David Brin's commentary on AOTC and what it reveals...

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Kiki-Gonn, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    If AOTC's plot was paper thin, maybe more critics would have understood it. ;)
  2. JediHeretic47 Jedi Master

star 1
    There's nothing much to talk about?!?!

Go read the Official Love Story thread or the Mythology of AOTC thread or the Anakin and Padme symbolism thread. Please!
  3. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    Why does half the world seem to hate Star Wars these days though? The PT is just kind of sad to me.

And I like GL, I think he's a really great, kind guy, but why isnt he making very good films anymore? When I was a kid, all I remember was the EVERYONE loved SW. Now its something that "Trekkies" or nerds like, who dont get out much and collect figures and lives in their parents basement.
  4. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    No matter how many times you try to tell TokyoXtreme he doesn't belong here, his posts will continue to be interesting and well thought out and a great contribution to this forum.
  5. JediHeretic47 Jedi Master

star 1
    Like Wordsworth said, "Half perceive, half-create."

6. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    Yodaschum, you have to remember that without the below-average TPM, we would not have that incredibly hilarious TPM/Lucas documentary "The Beginning"... would we? There's me, always trying to look at the bright side. Still, it seems like an awfully steep price to pay!

Go read the Official Love Story thread or the Mythology of AOTC thread or the Anakin and Padme symbolism thread. Please!

For more desconstructionist theories and discussion of elements and situations that Lucas himself never considered or cared about. One of the reasons I avoid such threads is because I feel strange spending more time analyzing elements than Lucas himself probably spent writing the same elements. "Blue and green for good guys, red for the bad guys. Purple? Ah, what the hell. Here 'ya go Sam."
  7. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Why does half the world seem to hate Star Wars these days though?

I don't get that impression at all. A lot of people I know love it, so maybe I live in the half of the world that still likes Star Wars.
  8. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For more desconstructionist theories and discussion of elements and situations that Lucas himself never considered or cared about. One of the reasons I avoid such threads is because I feel strange spending more time analyzing elements than Lucas himself probably spent writing the same elements. "Blue and green for good guys, red for the bad guys. Purple? Ah, what the hell. Here 'ya go Sam."

Hey, Jabba, is this an example of TokyoXtreme's "well thought out contributions" to the forum? Frankly, I'd say that him dishing on Lucas is about par for the course.
  9. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to mention the fact that in the documentary, GL looks like someone who really doesnt want to be there. If you look closely, all the other members of the crew are like, "wow, its Star Wars! We're making Star Wars!", they are like fans. Where as GL is like,"argh christ, why did I agree into making the prequels?"
  10. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    Wait, Durwood, you forgot that Lucas giving Sam a purple lightsaber is just another example of his inability to work with actors. ;)

11. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not to mention the fact that in the documentary, GL looks like someone who really doesnt want to be there. If you look closely, all the other members of the crew are like, "wow, its Star Wars! We're making Star Wars!", they are like fans. Where as GL is like,"argh christ, why did I agree into making the prequels?"

(I really wish TFn would create a "rolls eyes" emote-icon since that is the only appropriate response to this post.)
  12. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to mention the fact that in the documentary, GL looks like someone who really doesnt want to be there

Actually, to me it looks like GL is just acting in the role of a parent-- calm, composed, and in control of what's going on. Since he's the director I think him being composed and in control is a good thing.
  13. Flask Jedi Master

star 4
    Brin is a hypocrit. His touted magnum opus, "The Postman," STUNK! Big time. It was awful. My god, The Postman was ten times more idiotic than The Phantom Menace . . .

. . . and Brin is criticizing Lucas? LOL.

Money envy. ;)

14. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    The PT is all very well, but its not until you start looking at other sci-fi films that it looks poor. Take "alien" for example by Ridley Scott. The concept work on that film is far better than the concept work in the PT. The designs of the Alien by H R Giger, the face-huggers, the crashed abandoned space-ship. The space-jockey. Thats how to design and conceptualise. Now of course, Ridley scott was obviously inspired by SW into making a sc-fi crowd pleaser, but that only shows how good ANH was. The conceptualisation of the PT - its not really very good, at least not as good as the OT. "Red for bad guys, blue or green for good, but OK because its you Sam you can have purple", it just comes across as disspasionate on lucas' part. THINK about the concept for AOTC, its just a re-hash of things that have been done before. The aliens from close encounters. The arena from Gladiator, the insects that look like a cross between starship troopers bugs and antz. Yoda - we all know about him. Then clones - basically stormtroopers. Gunships - gunships. The orb spaceships, probably one hint of imagination. I know Lucas likes to make a homage to old movies, but why is he making homages to films like Starship Troopers? I dont understand why their is such a distinct lack of imagination in PT.
  15. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    Show of hands: how many of you have read the novel "The Postman", which is the only connection to the Costner film that Brin is responsible for?

