main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dastoli Digital Presents: "Aux Armes Citoyens"

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Superchunk, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superchunk

Superchunk Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2000
    Hello,
    Fanflicks.com is hosting the completed movie and trailer files for Dastoli Digital's WW2 drama, "Aux Armes Citoyens." Please take a look and let these talented film makers know what you think of their latest film.

http://www.auxarmescitoyens.cjb.net/

Thanks!

2. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i'm downloading it now, looks pretty good? What happened to crossfire(that is the name right?)

I downloaded it, it was pretty good! The only thing that struck me as not right is they didn't blow out any smoke. Speaking of smoke was that smoke made in max, because it looked pretty good!

3. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Uh oh... Macho's got MAX and here come the "max is great" replies...

:p

Cya
    Mike

4. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    That was very good. I'm a big time WWII buff and this was great. What I liked was how it was quite different.

5. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    great film, yet i didn't really get the ending, someone want to explain for me?

6. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    lol i only said the smoke looked good! i asked because i might want to do it someday

7. darthdastoli

darthdastoli Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2000
    The smoke was created by blowing out a candle in front of a piece of black contruction paper. The CG train and planes were done in 3DSMAX.

As for Cross-Fire, don't worry its still in production. We had to take a little break from it because all of our actors went on vacation, but we will be working on that more in the next few weeks.

BrentK7, I'll PM you, I don't want to give away any spoilers. Hehe.

EDIT: And by the way, "Cross-Fire" still needs a new title. . . .

EDT #2: And we would also like to publicly thank fanflicks.com for hosting the trailer and movie.

8. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Great looking film. I've been following all your short films, and they're getting better and better all the time. Some of the shots are quite artistic looking with all the elements nicely balanced.

Just one question, do you record the dialog live, or add overdubs at a later stage? It sounds professional.

9. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I too would like to know.

But aside from the sound, the visuals on the trailer are very nice. It all feels like it was filmed on black and white stock back in the 40s.

10. darthdastoli

Aug 4, 2000
    No sounds were taken from the set. There were kids screaming at the school and the microphone wasn't close enough, and then the camera that we had attached the mic to (which was seperate from the camera that we shot the video on) overheated, so every line had to be dubbed. All the station and train sounds were also added in post, including the footsteps.

We're glad the "old film look" came out, we were afraid that with the web version, it would get lost in the compression.

11. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    That's one of the most professional looking amateur films I've ever seen. You guys have really come a long way. You should be very proud of yourselves; that's the kind of film you include with your resume.

12. darthdastoli

Aug 4, 2000
    Speaking of coming a long way. . .

I'd just like to mention that today, August 26, is the 1 year anniversary of the completion of Respectable Employ. Just for our own reminiscence.

That also means that it's been an entire year since we've made a Star Wars fan film. We'd love to make another one, especially after Attack of the Clones (we even have a premise and a lot of ideas), but these (Aux Armes Citoyens, etc.) are the projects that we really need to do and get done for festival credentials and applications, etc.

Well, I don't know what value this speech is to anyone, but I thought I'd say it to remind me of all those times such a long time ago. . . .

13. darynvallon

darynvallon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2001
    "Aux Armes Citoyens" ... Well, THAT is a good title guys ... A goooooood French title !!!! :D

I didn't see the film yet ... I'm a very busy man you know :cool: .... But I'm sure it's great because until now I always loved your film guys :)

Greg.

"A Dastoli's fan" :cool:

14. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Well, the lip sync is pretty spot on for the overdubs. Is that all done with Cool Edit Pro? And is it a dynamic mic you use?

15. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    I posted my comments on the FFF board. But I just wanted to say how cool this was.

Although I also didn't get the ending, (I think a detail shot of the cigarette case in his hands while wait for the train might have helped or maybe showing him taking the papers out at the restaurant but not showing what was on them. I'm just bitching sorry).

The look and feel, and the french at the begining was a real treat.

Kudos

Sauja

One last thing the smoke coming out of the train's stack was going straight up. Shouldn't it have been streaking back along the top of the train??? ;)

16. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
  17. darthdastoli

Aug 4, 2000
    We use an electret condenser mic for picking up and dubbing audio. Though (almost) all of our audio does go through Cool Edit Pro, it has nothing to do with synching up any dialogue. That is just done by eye/ear while editing (it takes a lot of test renders to get it as good as possible).

There's a few things that could have been added or done differently for a better general understanding of the ending, for instance, if we were to do it again at this point, we would probably add another conversation with a passerby at the train station, showing some progresssion/forboding. Though the way it is in the final film probably allows for the most surprise possible.

Yes, you're right about the smoke. It (the smoke) was all two dimensional, which would have made it harder to have the smoke going back, but the real reason why we didn't have it going back was because I think we just plain forgot to. The first shot that you see the train is a near front view, where you can't see where the smoke would be going back, and we applied the same method for the next full shot of the train, which was more of a side view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.