Beyond Dating for Dummies ~ L/M ~ COMPLETE on 12/Jan

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hazel, Dec 21, 2012.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Dating for Dummies
    Author: Hazel
    Timeframe: circa 13 ABY
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade, Solos and probably more.
    Genre: Romance, pseudo-holiday fic
    Summary: If Luke wants the girl of his dreams, he needs to go get her!
    Disclamer: Star Wars belongs to Lucas Film and Lucas Film belongs to Disney which means that Leia is now a Disney Princess.

Special thanks to Jade_eyes for betaing. [:D] :*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dating for Dummies

~ Part I ~

Luke should have known better than to have come to Coruscant for Fete Week. He simply wasn't in the mood for a major celebration and he could tell, even though his sister denied it, that he was ruining it for everybody. He wasn't up to playing with the kids, he wasn't up to chatting with Han or Leia and he wasn't up to partying with his friends. And the worse part was that every time his spirits managed to lift a bit, something always brought them back down again.

The past year had been hard on him. Even though the Jedi Academy was now running smoothly, the rest of his life's dreams had crumbled when Callista had left him. He had put so much faith in that relationship that he failed to see what everyone else saw - it wasn't meant to be. It had taken him months to admit to himself that it was the dream of a future he had fallen for, not the woman herself. He had made peace with that part of his life now, but the loneliness crept in anyway.

"Hey, kid!" His brother-in-law called out, breaking the Jedi's line of thought. "What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing." Luke said, trying to smile. "I'm good."

"Yeah, sure! And my kids are little angels." Han replied, making sure to add the appropriate amount of sarcasm.

On queue, all three Solo kids came bursting down the stairs, shouting their little lungs out. After them was Chewbacca, roaring like crazy. The reason for this outburst was evident on the Wookiee's fur which was covered with some kind of sticky paste and a few Fete Week decorations. The sight brought the day's first genuine smile out of Luke.

"Hang on a minute." Han said to Luke while he got up to manage the mess. When the former smuggler got back, Luke was staring at the holo screen, his mood now greyer than before. There, a gossip columnist was recounting every detail of the season's main event - the Master Trader's Ball that had taken place the previous eve. Han and Leia had attended, but Luke had refused to go, claiming a major headache. At that moment, the columnist was describing and comparing the outfits of the most notorious guests. Behind him, a series of holos himself with Leia, others showed General Ackbar, Mon Mothma, several other members of the New Republic's government, many of the galaxy's most accomplished traders and entrepreneurs and, near the left side corner, the two figures that had caught Luke's full attention - their old-time friend Lando Calrissian and the former imperial agent and now valid ally, Mara Jade.

That was when it all began to make sense to Han.

"Boy, sometimes I think Lando is color-blind." Han joked, referring to his old friend's garish looking clothes.

Luke didn't even nod and Han kept at it. "But Mara looked stunning."

"You didn't say they were there." Luke said in a low tone.

"Everybody was there, Luke. You were the only one who didn't go."

When Luke just shrugged, Han thought that it was time to cut to the chase. "Is that your problem, kid? Lando and Mara?"

Luke merely sat back on the couch and refused to look at his brother-in-law. Han, of course, didn't give up.

"You have feelings for Mara, don't you?"

Now, Luke looked up, but didn't reply. Instead his eyes were almost pleading Han to stop. Naturally, he didn't stop. "You do! Why don't you do something about it?"

"She's with Lando!" Luke claimed, sounding revolted about going after his friend's girl.

Han had to laugh.

"Seriously, kid! You bought that. You have the Force and you bought that?"

Han's jest only made Luke get more upset. "What's so funny, Han?"

"Oh, you are still the naïve farm boy, aren't ya kid?" The former smuggler stated after he controlled his fit of laughter.

It was plainly clear that Luke was loosing his patience, so Han thought it best to enlighten the kid. "It's a scheme, Luke. They're just posing as a couple so they can uncover some things for Karrde."

"What?” That sounded strange to Luke. He knew Mara's employer would go to great length to get to the bottom of something, but to make his second-in-command pose as arm-candy to Calrissian was just overdoing it. “How do you know that?"

"Lando told me a few weeks ago. We got drunk over a game of sabacc and he spilled the beans. He wouldn't tell me what they're investigating though."

