main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Das Beziehung aus Amerika und Deutschland

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    We are discussing relations between America and Germany in the Senate. I invite you all to join us and explain to those who do not understand German politics how you feel about the election, and the rift between America and Germany. Frankly, the debate right now is a bunch of Americans debating about what they THINK is going on in Germany. I think it would be good to have the other side tell their story. I apologize for not speaking German, but it's been 11 years since I lived there, and I just don't feel comfortable with the language anymore. I'm trying to relearn it though, so maybe I should lurk in here more often. :) (I currently live in Canada, by the way)

Here is the thread

2. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Thank you for the invitation and I am happy to help and answer some questionns. :)

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    off-topic: didn't you once have that nice manual signature? Your name in Canada's flag? no?

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I have three, actually, but I stopped using it, mostly becuase I was afraid it might annoy people. You don't find it annoying?

The one I used:

____" AT60 "____

Another one, unused:

____" AT60 "____
    ____" AT60 "____
    ____" AT60 "____

Another one, also unused:

__" AT60 "__
    __" AT60 "__
    __" AT60 "__

I have a question for you guys: Your English is good, both of you. Where did you learn it? School? I took French in school for 8 years, but my French isn't as good as your English. When I moved away from Germany, I didn't know any English at all. However, I was only 7 at the time. Where I was, only tourists spoke English.

5. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    ...and I just saw your reference to us in the YJCC-Thread "If you go to Canada, you will die" :D

We learn English from the 5th grade on till the end of school (13th grade) - no choice, either - the choice is (mostly) between French and Latin; in 7th grade

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, that's good to know. I've wanted to go back for a long time now, for a year, perhaps. It's good to know I'd be able to interact with people until I got comfortable with German again. I love Canada to death, but Germany just still feels like home, somehow.

Is the government still offering that first year of university free? I know it was offered when I left. I've retained my citizenship, so I just might be elgible. Probably not, though.

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Actually, that's not entirely true, TwiLekJedi. I started english lessons in 7th grade, and stopped after grade 10. (took latin and greek instead - both languages that no one actually speaks :p)

It's unusual though, most people do indeed learn english from 7th to 13th grade.

And by now, many elementary schools (maybe all, I'm not sure) start taching english in 3rd grade. :)

I'm not sure if people who aren't german have to pay for university, but for us, the first education is still free. :)

Oh, and welcome to the GSFF, AT60. :D (how rude, I should've said that first [face_blush] ;))

Thanks for the invitation, that thread in the senate is most interesting. :) I'll try to reply to it later.

8. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    I started reading English books to get better in school, but it helps me more here then back in school. ;)
    I think to post in this forums is a very good training, only the speaking component is missed. :D

9. admiral jimmy

admiral jimmy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 1999
    But IMHO the best training I had was watching Futurama episodes in English.
    Since then I try to be like Bender :D .

10. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    *bows* Excuse me, Julia, I just told it the way I know it. I knew I should have included some disclaimer-like restricting sentence like "at least in NRW/ Düsseldorf/ Oberbilk/whatever" :p

And yeah, reading books in english and watching movies in their Original Versions helps a lot

I need to start watching CNN ... :D

11. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Welcome to the GSFF!

I would enjoy such a conversation, but I don´t have time/flat rate to join you. :(

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    What would you people suggest to an English person without the money to travel to Germany who wants to relearn German?

13. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    Talk with us. Visit us in our thread and talk with us. You are not the first with that idea. ;)

There a some interesting German websites.

If you have a good book store near you, get a German book. Our news paper.

But the easiest way is really point one.
    You are welcome! :)

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, the problem is, my German is bad. I mean really bad. I'm pretty much no longer able to string a sentance together anymore, so I think if I talk to you guys in German, it'll just annoy you more than help me. If you guys are willing to deal with my poor German though, and correct me if I make mistakes, I'd really appreciate it. I have a German-English dictionary, but no other German books.

For starters, did I even get the title of this thread correct?

15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    For starters: No
    Correct would be "Die Beziehung zwischen Amerika und Deutschland"
    or maybe even "Die Beziehungen zwischen Amerika und Deutschland"

since so much time has passed, since you used German, it's no wonder that you're not good with it anymore
    (I spoke a little turkish 12 years ago and forgot everything in a year or so)

16. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That's right! Die is feminine. Das is plural. I knew that, but I still messed it up. [face_blush].

I assume "zwischen" means "between". I didn't remember that word, so I just said (or tried to, anyway) "The relationship of America and Germany."

That's what's frustrating about languages. They're hard to pick up, and easy to lose. I took 8 years of French lessons while in Canada. I was almost fluent. It's been a little over a year now since I stopped taking them, and I've lost about half of my French.

17. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    That you think about us, honours you, but I think I speak for all of us, when I invite you and offer you our help. :)

You wouldn't be the first, we help with our difficult language. ;)

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    AT, we could start the "Möchten gern Deutsch sprechen, aber haben den ganzen Grammatik vergessen"-thread. :)

And Julia, dead languages are always useful!

19. MacCaffrey

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi Johanna! :)

Es heißt die Grammatik vergessen. :)

Yup, Latin can help very often. Especially during the medical studies. ;)

20. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea, Obi Anne! :)

21. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I told you I had forgotten the grammar!!!!

Ahhh, must go back to study 6th century Irish.

22. DigeB

DigeB Jedi Master star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    wasn´t this about the relationship of America and Germany ??

23. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    isn't it still? ?[face_plain]

:p

24. DigeB

DigeB Jedi Master star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    well talking about grammar, isn´t quite the way...

25. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    We're not YJCC, we get off-topic faster than the road runner can say "meep meep"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.