main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph David Bowie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We've actually already heard some of Blackstar on the radio! Maybe Canada is just really awesome. :p

Thank you! :)
    The spoiler tags are a bit of a habit. :p

I actually felt less sad after Blackstar. It just seemed like a very fitting way to say goodbye.

What an informative article. :p

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    R.I.P. to a rare one-of-a-kind performer :( Still in shock over his passing. He was amazing at everything he did.

4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Oddly enough, I watched The Prestige twice shortly before his passing. My girlfriend and I just watched Labyrinth in honor of him.

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I bought the Blackstar album a couple days ago. I've never listened to David Bowie before, not because I dislike him or anything, but I just usually don't listen to songs.

I like it a lot. "Blackstar" is my favorite. It helps me to read the lyrics as I'm listening so I can understand them.

What would be the next Bowie album I should get?

6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Go back one, The Next Day. It's rare that an artist does their best work in their latter career. It's especially rare that this occurs over two albums on a consecutive basis. The Next Day is nothing like Blackstar and is a testament to Bowie's fear of artistic boredom. That's the album I started with.

7. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would say if you have an hour or so every couple of days, you can also do the complete collection from 1966 to 2016 pretty easily too, then decide what to buy and go from there. Casually, not in chronological order, however you'd like. I just can't recommend any one album without knowing someone really well.

But The Next Day and Low would probably be good places if I had to pick, IMO.

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Each of Bowie's albums were so different from whichever preceded or proceeded that there is no point in trying to listen to them in order. There's no logical flow to his sound album to album or transition. Bowie is as Bowie does. I only have two albums and a compilation album. Basically, i'm just going to start with the parent albums of the tracks I happen to like. Whichever album Rebel Rebel appears on has my attention.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i dunno, i've listened to all of his albums tons of times and i think there is definitely a logical flow. in any case it's worth it to spend the time to get to know his whole catalog, and that's what makes him rare among artists.

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I see. So, should I go all the way back and start at the beginning? Or is it fine just to go back one for now, as TWT recommended?

I think one of the reasons I'm really drawn to Bowie is that he just seems to defy categories, or at least more successfully than most other modern artists. It's like, I think if I listen to Bowie, I'm listening to Bowie, and not just "rock" or "jazz" or "pop" or whatever genre his music would be called. Forgive me, I'm really not too well informed about musical genres, anyway.

11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Admittedly the Berlin Trilogy might be a good start: Low, Heroes, and Lodger.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've heard good things from people who've tried this flowchart, maybe give it a whirl? Trying Low and Ziggy Stardust is hardly a bad route regardless.

14. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004

See, the problem with that is I don't even really know what "experimental" or "glam rock" are. :p

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Glam rock is kind of overblown and campy, experimental means not commercial airplay friendly, ie more atmospheric instrumentals rather than a lot of catchy songs.

Both Ziggy Stardust and Low are really good, but Ziggy is a concept album that tells a story, whilst Low is Bowie getting wierd and arty.

Coruscant likes this.
  16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Listen to both, pursue the branch you find more intriguing. No need to sweat the terminology.

yankee8255 and Coruscant like this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Nothing Has Changed is a really good career overview. It starts with The Next Day and then goes backwards to his very first single as David Jones. Three discs. Hearing it backwards is an interesting experience. Lots of outtakes and alternate versions, etc.

yankee8255 and Coruscant like this.
  18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I believe there are Nothing Has Changed configurations that go in chronological order, not reverse.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So my original plan was to rename this thread into an appreciation thread once some days had passed and everyone knew about Bowie's passing away. I think it's time.

yankee8255 likes this.
  20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Agreed.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There are, yes. There's a one-disc edition and also a two-disc edition that both go in chronological order. I recommend the three-disc edition, which is in reverse chronological order. I'm obviously not averse to a standard chronological order, but the three disc has . . . well, an extra seventy-odd minutes of music, which is enough to recommend it.

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That's available on Amazon Prime here. One drawback: the shorter single version of Heroes.