"Seriously?"

"Yup! You're the dummy here, kid." Han added, giving Luke his usual lopsided grin and making the former farm boy feel even more like a dummy.

Luke couldn't believe his ears. Since he had met Mara years before, he had been struggling with his feelings for her. It seemed like the galaxy conspired to keep them apart as much as through them together. Even though they saw each other often enough, there was always some kind of obstacle (Callista being one of the biggest, funny he should think of Callista as an obstacle now), some set of circumstances that got in the way and even when there wasn't, Luke's own natural awkwardness around the fiery redhead filled in just fine.

But what would he do now?

"You could ask her out," Han answered the unspoken question.

Luke shook his head and stated. "It's more complicated than that."

"No, it's not. She's a girl, you're a guy. You have to go get her." And before Luke could counter, Han added: "So what if you're risking bodily harm by courting a former imperial assassin."

An uncertain sigh escaped Luke's heart.

"You're gonna loose her, Luke. If you don't do something soon, some other guy will snatch her up and take her away from you for good. This thing with Lando was a ruse, but odds are the next one won't be. Mara is far too hot to remain single for much longer."

"I don't know, Han."

"Look, kid, this is Fete Week. It's the time of year when everybody is making wishes. All you have to do is go out there and make your wish come true. Now go!"

With that, Han grabbed Luke by the arm and practically threw him out the door. When he closed the door again, his wife was questioning him with her eyes.

"The kid went out to get himself a Fete Week present," he explained, and putting his arm around her waist he started leading her back inside. "Now why don't we put the kids in bed and start rehearsing our own private celebration."

TBC...

Me thinks Han wanted to get rid of Luke for some reason... :p
    Last edited by Hazel, Jan 12, 2013
    Falcon, madman007 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Hi, LOL I agree that there was an ulterior motive. ;) And the Han and Luke dialogue - wonderfully in character and full of brotherly pal-ish affection. I laughed when I read Luke's inner commentary on Callista [face_laugh] Yuppers, and woot on him having the hots for Mara for ages and ages. And being more in love with the idea than the person - that was a true statement. @};- Eagerly, eagerly awaiting more. :)
    Hazel likes this.
  3. Demendora Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Oh! It's gonna be fun! Please, tag me when you update.
    Hazel likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Funny and a nice beginning. Love Han and Luke and their banter
    Hazel likes this.
  5. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you nailed Han pretty well. I doubt that many will argue that.

Go ask Mara out Luke, you know you want too! :)
    Hazel likes this.
  6. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Oh! Yay! A holiday Hazel fic! This is going to be fun. Please tag me when you update!

I loved the end bit. SOOO Han!
    Hazel likes this.
  7. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Very nice. I had to read it on my phone because the power and internet went down. Then my new MAC crashed. My other computer crashed last week and is in with the Geek squad. So one computer will exit and one will enter. It is like the Thunder dome of computers. Anyway, if I don't comment like I usually do it is because I hate writing on my phone or Xoom tablet. Wonderful story!
    Hazel likes this.
  8. lukemaraben Jedi Master

star 1
    Good old Han! Are we sure he doesn't have the Force ;)?

Please tag me when you update!!
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, now this is going to be FUN. :D Count me in!! Can't wait for more!!
    Hazel likes this.
  10. Tribaldancer Jedi Padawan

I love the picture of Han throwing Luke out the door :)
    Hazel likes this.
  11. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Too cute!
    I love Han giving dating advice... [face_laugh]

"The kid went out to get himself a Fete Week present,"
    Tee hee hee...
    Great begining!

Would you mind tagging me when you update?
    Hazel likes this.
  12. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    "Seriously, kid! You bought that. You have the Force and you bought that?"

Sometimes I think the Force just doesn't work with matters of the heart. First, Anakin obsesses about Padme and look how he turned out. Now Luke is so timid about his feelings about Mara. Maybe he's afraid he'll turn out like his father.

Good stuff here with Han being the voice of reason.
    Last edited by madman007, Dec 27, 2012
    Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks all! [:D] I'm glad you guys liked my Han. I hope you like my Lando too...

