main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Dates and Timeline?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Jul 9, 2015.

1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Anyone see a chance of the dates of Star Wars coming back? As in BBY and ABY and all that stuff. On Wookieepedia, it now just says (for example) Obi-Wan being born 57 years before the Battle of Yavin as opposed to 57 BBY.

I hope these come back, or at least a form of them at least. They don't have to be BBY and ABY. I know they have a Lothal calendar (because the planet is somehow super important just because it's in Rebels).

Tommytom likes this.
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    While I understand the Battle of Yavin as an out-of-universe marker the Battle of Endor makes more sense in-universe.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have never held any in-universe stock in the whole Battle of Yavin marker. It's like us basing all our measurements of historical timeline on when...Operation Desert Storm ocurred. In truth BY doesn't really have as much gravity as an event as others, from a galactic standpoint. Yes, the DS was destroyed, but there was still a LONG way to go to bring peace to the galaxy-MUCH more still to do.

I'd say other events, like the first battle of the Clone Wars, the announcement of conversion of the Republic to the Empire, or-as mentioned-the Battle of Endor. History-wise, these hold much more meaning for the galaxy as a whole, IMO.

I know it's fun to use that measurement, but if you think about it, the only reason the EU used BBY or ABY is because the Battle of Yavin is where we were first introduced into the story...

DurararaFTW likes this.
  4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Really the old eu should have used from the ruusan reformation when the republic and jedi reorganized after the last major with war before the clone wars. The imperials should have started a new calender starting with the first empire day when palps declared himself emperor.

5. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    Do people in the Star Wars universe even keep track of the years like we do?

Isaiah9823 likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Agreed. I assume the only reason it's not used is because of people who don't think that battle was cool enough. Ummm, just use logic instead, whoever-is-in-charge.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have read several of the books, and in those as well as in the films it seems they mostly describe the past simply in terms of events, but not using any actual measurement of time, or calendar of any sort.

The only ones I can remember off the top of my head is in TPM: "The Sith have been extinct for a millenia!" (Ki Adi Mundi). Even that is very vague...and in AOTC there's a few mentions of "10 years." Anakin about seeing Padme, and Obi-Wan about Sifo Dyas being killed. Those are the only specific references of time passage I can think of in the whole saga...The books may mention a few but still as I recall it's a vague mention of passage of time, rather than specific dating. It will be interesting to see if we have any of that in TFA.

It should be this way, IMO. Having the mystery of how much time has passed between events really helps keep the focus on the important details of events.

8. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    The most sensible starting-point for a calendar in-universe is probably Empire Day, and then I can see that being replaced later by the Battle of Endor.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  9. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    Haha, you have a point! =D=