a kid I thought the stories were bad but I was happy to have anything Star Wars at the time, back in 77' & 78' it was somewhat scarce. I have a fondness to the series and the old characters as you can see, I have Jaxxon, Amaizia, Don-Wan, FE-Q9, Dani and Crimson Jack... and still have several in mind.

Anakin_Skywalker20 actually the two Sinisters are not related, but I do like the X-Men.I also used an X character "from the movies" as a model for one of my paintings.

FalconFan thanks, I still see Bothan as a dog like creature in my minds eye.

This week I got a good one. This one took a couple of weeks to complete woking an hour or so a night. Also 8 reference pictures... and I'm still not quite satisfied.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    8 reference pictures?! :eek: I think I'd've killed myself!! lol!

This one is just wonderful, ><Sinister><--I love his impassive expression, and the uniform is fabulous! The ysalamiri is done very well (I've seen a lot of different versions of them, but this one really fits!), and this looks very much as I imagined him when I read the book. Excellent work! You say you're not quite satisfied...what is it that's bugging you? I think it rocks! Another wonderful addition to the gallery!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.