Tag list: @Jade_eyes @Demendora @Briannakin @lukemaraben @ginchy @mavjade

~ Part II ~

Mara Jade was lying on a large couch in the middle of the living room, her hands folded over her stomach and her eyes pinned on the ceiling. It was one of those days, the ones when she didn't feel like talking to anyone; she just wanted to lay there, in complete and utter silence.

Of course that was not gonna happen.

"Come on Red, let's go out." Lando Calrissian challenged her from the other side of the room.

Mara rolled her eyes and, for the billionth time since the beginning of the month, cursed her employer for setting her up with Lando. "Let's not, and don't call me Red!"

"We should be seen together. Keep up appearances," the dark-skinned man pointed out.

"We were seen enough last night, Lando. It will last us for a good six months."

"Aww, come on princess..."

That was enough for Mara. "Call me princess again and you'll NEVER step outside again, because you'll be dead."

"Okay, okay, fine!" Lando raised his hands in surrender. "Geesh! Watch that temper, I was just kidding."

Mara didn't apologize and Lando didn't expect her to. The past couple of years, and during their incursions in search of Karrde's former mentor, he had come to know Mara Jade pretty well and he respected her a great deal. To say the truth, Lando genuinely cared for the fiery red-head and he knew that she cared for him too, just not in a romantic way. Lando had long ago desisted on trying to woo the former imperial, but he still liked to tease her and he enjoyed their cat-and-mouse game way too much to give it up. Besides, he knew that Mara also found the game amusing - most days - and would go to any lengths to show her a good time.

The lady needed to be shown a good time - it was as simple as that. That was why Lando insisted on accompanying Mara on this mission, even on the days she didn't want him around. And apparently this was one of those days.

"What's the matter, Mara?" He asked calmly after taking a seat on a nearby chair.

"Nothing," she replied in a halfhearted tone. Just when Lando thought she wouldn't elaborate, she did. "Just tired, I guess."

"Maybe you need a vacation, I know this great place we could go on Chandrilla. What do you say?"

"No, thanks. Don't get me wrong, Lando, but I'm sick and tired of the sight of you."

By this time, Lando was far too used to Mara's rants to take it personally. She always snapped at him when she was moody. As a matter of fact, she always snapped at everybody when she was feeling moody.

Of course, her favorite target was Skywalker, but he wasn't around. Come to think of it, Mara's mood had taken a turn for the worse the previous night when she realized that Luke would not be showing up.

Interesting!

"Okay, so," he baited, "maybe it would be a good change of scenery for you if you were to go to the Jedi Academy for a while. I'm sure Karr-"

Mara didn't let him finish. She sat up on the couch and, waiving her arms around, ranted on. "You're crazy, Calrissian! What would I possibly do in Skywalker's Academy?"

"Train to be a Jedi?" He suggested, innocently.

"You're definitely crazy!" She shook her head and threw her hands in the air and then fell on the couch again. "Shut up, Calrissian! Just shut up."

Touchy. And definitely very interesting.

But, nevertheless, Lando thought it better to be quiet for a while. If he knew his friend, she would not remain so for very long.

He was right and after a couple of minutes of silence Mara asked: "So, why do you think Skywalker didn't show up yesterday? Do you think he went off on some other wild adventure?"

Was that a note of worry in Mara's tone?

"No," Lando replied. "Han said that he was just feeling under the weather. He's actually on planet for Fete Week."

"That's good," she whispered almost inaudibly.

After a few more minutes of silence, Lando decided to take the chance and lay the game out in the open.

"You have feelings for him, don't you?" He asked carefully. To his surprise, Mara didn't jump up to swat him. As a matter of fact, she did nothing and said nothing at all. She just laid there holding her own hands tightly over her chest and Lando had the distinct impression that she was fighting off her feelings.

Suddenly, everything was clear. How many times had Mara gone after Skywalker when he got in trouble? How many rants did Lando put up with when Luke had shacked up with Callista? Mara had even so much as told him once that the main reason she had left the Jedi Academy in the first place was that Luke hardly paid any notice to her when she was there.

Lando always thought of himself as a great reader of other beings - how could he have missed all the signs?

Before he could take any action or say anything, Mara had gone up and out the door.