I'm sorry that you do not find my posts engaging Durwood. Similarly, I do not care for your posts, the majority of which are personal attacks against your fellow Star Wars fans. Mysterious and disturbing, this puzzle of why you haven't been banned yet is.
  16. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't suppose Star Destroyers look like Navy Battle Ships at all.

Or X-Wings like jet fighters.

Or land speeders like convertibles.

Or Death Stars like planets.

Or AT-AT's like dinosaurs.

17. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    yodaschum, I think I read something in Empire Building, or perhaps on-line, in which Lucas told Kershner that a proper Jedi uses his lightsaber with both hands on the handle... I believe because this was supposed to be consistent with the samurai tradition? I seem to remember that Lucas had several rules dictating the proper lightsaber style and technique that Jedi were supposed to cling to while fighting. It appears that those rules have long since been discarded, and now anything goes.

Similarly, I once believed that saber colors had some kind of deeper, philosophical meaning. Now I know that it is an aribitrary decision of no underlying importance. I am therefore forced to wonder the same about other aspects of the entire saga.
  18. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    The Abstract said: Or X-Wings like jet fighters.

Or land speeders like convertibles.

Or Death Stars like planets.

Or AT-AT's like dinosaurs.

But thats clever! Art is meant to reflect life. In the PT though, Lucas is just reflecting his OWN films. The only thing that was of any good in the PT was the pod-race which was based on a go-kart event for kids. Even that turned out like Wacky races.

yodaschum, I think I read something in Empire Building, or perhaps on-line, in which Lucas told Kershner that a proper Jedi uses his lightsaber with both hands on the handle... I believe because this was supposed to be consistent with the samurai tradition? I seem to remember that Lucas had several rules dictating the proper lightsaber style and technique that Jedi were supposed to cling to while fighting. It appears that those rules have long since been discarded, and now anything goes.

Of course its been discarded. They were discarded a long time ago. I read alot about George Lucas' life, I've followed his career from since I can remember. If you ask me, it was when his wife, Marcia, left him that things started to go wrong. That was half way into Return of the Jedi and if you look at that film half of it is good and half of it is not so good. I believe that he was trying to apologise to her by making the Ewoks. She complained that he spent too much time working and not devoting himself to her and the children. I think he's been apologising to her ever since.
  19. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    Perhaps you missed the Naboo ships; Dooku's solar sail; Jedi starfighers;

I thought the Trade Federation ships were pretty clever. I never would of thought they could detach like that.

I guess all the ships on Coruscant go by too quick for anyone too notice.

I liked the Trade Federation wheel-missle vehicles. And the Giant Spiders.

20. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    But it's a free country.

Which is the crux, isn't it?

(Nicked from an earlier post, a DIRECT quote from Mr. PHD David Brin.) It seems Mr. Brin, for all of his education is lacking basic grammar skills... If you go back and find it, you'll see that not only is he misinformed, but also arrogent beyond all comprehension...

"Sheep" huh?....

*sigh*
  21. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps you missed the Naboo ships; Dooku's solar sail; Jedi starfighers;

I thought the Trade Federation ships were pretty clever. I never would of thought they could detach like that.

I guess all the ships on Coruscant go by too quick for anyone too notice.

I liked the Trade Federation wheel-missle vehicles. And the Giant Spiders.

Abstract, its just a question of taste, but I don't like the design of any of these things. They are ugly. The OT ships were beautiful to look at.
  22. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
  23. The_Abstract Force Ghost

star 4
    Back on topic, I feel that The Postman should become the standarized test for those who suffer from insomnia.

If it's a boring movie, I hate to see the book.
  24. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    its just a question of taste

EXACTLY!
  25. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Just thinking about Ridley Scott's Alien, which absolutely defines sci-fi horror. It is a near-perfect sci fi film and a near-perfect horror film. The art design serves the story in every frame of the movie. Everything you see is necessary. There is an elegant economy of imagery that I also find present in ANH.

The PT cluster-bombs its audience with a non-stop assault of visual imagery, much of which does not seem necessary. The message it sends is "hey, look at this amazing art design," not "hey, look at this amazing story."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.