main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Databank Update: Aftermath.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002

http://www.starwars.com/databank/updates/news20050909.html

2. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    cool. Did you notice the contrast between medical droids? the ones for padme have soft tones and colors while Darth vader's reconstruction droids are dark and evil looking.

3. Father_Time

Father_Time Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2003

And it officially WAS 2-1B that helped remake Vader! (The same droid that heals Luke in TESB)

When will they update Padme's? It still doesn't include her death.

4. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    We should've got an update for 2-1B.

He seems to be the only medical droid that survived Vader's temper tantrum.

5. BombardTarkin

BombardTarkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Not sure if this was always in the entry .... but did you notice how the entry on Vader spells out that Vader helped hunt down the remnant of the Jedi order after the events of ROTS?

Let's go tv show!

;)

6. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Well Vader is probably not going to star in the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series since it is going to star minor characters from the films and probably completely new Jedi but I think we will probably see Jedi.

7. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    The Polis Massans of the Local Dig settlement have had very limited contact with humans. While they had access to detailed xenobiographical archives regarding human physiology, the medics of the outpost had no practical experience in treating injured humans. Human childbirth was even more alien to them.

THANK YOU!! Dammit, I knew there HAD to be more to it than just "she's lost the will to live!"

"Medical incompetence/malpractice due to ignorance," while not something you can get across easily on screen, makes a much more plausible and dramatically sound demise when combined with both the emotional trauma AND the injuries Anakin inflicted. Padme might as well have been in the hands of a veterinarian or a dentist (and likely would have had a better chance of survival either way).

8. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Ohhh Boy! I like, I mean REALLY LIKE this little addition to the Darth Vader biopic:

"His mother, Shmi, revealed that there was no biological father. Inexplicably, she became pregnant with the Force-prodigy and carried him to term. Some among the Jedi believed this to be part of an ancient prophecy of a Chosen One, willed into life by the midi-chlorians, who would bring balance to an increasingly darkening Force. There was another possibility, though. The child could have been the creation of sinister Sith manipulations, as the Dark Lords Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious conspired to bring about the perfect apprentice by coaxing life from lifelessness ."

Shaaa-Weeeet!

EDIT: Fixed some babble

9. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Just hinting that Anakin was part of a larger scheme is even more sinister than what we get onscreen. That's just too sinister for words. That's just downright nasty for the Sith to comtemplate something so insidious.

Makes Anakin life seem even more tragic because, in a way, he was destined to become what he became but he was on a path to go in the opposite direction; towards the light.

I'm glad it's just hinted in the film and in the databank. Keeps the discussion and speculation going.

10. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    How could he be the Chosen One if he was created by Darth Plagueis?? Unless the Force allowed it.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So Plagueis is his daddy, eh?

Hmmmmmmm.....

12. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    It's implied that Sidious and Plagieus may have had a hand in creating Anakin. The databank and the films give you two options on his birth: Either it was the Will of the Force or the Will of the Sith. It's up to the individual to make their decisions.

Personally, I think it was the Will of the Force that created Anakin.

13. JMZ

JMZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    Agreed.

14. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Horrible and useless addition to the Darth Vader bio.

15. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Not useless...just something else to argue about. It's not like that idea wasn't implied in the film. It was implied in the film big time.

16. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    ROTS created more questions than it did answers... this being the most moronic one. It was bad enough bringing up 'midichlorians' as it was, now this manipulation garbage. The force becomes less and less mystical and magical every time the subject is touched.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I agree that the Plagueis/father deal is kind of a stretch. It's kind of a little too... sci-fi-ish. Or soap-opera-ish.

18. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    The Force still has magic and mystery to it. The Force still isn't really explained fully in the Star Wars Saga.

I, personally, don't have a problem with midichlorians. It didn't change my view of the Force one way or another. The added scientific aspect was just put into to understand who Jedi are able to manipulate the Force. Nothing more.

The Force is still the Force.

And what questions did Episode III create? I say maybe one or two but you make it seem like Episode III created bundles of questions gabe.

19. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    They still have a lot to update yet in the databank. Alderaan and Tatooine for sure. As with Padme and most of her role in ROTS. I'm assuming the next update will be A New Hope. Oh I just love that :p

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    THANK YOU!! Dammit, I knew there HAD to be more to it than just "she's lost the will to live!"

"Medical incompetence/malpractice due to ignorance," while not something you can get across easily on screen, makes a much more plausible and dramatically sound demise when combined with both the emotional trauma AND the injuries Anakin inflicted. Padme might as well have been in the hands of a veterinarian or a dentist (and likely would have had a better chance of survival either way).

Thats exactly what I thought all along too. That and maybe R2 and 3CPO may have injured her moving her aboard ship. :D

21. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Agreed that the databank allows us to choose. How we see Vader depends upon 'a certain poin to view.'

But I see in my mind's eye old Palps in the Opera slyly smiling after hinting that the Sith could 'create life.' The implications were rather direct, truth or not, that if the Sith could create life, and Anakin had no father, that the Sith could have created 'The Chosen One.'

That said, the Sith may have actually believed that they could, and did have a hand in Anakin's birth. But in order to do so the Force had to permit such an event, omni-sentient and ever aware, knowing what the Sith were trying to do and allowing them to believe that they actually did it, when in fact the Force simply 'allowed' it. It allows the Sith to proceed with confidence, and allows Anakin to make his fateful choices. But then the Sith never counted on Luke and Leia, or the bonds of family love -- a love that sucked Anakin to the Dark Side, and a love that drew him back to the light.

Waxing philosophical, an evil person can beget a moral and loving child, just as the holiest man alive can sire a living demon. Anakin is an enigma to the audience, the Jedi and the Sith. All know that he is powerful, the ultimate free agent. The Jedi have him, the Sith want him. The decision is entirely 'The Chosen One's." And that is the point -- Anakin has the freedom of choice -- to decide light or dark, to do what is right for the Republic or what is right for himself (and what he thinks is right for his wife), to serve an Empror that keeps peace through fear or to uphold the Jedi code and the democracy embodied by the Republic.

Free will -- free choice.

22. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The Sith creating Anakin is just one more self fulfilling prophecy. It was the will of The Force for the Sith to be destroyed. However instead of The Force causing the birth of the Chosen One, The Force allowed the Sith to sow the seed of their own demise. The Sith caused Anakin to be born thus fulfilling the prophecy of the Chosen One's birth.

Remember Anakin was the one who caused Padme's death. Again this was a self fulfilling prophecy. Anakin foresaw that Padme would die, he tried to stop it and ending up causing her death.

Same thing with the Sith. They caused their own demise.

23. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I like the idea that Sidious may have created Anakin. The will of the force was that the Sith would create their own destructor. Plus it would mean that he did know how to create life and basically lied to Anakin just after he became his apprentice.

Plus it also adds another layer to the opera scene. Not only is Sidious recalling about how he killed his Master, but hinting at how he created Anakin.

It also suggests that Sidious knew Shmi Skywalker and possibly had a hand in her death via the Tuskens. I remember in the original script for ROTS, Sidious reveals that Dooku possibly played a part in that.

Plus it also makes him part of the Skywalker family.

It also suggests that Darth Maul was supposed to die at some point.

My only problem is that this is stuff that should have been fleshed out on screen instead hinting at. I prefer straight solid answers than "let the audience decide" stuff.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine; June 2005.

25. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To Darth Quotation, you all listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.