TBC...
    Falcon and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  14. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Your Lando was excellent. =D= Terrific introspections on L/M. @};- Yes, Hazel, my tag didn't work, although of course you did it right. :confused:

Looking eagerly forwards to part 3. Num tum! LOL
    Hazel likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Awesome dialog. You have Lando down great. This is sweet. I wonder where Mara is going? [face_thinking]

Can you give me a tag? Thanks!
    Hazel likes this.
  16. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Amazing dialog. I think you got Lando spot on. He's annoying, but he does genuinely care. I love seeing this aspect of the Lando/Mara relationship.
    Hazel likes this.
  17. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Be careful Lando or you could end up dead.

Looks like he said the magic words. Hee hee!
    Hazel and Jade_eyes like this.
  18. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    Mara didn't let him finish. She sat up on the couch and, waiving her arms around, ranted on. "You're crazy, Calrissian! What would I possibly do in Skywalker's Academy?"

"Train to be a Jedi?" He suggested, innocently.

"You're definitely crazy!" She shook her head and threw her hands in the air and then fell on the couch again. "Shut up, Calrissian! Just shut up."

Touchy.And definitely very interesting.

Yes, very touchy there, Mara. I'm surprised Lando's head was still attached after that. Don't know if you intend to include Corran Horn in this, but he is probably the first one who knew about Mara's feelings about Luke when she asked Corran to watch over Luke before she left the Jedi Academy on Yavin.

Again, great insight. Wondering how this will be concluded.
    I guess the PM's are called Tag lists now. Please include me. Thanks!
    Last edited by madman007, Dec 28, 2012
    Hazel likes this.
  19. Demendora Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Oh, Lando is a brave man, and now he knows something so personal about Mara. I wonder, what he will do with this knowledge. Probably, he'll make a bet-pool)))
    Hazel likes this.
  20. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Love your Lando and Mara banter. Lando is right of course;)
    Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  21. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    It's just a trick my eyes are playing, now... everytime I see "Fete Week", I start to wonder why they're celebrating "Fleet Week." Ack. (Also, I ask for tags/PMs. Whichever it is.)

"Boy, sometimes I think Lando is color-blind." Han joked, referring to his old friend's garish looking clothes.

That, or he must really want to be noticed...

"Aww, come on princess..."

That was enough for Mara. "Call me princess again and you'll NEVER step outside again, because you'll be dead."

[face_laugh]
    Hazel likes this.
  22. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    hahahahahaa, Oh, Lando, I love you. [face_love] He's too funny. I love him trying to bait Mara but he'd best be careful. I guess he's lucky she likes him, too, or he really would be dead!

But I love how he figured out that she has the hots for Farmboy. And just where is she going?? Love it and can't wait for more!!
    Hazel likes this.
  23. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you all for reading and reviewing! [:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tag list:

@Jade_eyes @Demendora @Briannakin @lukemaraben @ginchy @mavjade @Jedi_Lover @madman007 @DaenaBenjen42

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Part III ~

When he left the Solos' apartment, Luke felt the confidence of an energized hero. Unfortunately, all that power quickly faded in the face of his uncertainty towards Mara's feelings and his own insecurities. How the hell was he going to approach Mara and state his intentions? What if she used the lightsaber he had given her, on him? What if she told him to get lost? Why did he find the second hypotheses so much more painful than the first?

Looking back, he had never had much success in wooing women. His clumsy attempts to get a girl's attention back on Tatooine were better not to be remembered. In his adult years he only remembered ever actively wooing Leia, and she had turned out to be his sister - better forget that too. As for the other women in his life, Shira had chased him and had turned out to be a traitor anyway; Gaeriel had not lingered enough in his life to be called a relationship, he had left as soon as her world was safe; Jem, he had found tied to a tree and needing rescue, and Callista had been trapped in a computer. Luke had to conclude that his idea of wooing women was to rescue them from whatever danger they were in.

If only Mara Jade needed rescuing... Luke almost laughed at that thought. In Mara's case, she did the rescuing and he was the rescued one. Maybe that was why it wasn't working out.

'Hmm, maybe if I set it up so that I would rescue her...' Luke mused and then kicked himself for it. He would never do something like that to anyone. It was way to idiotic. There had to be another way.

