main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

David Brin's commentary on AOTC and what it reveals...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Kiki-Gonn, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    If Yoda had trained Luke as a child, he would have been putting young Luke in danger. As it turned out, a 17 year old Luke would have a better chance of at least defending himself from Vader and the Emperor.

I don't know if Brin's theory is the correct one but I do think it could work.

2. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    Also, I don't think that Yoda and Palps are in cahoots, but that the twins are hidden from them both by Obi Wan and Anakin.

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Tobie-Wan,

I don't think the Palpy/Yoda thing would work. I think it opens up more plot holes than it would fill.

The twins were hidden from both the Emperor and Anakin.

Obi-Wan and Yoda knew where they were.

Lady S.

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't think Yoda told Obi-Wan about Leia, because Yoda had to tell him there was another in ESB.

5. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Gomer,

Obi-Wan took Leia to Alderaan to be raised by his friend, King Bail.

So, he knew about her, he just didn't know she could use the force.

Lady Sami

6. JediHeretic47

JediHeretic47 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    I agree that I don't think Padme could just be written off as a minor character. I can see somebody didn't read my Prequel Feminism articles, but I'll let that slide. :)

Anyway, I think Brin and other "trendy" writers simply have a problem with not only the idea of a Chosen One, but even the idea of a hero period.

IMO, the bottom line simply is that I go to Star Wars and the like for myth. If I want didactic social commentary, I'll watch 60 Minutes.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't think Obi-Wan knew.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He knew. He just didn't see her as being viable. She had attachments to Han Solo and a temper to match. Unlike Luke, who was raised with a bare minimun of attachments, she didn't. Which is why he was hedging on Luke, but Yoda saw someone else. He couldn't see the face, but knew that whoever it was, would destroy the Sith. He assumed it might've been Leia.

9. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Well, Leia did do her part in bringing down the Sith. Palpatine was distracted enough by the Luke/Vader duel that his control of the Battle started ebbing a bit. If Vader hadn't taken out the Emperor, Leia and Han would have blown the s@#$ out of the Death Star anyway.

Maybe Leia is the Chosen One after all?

[face_shocked]

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If he knew she were Anakin's offspring, he would have considered her an option. It's not like women were never Jedi or anything like that.

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    No, it's actually Lando!!!

Who would have guessed?!

-dust

12. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    So, Go-mer, are you contending that Obi-Wan's speech to Luke about his twin sister was only recently learned by Kenobi himself? It doesn't play that way in the film--Ben seems to have known this information all along.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    ESB:

Obi-Wan Kenobi: That boy is our only hope.

Yoda: No. There is another...

14. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Actually, Mr. Tonic, to be accurate, Obi-Wan's line is, "That boy is our last hope." What this could mean concerning Obi-Wan's knowledge of Leia is anyone's guess, especially given Lucas' penchant for last-minute manipulation of the facts. Perhaps he himself--Lucas--did not know that he meant this line to refer to Leia. Perhaps he only decided to make Luke and Leia siblings during the writing of ROTJ. Certainly the early drafts of STAR WARS offer nothing more than that Deak Starkiller--Luke's brother--was captured by Vader and rescued by Luke and Han from the Death Star. The bottom line is that we have no evidence one way or the other. Kenobi's detailed speech in Ep.VI gives the impression that he has known all along about the twins. Perhaps the lines you quote from ESB indicate only that Yoda is reminding Ben of Leia's Force potential.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Leia as the sister came while writting ROTJ. Leia was a danger because she had attachments. Look what they did to Anakin. That's why he said that. Also, Obi-wan knew that time was running out. Yoda was dying and Leia couldn't hear either of them. Who would train her if Luke died or turned?

16. CranieAmidala

CranieAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2001
    I didn't bother reading thru the first 24 pages of posts.
    I just have to write this...

What do people think about the Obi & Vader Vs. The Empire statement?
    Once you stop and think about it, it kinda makes sence. Vader not really wanting to be on the Dark side, but since he is, trying to bring it down from the inside.
    I'm not going to bother to write down all the examples right now and debate them, but I'll have to re-watch the OT and try to notice it for myself...

Care to discuss this topic further?
    (cranie_amidala@hotmail.com)

17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Personally I think it makes about as much sense as Jar Jar being the gunman on the grassy knoll but, hey, I'm not the smartest guy around... I'm just surprised this thread continued to grow while I was off on vacation.
    Maybe I'll shoot you a note when I get a little more caught up here at work.

18. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Wow! I thought this thread got locked!

But apparently it remains open. Therefore, up you go, my friend. Back to page one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.