What did his friends usually do? Oh yes, they bought their lady flowers and/or treats of her liking, they complimented her at every turn, they invited her to go somewhere expensive... Somehow, Luke didn't see any of those choices working with Mara.

He was hopeless. Han was right, he just a lovesick dummy.

~ * ~

After Mara left, it took Lando a whole of nine seconds to figure out his next move. He made his way to his comm station and commed his good buddy Han. When the former smuggler's image showed up on the holo screen, Lando had to force himself not to laugh at his friend's scruffy look. He failed. Han's hair was completely muzzled and it was obvious he had donned his shirt inside-out. In fact, Lando was almost sure his friend wasn't even wearing pants.

"Well, somebody's having a good time." Lando was the first to greet. "I hope I didn't interrupt anything."

"If you had, I wouldn't have answered. Now what do you want?"

"You kids put the kids to bed on time tonight, hah."

"Lando - what do you want?" Han insisted.

"Okay," Lando conceded. "I... How do I put this? I just found out that Mara has the hots for Luke."

Now it was Han's turn to laugh. "You mean that the redhead is in love with the kid? That's... that's interesting. How do you know that? Did she admit it?"

"No, she stormed out the door when I suggested it. Why is it interesting?"

"And that's a sure sign." Han nodded, and then explained, "Luke's in love with her too."

"Really!" Lando snorted.

"Yup! But he didn't think she was interested in him, what with you two dating and all."

"What? Luke fell for that? I would have thought he'd be the first to see through our ruse. I guess Mara and I are better actors than we thought."

"What are you two talking about?" Leia suddenly jumped in the image. She was wearing a fluffy bedroom robe and her hair was loose and it looked like it had just been combed.

Turning to her, Han explained. "Luke is in love with Mara Jade and Mara Jade is in love with Luke. We just figured it out."

"Luke and Mara?" Leia frowned. "I did not see that one coming."

Turning back to Lando and putting his hand between Leia and his mouth as if to block her from what he was about to say, Han commented. "I guess having the Force is useless when it comes to these things."

"I heard that." Leia said dryly, but left it at that. There were more important matters to attend now, like her brother's happiness. "If it's mutual, why don't they just get together?"

"Because, each of them believes the other does not share the feeling." Lando proceeded to explain Mara's behavior and reaction, aided and supported by several comments from Han, who told Luke's side of the story.

"Oh." Leia sighed after hearing the full account. She hated to admit it, but her husband's earlier statement was apparently very accurate. "So, what are we gonna do?"

"Lock 'em in a room together and let them sort it out." Han suggested, smirking.

"Yeah, no! I'd like my brother to come out of this alive and unharmed."

"Get them drunk and hope it loosens their tongue?" Lando put out.

"I don't know," Han waved. "Most times Luke gets drunk, he just starts singing old tunes and he's very off-key."

"And that would probably be counterproductive." Leia commented.

"Oh, I know," Han continued, "Luke should kidnap Mara and make her marry him."

"Yeah! Pull a Han Solo." Lando laughed.

"Hey, it worked on Leia." Han responded, putting his arm around his wife and being swatted and called 'nerf' for it.

After a few more suggestions from the two former scoundrels, Leia, who had been sitting quietly, finally said: "Hmm, I think I have an idea."

~ * ~

After her abrupt departure, Mara wandered the city for well over one hour. Even though her exterior seemed collected, inside she was in turmoil. How had it come to this? How had she managed to get so tangled up in an unrequited love? And how the hell was she gonna get rid of it?

That last thought almost made Mara laugh. If it was possible to get rid of her feelings for the Jedi Master, she would have done it already. It wasn't for a lack of trying.

Maybe she should just put some distance between herself and Luke. With that thought in mind, Mara made for her ship. If it depended on her, it would be a long long time before she saw or even heard of Luke Skywalker.

TBC...
    Last edited by Hazel, Jan 4, 2013
  24. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    [face_laugh] Yes, indeedy I love the "disarrayed" state H/L are in [face_laugh] And I love the run-down you gave of Luke's track record :p but hey what counts is this time [face_dancing]
    Last edited by Jade_eyes, Jan 4, 2013
    Hazel likes this.
  25. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Luke is such a farmboy. Love this and Luke has to hurry to catch up with Mara[face_laugh]
    Hazel likes this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade